Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2022, 04:29 PM   #41
Platinum Member

I like the look. As mentioned, using a vinyl wrap would give the same look with the option of removing if you didn't like it. A professionally done wrap looks very good. A downside is that the wrap can deteriorate with time, and removal gets more difficult with time also.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:02 PM   #42
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Mies has a similar sliding window in my lower bunk bed with the surround paint. The sliding window was put in because the sliding door when open slides over it precluding putting a projecting awning window like installed on the sliding door. The other side rear panel is painted black but has no window because storage and bathroom is all there is. The upfront driver's side galley does have a full coverage awning window matching the sliding door. The surround black paint was just for looks too. Rear doors are the standard windows though the driver side rear window covers only storage. The passenger side rear window you can look out from both beds.

On the roof since this photo shows it, is ARV's standard fixed skylight over the bathroom and a marine hatch skylight over the upper bunk bed. There is a Maxfan, a directional TV antenna and the Houghton air conditioner over the kitchen galley, not the beds. As you can see, no solar.
I do think the solid black panel definitely looks better.

Looks like it would be a bit tough to fit a solar panel up there!
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #43
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I like the look. As mentioned, using a vinyl wrap would give the same look with the option of removing if you didn't like it. A professionally done wrap looks very good. A downside is that the wrap can deteriorate with time, and removal gets more difficult with time also.
I had thought about a wrap of that area, but I had a previous bad experience with some supposed high quality decals on a previous RV. One of the decal segments (blue) started to peel on the edges, so I tried to remove that particular segment - took me forever to get all of it off, and left a noticeable discoloration on the oem paint. I don't know how this would compare to the more modern wraps, as I never researched them, but I assume as you said, it would also be more difficult to remove over time.

Instead, I went down to the pro auto paint store that I have used in the past, & picked up the best 2 component urethane black they had, to supply to the painter. In fact, the store manager mixed up a couple different blacks to give it a really deep black finish. And until you get really close, it does look like glass. I also had the paint guy add a 2 part urethane clear top coat over the black.
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:07 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip53 View Post
I had thought about a wrap of that area, but I had a previous bad experience with some supposed high quality decals on a previous RV. One of the decal segments (blue) started to peel on the edges, so I tried to remove that particular segment - took me forever to get all of it off, and left a noticeable discoloration on the oem paint. I don't know how this would compare to the more modern wraps, as I never researched them, but I assume as you said, it would also be more difficult to remove over time.

Instead, I went down to the pro auto paint store that I have used in the past, & picked up the best 2 component urethane black they had, to supply to the painter. In fact, the store manager mixed up a couple different blacks to give it a really deep black finish. And until you get really close, it does look like glass. I also had the paint guy add a 2 part urethane clear top coat over the black.
In keeping with your high quality build you got a high quality paint job. Very nice.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote