Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It is actually very basic, I think. On models that have the charger on the load side of relay, there is not a battery in it's visible circuit. If it is a charger that checks for a battery, like most smart chargers and some other non smart chargers, the charger will fault out.
That makes a lot of sense. I guess the charger on my 2000 Roadtrak was dumber than dumb, because it clearly didn't care if it was connected to the battery when it powered up.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
That makes a lot of sense. I guess the charger on my 2000 Roadtrak was dumber than dumb, because it clearly didn't care if it was connected to the battery when it powered up.

It would be a "dumb" charger, but some of them were actual power supply style, so totally OK with no battery in the system. Power supplies are used to run stuff directly without batteries and have their own internal voltage control, so perfect for any system that needs to disconnect the batteries at times or doesn't need batteries at all. They are fixed voltage, though, so not great at charging batteries.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:20 AM   #23
Platinum Member

I haven't started tearing out all of the battery wiring yet but for some reason I decided to install the new contactors today.

Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote