Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

Default 2015 Roadtrek Popular Rear Camera

I’m posting this for friend. She just bought a 2015 Popular 190. When she puts it in reverse, the camera display is blank. Is there a button that needs to be pushed to get it to operate? She did notice some condensation in the camera when looking at it. Who services the camera, Roadtrek or Chevy! Thanks!
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Same here, 2014 Chevy Popular 190. What I eventually found out is Roadtrek replaced the factory high mount brake light with a cheap aftermarket unit with a camera. It was poorly made, not properly weather sealed, and completely corroded inside. Neither the camera nor the brake lights worked when I acquired my 4-year-old unit. I searched online ("Chevy Express center brake light with camera") and found an identical replacement (no, thanks!) and some other possibilities. It was really hard to tell looking at pictures whether they were any better sealed than the junk supplied by Roadtrek.

In the end I got a plain old factory high mount brake light from Chevy (well sealed).

The video line is still there if I ever change my mind. Personally I'm not a fan of rear view cameras. They make one more thing to look at and mentally integrate, and we often have a trailer attached anyway. The side mirrors are excellent (love the lower wide angle section so you can see the tires and any curbs). I can back the trailer and have even parallel parked the van without the camera.

Maybe someone else will be along with a specific high quality replacement recommendation.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you can put any camera you want into that brake light assembly. Skip to 50 seconds in this video.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I think you can put any camera you want into that brake light assembly...
That's a good point, although my experience is the real problem is the poor quality of the housing itself. If water can get in you will continue to have problems. Maybe with a little creativity and a lot of silicone you can find a way to keep it dry.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
Platinum Member

this is what I use- the price is often closer to $45

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted it center on my 3rd brake light ( chev, pleasure way)

easy to run power wire along weather stripping to taillight housing to connect power

video is wireless
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your responses. My guess is that it is corroded. She’s bringing the RV over to my house on Sunday. I’ll remove the fixture to see how it looks. I did watch the eTrailer video on the link. It’s too bad the manufacturers don’t do a better job with sealing. I have the same issue with the taillight covers on my RV. I really don’t want to mess them up with putting silicone all around them but what else can you do?!
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #7

How did you mount your backup camera on the 3rd Brake light? Do you have a photo?
pbellist is offline   Reply With Quote