Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Water flow meter

I really like the water flow meter I got off Amazon.

The first one I ordered never came and I got a refund. I got the idea from a clever RT owner.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post30647

No problem getting the second one & I use it now because of being concerned about excess weight while towing.

I filled the tank in the van today and it took 29.9 gallons in the fresh water tank which I think is a good capacity. It will tie in nicely with the travel trailer when dry camping. The specs for the travel trailer say 40 gallons fresh but it turns out to be more like 30 gallons usable after subtracting the water heater & accounting for the position of the tank's pickup line. I have a method of connecting the van tank to the pump fill option on the travel trailer and the 29 or so gallons from the van means one trip to get water will pretty much top off the trailer tank when needed. I could fill both tanks when near or at arrival and have about 60 gallons usable on site.

For travel, it's easy now to put 10 gallons in for example so that I'm not hauling unnecessary weight around.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I wanted to check the capacity of my fresh water tank, but so far I found it to tedious to do it using a container. This would be just the thing. Any idea how precise it is?

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Last year you mentioned $13 or $14 on Amazon. Would you have a link to the Amazon page where it's listed?
William
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It was US$ 11.89 in July 2015 on Amazon.com but it never arrived & I got a full refund. It's up a bit now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M

I ended up paying almost $25CDN for it: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IZ5E93Q - I had another another small item in the cart to qualify for the over CDN$25 order for free shipping.

I had a US gallon jug and ran 1 gallon through the meter and the jug was filled to just below the spout. I also ran 2 gallons through the meter into a bucket with imperial measurement markings and it ended up being just under the 7 imperial quarts line. So I'd say they're accurate enough for these type of jobs.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:41 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks Marco.

William
Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm still getting use out of this water meter. It's very handy to have.

The latest use was for checking the grey tank and black tank capacity and also checking how the indicator lights on the monitor panel compare to fluid levels in the tanks.

This testing was on my older Triple E Class A motorhome. The brochure didn't split the grey and black tanks individual capacities and instead just listed a 78 gallon holding tank capacity.

I particularly wanted to test the capacity of the grey waste tank because, based on the monitor panel indicator lights, it would get full faster than I expected.

The testing showed that the grey tank capacity is 40 gallons and the black tank is 38 gallons.

The monitor panel light indicator system is calibrated nicely for the black tank with the 1/2 full light coming on at 20 gallons and Full coming on at 34 gallons - only 4 gallons less than actual full capacity but still an adequate and useful margin. I won't adjust that calibration.

The monitor panel light indicator system for the grey tank was not calibrated accurately for the grey tank with the 3/4 light coming on at 14 gallons and full coming on at 21 gallons with 19 gallons worth of space remaining to actual full capacity. I've adjusted that calibration now so that the Full indicator light comes on at 38 gallons - only two gallons from actual full capacity. I might further tweak that setting such as maybe having the Full light come on with say still leaving enough space in the tank for one or two more showers. I'll use it and think about for a bit.

Here's a video I found on Youtube showing how to calibrate the monitor panel light indicator system: