Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Default 1996 Roadtrek Popular Chevy Chassis-propane

Having borrowed several Roadtreks over the years I broke down and bought one: 1996 190 P on a Chevy Chassis. My question is probably an incredibly dumb one but it has me stumped... how does one unlatch the door to the propane tank/dump ports located under the driver-side door. It appears to have a latch on the right side and I cannot find a release for it anywhere. All of the other bin doors open fine with their keys. Thanks. David
ndavidking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi, I have a 97 Roadtrek built on the dodge platform, but my build looks very similar to yours, on the propane cover door, there are no key locks or latches, there is only a heavy hinge on the right side, the door stays down by gravity weight, if yours doesn't just lift up, then maybe your hinge is sticking, just try and gently lift the door and try to unstick the hinge,,,dont break the door, there a pain to replace,,,,,,hope tis helps,,,, take care,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Hey,. thanks, I really appreciate it. Boy the "Catch" on that right side seems so solid (the left starts to lift easily) I'll WD40 the hinge and wash it out (ir feels like some caked on mud is there too) and see if that works. Yep, I'm very worried about breaking the fiberglass door...

BY the way, would you also know how to remove the video tape machine? Mine seems like it is held in place by some latches but as with the door, I cannot seem to unlatch them...

Thanks for your help!!!

David
Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Sorry,.I can’t help you on the video machine, we bought ours used and the machine was already removed,,,,take care,,,k,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #5

Default THanks again

Well, that was a long shot. I was hoping perhaps the part where the machine was hooked might still be there and give a clue how it all worked.

Re the door to the propane, I soaked the hinge down with WD40. It still feels very solidly locked on the right side, more mechanical than simply stuck, but I'll keep after it. thanks again.

David
Old 10-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Try taking pics with your cell phone to see what is actually holding it closed. I assume you can see the latching or hinging setup from underneath the van side?
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

Default Opening Propane Access Door

A number of people wrote on this and other forums to tell me there is no latch and the door stays closed by gravity. Hmmmm. Perhaps I have a mutant... but on mine, if you run your hand under the right side, back a few inches, is a lever. Pushed back and up the door unlatches and lifts easily.

I took it into a local Midas and asked them to put in on the lift wo I could see it and there, right in front of me, was the latch lever.... Perhaps mine is the only one in the world with the latch but just to add to the "knowledge base" there is at least one 1995 190 Popular/Chevy that has that latch.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

I have a 1996 190P and there is no locking mechanism on the door.... it open freely
minis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

Default Propane Door latch

This is so completely weird... I really do seem to have the only 190P that has that latch lever for the propane/dump door under the driver's door. It makes me wonder what keeps the latchless doors from flopping on uneven roads??? I also have the 454 cid engine and that seems to also be less common than the 350 cid versions, but I cannot see why there would be any connection between engine size and a door latch... Bottom line, I'm just glad I found the latch before, in frustration, while still assuming there was none, I got a pry bar and managed to really destroy that door altogether; I'm guessing it would be devilishly hard to replace.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #10

Found it... there are two screws that are driven in from underneath that hold it in place.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Propane doors, by law, are not allowed to lock. This is in case of an emergency, they need to have access to the shut off valve
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #12

Default Propane door latch

There is no lock per se on mine, but there is a latch. It is very light to the touch and easy to use (once you know where it is) so I doubt it would violate any legal issues. But it is most certainly there and without releasing it that door will not open. I looked at it closely and it does not appear to be someone's "hack" top keep the door from flopping but something that is part of the whole initial set up. I would have preferred one that worked like the keyed locks on the other bins but without the key, simply a knob of some sort. At least my simple brain could have seen and figured that out. Now I'm curious as to whether service folks at propane stations know about it or if I'll need to tell them or open the door for them.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #13

I know this is a dead thread but, when I bought my 95 the seller showed me how the support hinge that holds the door open was going past center and had to be pushed from underneath for the door to open. I wasn't worried about it until the subject of fire came up on this thread. I may look into replacing it.
ratfink56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
190, popular, propane access, roadtrek