Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #1

Default DIY campervan concept / brainstorm with slide out storage

So I'm still in the design / brainstorm stage, but I had a neat idea that I haven't seen anywhere and I'm wondering if that's for a reason.

So for our purposes I need a somewhat agile campervan that can sleep 3 adults and a child. Tall order I know. I'm thinking an extended ford transit as the base, 4x4 if possible. Figuring how I would fit 3 beds and all the needed amenities into that tiny space has been challenging.

Then I saw the CargoGlide system. It's a heavy duty tray that glides out of the cargo area of van, the bed itself is plywood. I was thinking I could use this as the foundation for an RV style slideout that goes out the back cargo door.

My initial thought was to make it a slide out bed. But then I'd have to have a path all the way from the slideout to the main living spaces. Then it occurred to me that we're gonna have substantial storage needs. So my current idea is to have the slide out contain a hardshell enclosed storage "shed" and maybe some drawers.

The fold up beds will unfold into the empty internal space freed up by the slideout storage. Maybe even an external slide out propane stove.

Tricky bits, as I see it:
* constructing the storage unit to be strong enough to be (black) bearproof and reasonably secure against human breakin.
* building the storage unit roof to be weatherproof. Building a rainproof and insulated gasket between the slideout and the van so that rain doesnt get in and cool/warm air doesn't get out.
* Building the custom bunks.

From there it would just be a standard campervan conversion.

Any thoughts on the concept? Problems? Ideas? Has anyone seen anything like this in the wild or on the internet? I've seen crazy ultra luxury professional sprinter builds with pull outs but I've seen very few DIY attempts. Has anyone tried it?
TheStatistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:14 AM   #2
Bronze Member

For your beds you can get inspiration by looking at safari condo XL22.
You could maybe have two beds one on top of the other where the top one can be dropped using cables like the XL22. I'm also brainstorming...

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl22-xl-flex/
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Chameleon launch new motorhome with slide-out rear section to sleep 4

That was back in 2010. Never seen one.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Roadtrek also had a similar concept around 2010. We looked at one at a camper show and we’re not impressed. Slide out took up too much room when in and too much hassle to extend. Roadtrek’s owner Hanemaayer was there and asked our opinion. I don’t think they sold many. We looked at a 210P and decided that was for us. If we had needed to sleep 4 we would have opted for the 210Versatile. We still like our 210P and have not seen anything else we would replace it with.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you are looking to build your own camper van, try this ProMaster URL, as there are a lot of DIY builds. Just do an intro post first and then start searching for builds.
https://www.promasterforum.com/

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #6

Hm. I found a DIY slide out build. Looks cool.

https://youtu.be/KT74OsJgU_M
Old 03-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We had 2 Westfalia camper vans capable to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids. It was tight but proven and in production by some and by DIY. Westfalia James Cook has a nice extension.

https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/en/m...elldach_en.php
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (1.26 MB, 14 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
In designing my camper van, ARV said I would have to have a second exit out the back door from my beds in accordance with RVIA certification. This solution doesn't appear to do that unless that back window is an approved exit window. I've wondered if van manufacturers designed and intended to leave back doors open and exposed to inclement weather.

Anyway a slide out like that adds a lot of weight to a van and poses a lot of technical problems and historically have never took hold with the customers. There are many other ways to sleep four in a Class B without a slide out. Slide outs give you space but probably inhibits additional storage. One of my all-time favorites sleeping and traveling four was the Airstream Westfalia short Sprinter under 20 ft. sold in circa 2005. There are many new high body vans that have pop tops for upstair sleeping. There are lift beds to get bike storage and there are bunk beds both side with the lower bunks folding up to get that bulk like bike storage. To get a second row of seats for two extra passengers you most likely will need a van over 20 ft.

Preliminary plans would help to respond.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
We had 2 Westfalia camper vans capable to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids. It was tight but proven and in production by some and by DIY. Westfalia James Cook has a nice extension.

https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/en/m...elldach_en.php
That's a slick unit. Looks like you don't have to go outside to extend the slide. That was a big downside of the roadtrek as you had to open the rear doors to extend the slide.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

This is the picture of our 1985 Westfalia layout. The mid seat was removable on the right side of the galley. Middle seat with swiveled front seats and table attached to galley front right corner was a good dining area for 4. Westfalia was just shy of in 15’ length, but this was 1985, hamburgers were still single deckers, not triple deckers of today.
Attached Images
File Type: png sdg.png (401.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:20 AM   #11

I've heard that pop tops often compromise the structural integrity of the van,l causing problems in collisions. Accident safety is a pretty high priority.

Good points about the rear exit issue. Hmm.

As for the weight issue. The slide out would be built on a cargoglide base. You see those cargoglides all over the place, some with walls and ceilings attached. So it can't be that bad of a problem. For cargo unit structure I was thinking that Double wall polycarbonate has fantastic strength to weight ratio and doubles as insulation. . Could work great. I've seen it used in greenhouses and it's pretty easy to work with. Envelope math says the walls would weigh in under 25 lbs. I'd probably reinforce it a bunch and have internal divisions and drawers so it would weight much more, but still less than normal wood cabinets you see all over the place. I plan to be using lightweight materials all over the place to save of weight. For The bathroom for example I'd again be using polycarbonate walls rather than the wood I've seen elsewhere. Another bonus is you can get it with a condensation resistant coating which is a real plus.

