Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Who likes my initial plans for bicycle rack

Who likes my initial plans for bicycle rack.
I picked up a aluminum ladder the other day, plan to secure a cargo bin an bicycle rack.
the ladder is pretty strong I'm 210LBs an it supported me testing shock absorbers.

Plan to rivet ladder to door then revit some curved aluminum cut tubing (Purple) to spare tire carrier (yellow surport) & ladder
Just ontop of the cargo box green.
Bikes tires will sit on curves.then tie down upper bike w/ rope around ladder.
plan includes relocating the license plate holder w/ light to the cargo box. unless we stop signing over ownership to are vehicles to the State (yes the State owns your vehicle), then I won't need a tag.

What do you Guys think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new ladder bike rack.jpg (414.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-13-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Use caution in hanging anything on the doors. The additional load can cause door sag.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here is a discussion from a while ago that shows how one very well done cargo box and bike rack was done.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...-van-3382.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Use caution in hanging anything on the doors. The additional load can cause door sag.
OK thanks for heads up on the door sag kindof sounds like the express’s rear shocks.

Here’s my initial #s just guesstimates
Ladder 2LB
Home made bike rack 2LBs
Cargo box yet to be determined probably less than 5LBs
Bicycle I think 22LBs
Deck chairs strapped to inside of ladder less than a LB.

Basically fabbing w/ aluminum so it’s light but strong & no rust stain
associated w/ steel.

What do you think of my bike rack design?thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Here is a discussion from a while ago that shows how one very well done cargo box and bike rack was done.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...-van-3382.html
breifly looked at these threads but remember my van is a tow vehicle so the trailor hitch is used for tailor.
curious if anyone else tows?
Booster do you have links to your manuel battery isolator mounted inside the coach. thanks
Old 01-14-2023, 05:21 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I can think of a lot of ideas that would offer a solution to your needs. Yet, it would depend on having the facility needed to fabricate it. Consider the wall mounting bracket for a large screen TV now.

My best idea would be an adapter that the bicycle would fit onto and lock. Then the back side of the adapter would be made to utilize the ladder for it's mount where it would also lock. In this way the adapter would first release from the ladder to bring the bike to the ground. Then the adapter removed from the bike. This would be the principle of the design.

Once the adapter is removed from the bike it would be restored to the ladder and locked once again. Thus a storage place for the adapter when access to the roof isn't necessary.

The adapter would have to be "deep" enough to offset the bike to where it would clear the spare tire when this system is mounted.
Dee Jsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

No comment on the bike rake,I just don't know enough to comment, BUT, I am currious about what you did to the air conditioner space/air conditioner?
Thanks
M
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:37 PM   #7
otr
Gold Member

We have a 2000 RT 190V, it has the continental spare tire rack, the back door sages terribly, our thought is to get rid of the generator which we do not use and move the spare tire back under the van.

Our bike rack is a swing away on the trailer hitch, if you tow you can buy an adapter to add a second item to the hitch receiver, there are a number of options available to do this, here is one example:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...hitch?a=794067

I recently saw a hitch with with three receivers, the usual center one, plus one on each side, I have been thinking about doing something like this and putting a tilting spare tire holder to the side of the bike rack.
otr is offline   Reply With Quote