Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default True Sine 1800W inverter UL SAE CSA low price

I came across an Eaton / Cooper Bussmann 1800W True Sine Wave inverter with built in 20A rated transfer switch on Amazon.ca at what looks to me to be a pretty good price.

CDN $415 on Amazon.ca (Canada) delivered tax inc. Shipped by Amazon.

$300 to $350 on Amazon.com - I don't understand the different prices from the same seller ? ? ? Might be shipped by the seller and not by Amazon. Maybe someone with a Prime account could check. Same seller as on Amazon.ca.

I have absolutely no connection to the seller or Eaton / Cooper Bussmann.

There are higher priced models that also include a built in charger. The low priced units are for the inverter with a built-in transfer switch (no charger). The 20A transfer switch is ideal for a branch circuit in an RV.

I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon.ca. I have no idea how good it is but thought I'd share the info. It's marketed to the trucking industry for use in sleeper cabs powering microwave ovens and CPAP's and laptops etc.

More info:

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...-inverter.html

or

https://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...rter/index.htm

Check page 32 for MIL spec (Vibration & Shock), SAE tests, UL & CSA standards here: http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...2-110-1xxx.pdf -

Looks very similar structurally to some Xantrex models but the specs don't match exactly. The similar looking Xantrex units look to be ETL listed and perhaps do not have actual UL or CSA marks. Check it out for yourself.

While researching this inverter I came across a few posts on RV forums about some similar looking Xantrex units not liking Onan generator power if out of spec. I don't have a Onan so not a concern for me. Probably worth looking into if you plan to use the builtin transfer switch and also use an Onan. I don't know if the Eaton / Cooper brand inverter has any connection to the Xantrex brand. The remote panel & errors codes etc are very similar though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It arrived today, brand new, 1800W unit, (2000W 5 sec, 3600W surge). Measures approx 9.5" (mounting feet) x 18". Nice that AC wiring strain reliefs & DC terminal rubber boots are included. A cable is also include if you want to mount the display somewhere else. Actual UL Listed label as advertised. Wall mountable.

It'll likely be a while before I install it. I'll try to remember to update this topic after using it.

1800W True Sine.JPG
Old 11-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I decided to test the inverter to make sure it worked and it does. Setup was easy & the manual is good. The audible alarm can be disabled. I left it enabled. There are 3 low battery voltage settings available. I chose "Low" which gives an input voltage range of 10.5 – 16.0VDC. "Mid" allows 11.8 – 16.0VDC and "High" allows 12.2 – 16.0VDC.

I ran a 32" Samsung LED TV for an hour on battery and the fan never came on. The fan did come on with a 700W load.

No Load power consumption was 0.84A. Like most inverters, just turn it off when not needed.

Transfer from battery to shore power takes maybe 20 seconds because it is checking AC quality to make sure that it is acceptable. Transfer from shore power to battery is fast with no noticeable interruption to the Samsung TV for example. You can notice the switch over with an incandescent bulb.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Seeking your thought before I post a new thread. I have a 2006 RT with a 750w TrippLite Inverter Charger that is modified sine wave. Newer stuff won't run off it. I am thinking of adding a 2000w pure sine wave inverter, leaving the TrippLite in place in charge only mode. In conjunction with the capacity increase I would like to distribute inverted power to all the outlets instead of just the two served by the TrippLite, but not sure how/where this limited distribution takes place. Advice welcome...
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Seeking your thoughts before I post a new thread. I have a 2006 RT with a 750w TrippLite Inverter Charger that is modified sine wave. Newer stuff won't run off it. I am thinking of adding a 2000w pure sine wave inverter, leaving the TrippLite in place in charge only mode. In conjunction with the capacity increase I would like to distribute inverted power to all the outlets instead of just the two served by the TrippLite, but not sure how/where this limited distribution takes place. Advice welcome...
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

On my van, there are two circuits with outlets. I just ran one of those circuits through an 15A automatic transfer switch. This new inverter with a built in 20A transfer switch will let me take that 15A ATS and the previous inverter out. On a larger RV, I did what you're planning.

It would be best to start a new topic though. Someone might have already done what you're planning & have specific advice.