Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Default Spare tire carrier

I have a PM 3500 and just had a front hitch installed with plans to carry my spare up front. I purchased a Curt spare tire carrier but the rim offset is too deep by about an inch and the tire doesn't fit. I called Curt to see if they made an adapter/ spacer and they don't. They have no suggestions of what I can do to resolve the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
puppybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppybus View Post
I have a PM 3500 and just had a front hitch installed with plans to carry my spare up front. I purchased a Curt spare tire carrier but the rim offset is too deep by about an inch and the tire doesn't fit. I called Curt to see if they made an adapter/ spacer and they don't. They have no suggestions of what I can do to resolve the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

There should be wheel spacers available, I think, from the aftermarket companies that make them for wheel fitments on vehicles. You would need the bolt circle diameter and stud size and number or studs. You would probably also need to have longer studs in the carrier.

Can you just turn the wheel backwards and mount it on the other face?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi: Can you tell me where you got the front hitch? Was it custom made and installed?

Thanks
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #4

I got the hitch from van compass vancompass.com It swaps out the factory bumper and will require a small area to be cut out under the front license plate. A simple install
puppybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I would start with the concept of the "coupling nut" idea. I see them at my local ACE Hardware. Use grade 8 bolts with them.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Bronze Member

There are a few folks on the Travato FB group who have done a similar front spare tire mount. Possibly check there for solutions.
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #7

I use w Wilco off-road swing away spare tire carrier mounted on the rear hitch on a 2016 Travato. Works great and swings away from Back right door. The Wilco carrier also has a hitch location built in rated at 5000 lbs towing.
rico60NY is offline   Reply With Quote