Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2009 RT RS black tank dribble

2009 Roadtrek RS Adventurous (Sprinter) black tank at the 4" drain pipe, at the tank-pipe connection slow leak. Is this connection a slip fit into the tank or is it a glue fitting? Any suggestions on how to repair would be greatly appreciated.

If it is a glue connection then what kind of plastic is the black tank made of? What type of glues would bond to both the ABS waste pipe and the tank? Maybe something semi flexible?

If a slip connection, then is there an O-ring? Where would I get a ring that size?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210712_132553433.jpg (183.8 KB, 37 views)
TaxWonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Since the tank only has to be sealed against gravity and not pressure, I would thing you could just clean it well and use one of the following: Goop, Gasket Sealer, JB Weld, Flex Seal, or any number of products.

Just before I purchased my van it was obvious someone replaced the gray dump valve. It was also apparent from the drip, drip, that they did not get gasket to seal properly. Since the valve was new and working perfectly, I bought a can of Flex Seal spray. After cleaning the area, I applied a light coat a few times a day over several days. No more leak.

Let us know what fix you finally come up with.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:59 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks rowiebowie I was considering those sealants as a backup option. I have been watching the Project Farm videos on various sealants.https://youtu.be/PNDnV4qxK_U I do not want to glue the tank to the waste pipe unless that is the way it came from the factory. Flex seal would be easy enough to cut through if an additional repair is needed.
TaxWonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I would think any external leak sealant should be removable without too much problem. I'm a huge fan of Goop. It's never failed me and in the rare case I've needed to remove it later, it remains flexible and releases when stretched like those 3M Command strips.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:36 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I thought about pulling the black tank and it looks like you would have to pull the gray tank, macerator and valves. I also found a original black tank for sale and noted that the pipe that is leaking comes mounted on the tank. So I gave in. Cleaned the area as well as I could and used Rust-Oleum leak seal. So far it looks like it is holding. It has been about 2 weeks. I will post back if it starts to leak again.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing the solution, and I'll bet it Is. That you're go to go, and can go anywhere now.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Following up, it has been 4 months and it is beginning to weep. We are going to use leak stop one more time, since we have some left, but I am not hopeful.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Just a follow up. The second application held until now. So just short of 2 years. Trying once more but considering using a soldering iron to hot weld the joint. I can get to the bottom half of the joint easily.

Tags
black, leak, roadtrek, sprinter, waste