The outer doors being exposed to rain might be a problem. I'll need to think on it.

I've been trying to find a 3d model of the inside of a long wheelbase low roof ford transit but I haven't found it anywhere. Every source I check cites slightly different dimensions for the inside of the cargo compartment so I'm having trouble figuring out how to start the design...

Low roof is a must because otherwise it wouldn't fit in the garage. It's gonna need to fit in the garage if I'm gonna work on it.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:31 AM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStatistor View Post
I've heard that pop tops often compromise the structural integrity of the van,l causing problems in collisions. Accident safety is a pretty high priority.
Another concern... when I was originally looking for a three-sleeper solution last year, the Winnebago Solis "popped up" on my radar. My wife took one look at it and said "No way. That's basically a tent." She was afraid that it would let in way too much cold and we'd freeze at night. If we wanted to sleep in a tent, she said, we could sleep in a tent for $109.00, not $109,000.00.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:35 AM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:

I've been trying to find a 3d model of the inside of a long wheelbase low roof ford transit but I haven't found it anywhere. Every source I check cites slightly different dimensions for the inside of the cargo compartment so I'm having trouble figuring out how to start the design...
I'm pretty sure SportsMobile has accurate dimensions for the purposes of conversions: https://sportsmobile.com/transit-van-info/
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:06 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

Good points about the rear exit issue. Hmm.

As for the weight issue. The slide out would be built on a cargoglide base. You see those cargoglides all over the place, some with walls and ceilings attached. So it can't be that bad of a problem. For cargo unit structure I was thinking that Double wall polycarbonate has fantastic strength to weight ratio and doubles as insulation. . Could work great. I've seen it used in greenhouses and it's pretty easy to work with. Envelope math says the walls would weigh in under 25 lbs. I'd probably reinforce it a bunch and have internal divisions and drawers so it would weight much more, but still less than normal wood cabinets you see all over the place. I plan to be using lightweight materials all over the place to save of weight. For The bathroom for example I'd again be using polycarbonate walls rather than the wood I've seen elsewhere. Another bonus is you can get it with a condensation resistant coating which is a real plus.

The outer doors being exposed to rain might be a problem. I'll need to think on it.

Low roof is a must because otherwise it wouldn't fit in the garage. It's gonna need to fit in the garage if I'm gonna work on it.
Average slide-out weighs 1000 lb. Needs sufficient rigidity to provide decent seal in open and close state. Slide outs industry is very mature but maintenance is still extensive, I am not sure one person can outdo NA industry low weight, low cost and low maintenance. EU RV industry is about 15 years ahead of NA, I would suggest to study their trends - https://archive.curbed.com/2019/5/31...e-camping-tips

Multiwall polycarbonate are strong sheets but compression-less attachment is difficult and could be expensive like for example epoxied in an aluminum U channel. I used double polycarbonate is a light weight wall, not structural, inserted to 80/20 series 15 (1.5") aluminum profile in rock&roll sofa bed cabinets ceiling.

You could consider this material is used as a structural element in marine and RV world - Thermo-Lite I used it for my conversion floor. Someone on the Sprinter forum used the same ½” material for his conversion.

Any slide out in a camper van could make it useless in a closed state, this could be one of the reason why they are not popular in NA nor in EU.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantonMac View Post
I'm pretty sure SportsMobile has accurate dimensions for the purposes of conversions: https://sportsmobile.com/transit-van-info/
Their floorplan for the Promaster is useful, but approximate at best. It is not "accurate."

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:20 AM   #16
Platinum Member

3 adults and a child in a low van with lots of storage.... This is a big request. Probably need to consider poptop of some sort to get headroom. Bathroom? I guess start with the seating requirement and work from there. You will likely need upper and lower sleeping with or without poptop. Could the child sleep across the van at the front seats? If child is sleeping you would lose the front seating.

I’d recommend longer van as starting point since probably too many compromises on short low van.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #17

I think the big trick in beating out industry is that my slide out won't be an internal space for habitation. Just storage. I suspect that will reduce the structural requirements somewhat. It also reduces the size expectations: it would be too low to live in.

Hmm now that I think about it it occurs to me that it doesn't actually have to be attached per se. It just needs to be a big heavy rainproof and bearproof box that I can somehow get in and out of the back door. Hmmm. Might be a simpler order....
Old 03-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #18

Current design has the kiddo sleeping over the seats, yeah. One east-west double bed and a single bunk with the legs underneath.

Going extended length or higher roof would require modifying the garage. Might be doable but that would depend on the mercurial moods of the Evil HoA Demons....
Old 03-27-2021, 06:18 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Lets-go-aero storage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2F5E89F-13DA-44B9-8105-933B0D2716C7.jpg (263.1 KB, 6 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I had a 19' PleasureWay class B MPL that slept four, without a slide or a pop-top. Both the driver's seat and the front passenger seat spun around to make beds with the second row seats, and then there was a "full" size bed in back.

But then your challange will be providing enough storage for everyone and your camping gear, so that's where trailer hitch cargo boxes come in handy.

Somehow, we fit five people in the Pleasureway with all their gear on a trip to see the eclipse and a music festival, but only two slept in that rig.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote