Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Three Adult Bikes

Does anyone have good ideas on how to carry 3 adult bikes off the back of a sprinter 144 (a someday-will-arrive 2021.5 Pleasureway Ascent)? This would be for day trips, where we want to easily toss the bikes on a mount, drive an hour to "somewhere", and go biking for a few hours. I'd rather not have to deal with a system where I'm taking tires off or spending two hours to get everything secured. Our lifestyle is more like, "Hey, I'm bored. Let's go to trail and ride our bikes", and we're off. Ideally, some modular unit (owlbox support structure?) that could be either easily put on / off or folded up out of the way when not in use.

Thoughts?
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

all kinds of hitch carriers for bikes available.

I'd see if a 2" hitch receiver is available for the FRONT of that van

- front because then the bikes are out of the way if you are camping and in and out the rear doors

otherwise rear hitch, most RV's have a 2" receiver at the rear.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
Bronze Member

I use a steel Hollywood brand 4 bike carrier into the rear 2" receiver. It does tilt to allow rear door access but with even 2 bikes on, it is awkward. Some of the more modern hitch racks use aluminum and are much lighter as will be your wallet.

Be very careful backing up with bikes aboard... even with a good backup camera, i have come much closer to embarrassment than I like to admit. Cheers and good riding!
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote