Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #21

Default Advanced RV

I thought I'd jump in here as I'm the owner of the "Travato" that David is referring to. My coach is actually a 2017 Pleasureway Lexor TS that is also built on the Ducato/Promaster chassis. I personally upgraded the electrical system with a Nations 280A alternator, Xantrex SW-3012 inverter and a 600AH LiFeP04 battery bank and then turned to Advanced RV for a number of upgrades.

Advanced RV is a great group of folks to work with. Their work is top notch. Last September I had them install the VB Air rear suspension and this year I had them install the VB Air front coil springs, an E&P leveling system and the new air conditioner.

The new air conditioner has been a remarkable improvement over my old Dometic Penguin II in terms of efficiency and noise level. My Lexor is my full time vehicle and mobile office. I am now able to sit in the rear area under the unit and have a phone conversation at a normal voice level. While driving I'm able to have a conversation with passengers in the rear seat with the unit running. I highly recommend it.

I just tested the current surge as the compressor engaged. My Xantrex reported a surge to 820 watts and then settled in at about 1000W. Its apparent that there is a capacitor assisting with the start up process.
siduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Some people like to grouse and stir the pot for nothing but their own amusement apparently. Those are the types I'd decline to do business with.

I'm tempted to go on an upgrade tour of sorts when I get my new GL in July. I'm thinking about traveling to Holland, MI to get another module installed in the Volta battery pack. A new air conditioner, air suspension and levelers would probably set you back another $15k or so - that's a pretty sizeable investment for a Promaster!

Does their air suspension have adjustable lift for when you are off-pavement? That could be handy.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #23
Platinum Member

VB Air Suspension does not "lift" to my knowledge when driving. It maintains load leveling. Also it is the back axle only. I use it in campgrounds to force level a couple in inches because parked it seems to seek the high point which is not necessarily level and I have to override mostly to its lowest point. In many cases it takes out the natural drainage slope toward the road of gravel campsites. Probably about a lego blocks worth.

The FitRV tested it and made a video. You can judge the worth of it there. In EB Sprinters especially with the back sofa it is very much desired if you have passengers back there. It takes the bounce out. It also provides more stability in high winds and dampens the rebound rocking back and forth on uneven terrain. It is smoother in going over railroad tracks and road joints. Don't think it would save you with potholes considering your front tires are going to get there first.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siduri View Post
I thought I'd jump in here as I'm the owner of the "Travato" that David is referring to. My coach is actually a 2017 Pleasureway Lexor TS that is also built on the Ducato/Promaster chassis.
Guilty. I find it hard to refer to Promaster like many fail to refer to it as RAM and not Dodge. Travato in a few short years has become the Kleenex name for me.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #25

No worries David. I understand. Hope to see you at B-16!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #26

Yes it does but its only in the rear and does not move the beam axle any higher so its not going to be much help to gain offload clearance.

I don't hesitate to invest in my Promaster. I think its a terrific base for an RV and I plan to keep it for quite a while. Each of the upgrades has been worth the investment for how I use the vehicle. I often have rear seat passengers and the VB Air system has made the ride comfortable for them. The improvement in handling/safety has also been great. The E&P Leveling system allows me to level out easily in urban environments. I'm often parked at a curb and its great to just push a button and level out. Its also convenient at campsites. The benefits of the AC are described above.

I find that half the fun of owning one of these vehicles is modifying it to meet my requirements. Advanced RV has been a great partner in helping me get there.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Advanced RV is a great group of folks to work with. Their work is top notch. Last September I had them install the VB Air rear suspension and this year I had them install the VB Air front coil springs, an E&P leveling system and the new air conditioner.
Can you provide some before and after observations regarding the VB rear suspension and the VB Air front coil springs?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #28

In summary the vehicle has much better stability. I had a sway bar and Sumo springs before the upgrade. They were both removed during the VB Air installation. Some specific observations are below.

No spring bounce experienced by rear seat passengers.
Less rocking when turning through dips.
Less sway due to wind and traffic air disturbance.
Less lean during high speed lane changes and when rounding corners.
Less forward dive during braking.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
In summary the vehicle has much better stability. I had a sway bar and Sumo springs before the upgrade. They were both removed during the VB Air installation. Some specific observations are below.

No spring bounce experienced by rear seat passengers.
Less rocking when turning through dips.
Less sway due to wind and traffic air disturbance.
Less lean during high speed lane changes and when rounding corners.
Less forward dive during braking.
Thanks for the report. How do you like the E&P levelers? Are the front coil springs part of the standard VB package for the Promaster or is it a separate upgrade?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 AM   #30
Silver Member

Default No A/C For Me Please

After much consideration, I am actually having the Aktiv's Dometic rooftop A/C unit removed. I never use it except to run it every few months as instructed in the owner's manual. If I need the rig cooler than the fans and open windows can achieve when I go to bed I chose the wrong place to camp!

I am having a second Fantastic-Vent 7350 installed in it's place. It will be so nice to have the fan drawing over the bed. Besides, after 26k miles It was time to make the rig mine and stop thinking about resale in 8-10 years.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:52 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMTNS View Post
After much consideration, I am actually having the Aktiv's Dometic rooftop A/C unit removed. I never use it except to run it every few months as instructed in the owner's manual. If I need the rig cooler than the fans and open windows can achieve when I go to bed I chose the wrong place to camp!

I am having a second Fantastic-Vent 7350 installed in it's place. It will be so nice to have the fan drawing over the bed. Besides, after 26k miles It was time to make the rig mine and stop thinking about resale in 8-10 years.
You might want to use a MaxxAir vent fan that works in the rain...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:22 AM   #32
Silver Member

I thought about the MaxxAir but decided I wanted identical fans, with the low-profile and rain sensor closing option.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote