Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2018 Coachmen Galleria with Li3

FitRV posted December 30, 2017

Old 12-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is a good review.

Coachman made a good RV

Well... the good thing about this review is... James FitRV is a techie, and he is a hardcore RV user. His review is from a techie user perspective.

The bad things about his reviews are... James FitRV is a techie, and he is a hardcore RV user. His reviews unravel a lot of hidden areas that can be improved.

Most of the reviewers would open and close the drawers.
James would open and close the drawers, AND climb under the chassis.

LOL

It is an entertaining review.
And I am saying it in a good way.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Silver Member

I'm impressed with the cabinets, fit and finish inside this rig. Looks like these companies eventually start "borrowing" ideas from one another. I see influences from Pleasure-Way, RT, etc.. Looks like underhood second alternators are creeping up throughout the industry. Not a bad thing in my book. Thanks for sharing.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm hopeful that this Xantrex package is well thought out and put together. From the brochure, it looks like it is a package engineered by Xantrex and is similar to what James has been working on in his van.

I can also vouch for the Lithionics batteries. My 600AH unit is working very well in the simple system I installed.

Also from the brochure, it implies that the Firefly system is a Silverleaf product, or integrates with a Silverleaf controller, can't tell.

I'll be watching user reports on this one closely. I suspect they will have much better results than Roadtrek/Hymer has had on their kludge of a system.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

OK, something I'm not clear about here with the Class B, 2018-2019 Coachmen Galleria 24FL with Li3. Now it's clear there is NO GENERATOR. [B]But my question is you have stopped for the night and you need to dry camp. Then back on the road, or maybe you stay for a few days longer. It is HOT and very humid outside, so A/C is a MUST. What do you do with NO generator to run the Air Conditioner, all night long? As you have stopped driving for the day and parked at 8: PM and now parked for the night. SUN down at 8:15 PM and you want to hit the road at 7: AM SUN UP at 7:30 AM.

I am new to this Li3 system and like what I have been reading and learning. Can someone help me to understand what do-you-do, if you have "NO GENERATOR" to keep the A/C running through the night?
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
OK, something I'm not clear about here with the Class B, 2018-2019 Coachmen Galleria 24FL with Li3. Now it's clear there is NO GENERATOR. [B]But my question is you have stopped for the night and you need to dry camp. Then back on the road, or maybe you stay for a few days longer. It is HOT and very humid outside, so A/C is a MUST. What do you do with NO generator to run the Air Conditioner, all night long? As you have stopped driving for the day and parked at 8: PM and now parked for the night. SUN down at 8:15 PM and you want to hit the road at 7: AM SUN UP at 7:30 AM.

I am new to this Li3 system and like what I have been reading and learning. Can someone help me to understand what do-you-do, if you have "NO GENERATOR" to keep the A/C running through the night?
What is replacing stand alone generators like the Onan is a second high power alternator that feeds 12 volts to an inverter that provides 120VAC to the coach receptacles and appliances like the Microwave and the roof AC. So essentially it's a generator system powered by the coach engine. Some designs like the Roadrek Etrek, ARV and the Winnebago Travato Pure 3 incorporate an autostart feature that will automatically start the engine and provide 120VAC and battery recharging. Coachmen decided not to incorporate autostart on their Galleria Li3 and if and when battery recharge is necessary you would presumably start the engine manually, but that of course means getting up in the middle of the night.

All the class B upfitters tout an 8 hour AC run time for their system which IMO is a gross overstatement. Ambient temperature is a big factor. Day or night AC is also involved. During the day, there is the addition of UV generated heat the amount of which depends on the coach exterior color. Dark colors which are increasingly popular have the tradeoff of inviting more heat infusion. Nighttime relieves you of UV issues and ambient temperatures also typically drop somewhat.

The Galleria has 600 ah of lithium and is normally programmed to deliver suds up to a 90% discharge level. Depending on local conditions and assuming you don't require meat locker temperatures to sleep comfortably, the AC will operate with a duty cycle in the whereabouts of 60-70%, and assuming the battery is fully charged when you start, the AC could run for 5-6 hours before it shuts down. These are guestimates, and IMO there is no way you can get a full 8 hours of 13.5-15k AC uninterrupted operation with any of the available lithium systems (except the Roadtrek Warp Core 1600ah setup) without an engine startup during that period.

Providing sufficient battery run time without engine start is obviously necessary. But choosing an AC unit with better than average efficiency would also help. The AC units provided by domestic upfitters are not particularly efficient. However, Advanced Research Vehicles (ARV) has done some recent testing to find the quietest and most efficient AC unit in production and they are offering this as an after market upgrade which I think is mnufactured in Australia. . Scrapping the upfitter unit and replacing it with a better AC is certainly not inexpensive but if you need the best possible AC operation for the places you intend to travel, it could be worth the investment.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #7

Default Generator

Also.... the Xantrex system adds an under-hood voltage regulator that actually pairs both the OEM alternator and the ‘Gen’ high output alternator for reduced Li battery charging times...

I believe there is some question about MB warranty coverage when the ‘auto start’ feature is incorporated... Coachmen doesn’t use it for that reason, I was told by a rep... Perhaps that ‘question’ has been resolved by some of the upfitters, RV Mfg’s...

Along with compressor refrigerators, I believe the Li3 type systems are a wave of many future RV optional models...
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'd agree that more needs to be put into more efficient air conditioners. On the 500 ah setup I did in my Xplorer, 8-9 hours running the 8000 BTU air conditioner was no problem. It could make that rig an ice box and still have a 50% cycle time.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #9

Agreed lithium ion is the future in RVs and boats. I think the Galleria Li3 comes with a 13,000 BTW Dometic A/C. Dometic is a good brand but the runtime will vary depending on external temperature and other parasitic loads. Its fascinating that a battery through an inverter can run an air conditioner. Coachmen is definitely on the right track.
mitul1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Gold Member

In my Sportsmobile I am running a not-very-efficient 8000btu portable room a/c for ~3 hours with 3, 120ah deep cycle batteries ($82 each at Walmart). I am adding 2 more batteries, and figure I will get about ~5 hours of fridge and a/c runtime at night, and maybe ~6 hours during the day. I’m using a 3000W Inverter that I found on Amazon for a shocking $75(!!). The system works great. The total for my 3, 100W flexsble solar panels, the inverter, and all 5 batteries comes to obout $975. In my book, that’s totally worth it. Although, my current controller will only allow 11A max in from the panels (and will only allow a draw if 18A even though it is advertised as 30A), so that needs to get replaced.
I do love all these new systems coming up though. I’m going to wait it out and see what the next year or two brings... At the moment, the Carado (Hymer) Axion with the lithium 400 system- now available with VoltStart & UHG (when activated will start the coach engine 5 times without needing you there to oversee it) to run the house a/c and charge the battery pack is the best bang for the buck. However, Hymer is notorious for crappy quality, crappy interior materials, and horrible fit/finish (which is also starting to show up in the RoadTrek units, (which Hymer recently purchased).
So, in a few years everyone should be offering really good battery/inverter/UHG setups. Time will tell. But right now, Winnebago has the best offering, Hymer has the cheapest.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

"In my Sportsmobile I am running a not-very-efficient 8000btu portable room a/c for ~3 hours with 3, 120ah deep cycle batteries ($82 each at Walmart)."

Are these marine batteries?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
In my Sportsmobile I am running a not-very-efficient 8000btu portable room a/c for ~3 hours with 3, 120ah deep cycle batteries ($82 each at Walmart). I am adding 2 more batteries, and figure I will get about ~5 hours of fridge and a/c runtime at night, and maybe ~6 hours during the day. I’m using a 3000W Inverter that I found on Amazon for a shocking $75(!!). The system works great. The total for my 3, 100W flexsble solar panels, the inverter, and all 5 batteries comes to obout $975. In my book, that’s totally worth it. Although, my current controller will only allow 11A max in from the panels (and will only allow a draw if 18A even though it is advertised as 30A), so that needs to get replaced.
I do love all these new systems coming up though. I’m going to wait it out and see what the next year or two brings... At the moment, the Carado (Hymer) Axion with the lithium 400 system- now available with VoltStart & UHG (when activated will start the coach engine 5 times without needing you there to oversee it) to run the house a/c and charge the battery pack is the best bang for the buck. However, Hymer is notorious for crappy quality, crappy interior materials, and horrible fit/finish (which is also starting to show up in the RoadTrek units, (which Hymer recently purchased).
So, in a few years everyone should be offering really good battery/inverter/UHG setups. Time will tell. But right now, Winnebago has the best offering, Hymer has the cheapest.

How are you recharging 360ah, soon to be 600ah of batteries, if you have to do it often because of AC running? At $83 those would have to be wet cells which have a very long charge time to get from 70% to totally full, so yo would need some big charging amperage early on to get to 70% while still having time for the charging to finish.

600ah of wet cells is something like 450#. Where do you have them mounted.

I wasn't able to find any Walmart batteries on their site at 120ah, do you have a model number so we can see the specs?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #13

120 Amp Hr would probably be a Group - 31 deep cycle type... They are 13 inches long & weigh about 69 lbs... Some mfg’s call them Gp-29 or Gp-30, but they are all the same ‘case’ size of 13” long...
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
120 Amp Hr would probably be a Group - 31 deep cycle type... They are 13 inches long & weigh about 69 lbs... Some mfg’s call them Gp-29 or Gp-30, but they are all the same ‘case’ size of 13” long...

That is what I figured, also, but the current website doesn't even list amp hours or weight on them anymore. I did find some older literature that listed a 29DC at 125ah but did not give the weight, which can be important in figuring out is they cheated the AH rating by using the 100 hour or other rating higher than the normal 20 hour rating. I know Costco has done that in the past as the "110ah" 12v marine battery we got for starting battery in our Roadtrek is that way. Once I got a hold of a tech and the manufacturer, he said it was 85ah at 20 hour rating.

Nearly all of the 12 "deep cycle" batteries and now combination batteries with low water use chemistry, as our Costco is, so big AH capacity per size is not really very likely. Crown and Trojan do still make 12v in true deep cycle though.

I think that it is fairly likely that the 120ah from Walmart would be in the 95ah range at 20 hours, but it would be nice to be able to find out, as it is pretty deceptive if it is.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Nearly all of the 12 "deep cycle" batteries and now combination batteries with low water use chemistry, as our Costco is, so big AH capacity per size is not really very likely. Crown and Trojan do still make 12v in true deep cycle though.`

I think that it is fairly likely that the 120ah from Walmart would be in the 95ah range at 20 hours, but it would be nice to be able to find out, as it is pretty deceptive if it is.
Group 27 and 31 are so similar in dimensions that for most trays, either one can replace the other. With respect to ah capacity, the outlier is built by Concord. Their Group 31 has a 100 ah rating which is par for the course but they also offer this battery as a 31XT with a rating of 125 ah. How they manage to boost this capacity by 25% in a case that's equivalent in dimensions to the standard 31 eludes me.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"In my Sportsmobile I am running a not-very-efficient 8000btu portable room a/c for ~3 hours with 3, 120ah deep cycle batteries ($82 each at Walmart)."

Are these marine batteries?

Bud
I believe so, but I’ll take a picture of one and post it. And also, they are 122ah, not 120, my bad. Not that it makes a difference, just being precise and stating the correction.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote