Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

Default 2018 Roadtrek Adventurous CS Questions

Hey folks I am new to RVing and and own (second owner-so no warranty for me!) a 2018 Roadtrek Adventurous CS Litium (2 batteries) /Solar Set up: NO propane. I find the manuals and the how to's lacking in information and the Roadtrek Factory less than helpful.(they keep refering me to dealers and dealers wont admit to being dealers etc). So here are my questions.

1. Fold down couch/bed; who made this? I need part due to bolt sheared (hardly motored it up or down).

2. Manual says two inverters; kitchen inverter supposedly separate with wall switch to control. I turn on main inverter and Microwave powered. Roadtrek says check switch on inverter (even sent me info on inverter). BUT it doesn't match what inverter under sink that has no switches on it. Is it just the microwave plugged into wrong outlet?

3. Running AC off inverter and having autostart feature to charge battery to keep it (AC) going. Roadtrek says you can do this but Dometic says NO. Yes the AC went and I had to replace at my own expense. Less than two years in service but I wasnt original owner so $$$ out of my pocket. So with a two battery system can I run it without burning it out?

4. Auto start feature to charge up batteries; manual not clear on switchology up front on dash. Round rocker button on left (green light when on) and the other rectangular rocker switches to the right of the round switch; all have to be on? i know one is a idle speed switch etc.

5. Berghoff Induction single burner; got error code 5. Berghoff says cant be fixed but cant get another? Anybody have a source since I dont want to cut or redo countertop to fit another.

6. I had the original two belt system to run the second alternator; and yes it ate the belt at 5000 miles since new. A week after i got the RV . So I went to the company that designed the two belt system and had them install a 3 belt system ($2000) to not have that happen again. 4 Months and 5000 miles later It destroyed the new alternator pulley (pulley came off and internal spring tangled up in belt). Got new pulley under warranty but had to pay for install (could have done it myself) but didnt want to buy tools to do it. Warranty was for two years. Is this a normal ongoing issue where I cant go very long between critical breakdowns?

7. Does Roadtrek make their own tables for this RV; anybody have a source who makes them? I need rear table; been trying to get one thru dealers/roadtrek with no sucess. I have a pole and even the attachment piece that would go on table for the pole to go into if I could get the specs to make one.

Any info would be helpful!
Dave 757 286 2693
dself@icloud.com
dself@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Gold Member

It is possible that electronic components come from the factory plugged into the wrong breaker outlet. Several were in my unit.

This is the recognized "Mother Lode" for replacement parts for Roadtrek.

https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/roadtrek/

Unfortunately dealer support of anything they are not selling new at high volume is very sketchy.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:49 PM   #3

Wow, I'm a first timer and just began shopping for a Roadtrek Adventurous. Should I reconsider a different manufacturer? I do not have any knowledge to fix or diagnose these type of problems and now fear the rv always being in the shop.
Rvdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi Rvdreamin,

"Wow, I'm a first timer and just began shopping for a Roadtrek Adventurous. Should I reconsider a different manufacturer?"

imho, YES.

"I do not have any knowledge to fix or diagnose these type of problems and now fear the rv always being in the shop."

That would be YES Squared.

Being serious for a moment. It can and probably will be expensive not being able to diagnose or fix anything with an rv. A Roadtrek Etrek in that regard is worse than average I would think.

There will be multiple ideas here, good ones I'll bet.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi Rvdreamin,

A Roadtrek Etrek in that regard is worse than average I would think.

Bud
A Roadtrek E-Trek is different and needs to be understood and used appropriately. If this is done I would question that it is worse than average.

Six years ago I purchased one as a first time RV owner totally clueless regarding the upkeep. Since then I have learned quite a bit and am still a happy owner of the E-Trek.

The reasons that the E-Trek works for me is that the floorplan is a nice combination of people hauler / travel van / occasional live in camper, I never wanted to mess with propane tanks and related furnace maintenance, and I never wanted to mess with a generator and related maintenance. In exchange I have had to understand and live within the limitations of an AGM battery bank and auxiliary alternator. Search furnace issues and generator issues and I suspect one gets a long list. I am happy to not be a member of any of those lists.

The two biggest issues with the E-Trek is that the builder grossly oversold the battery capabilities and was secretive about the issues and that Mercedes had significant exhaust system issues when their new DEF exhaust system came out.

A new RV buyer needs to understand that every RV is a tiny house on wheels. You will have all of the annual maintenance issues of servicing a set of wheels, with the complication that not all service locations are equipped to service an RV build, and all of the annual maintenance issues of servicing a house, with the complication that there are fewer building codes which RV manufacturers need to follow and so builds are more shoddy and you can't call a 24 hour emergency plumber / electrician / etc.

In addition; you are the municipal electric, water, gas and sewer company for your RV and need to provide these services responsibly.

Understanding and taking care of the E-Trek battery system is a nit compared to these other issues if your use falls within the constraints.

Probably the most trouble free ownership is a unit which is new, under warranty, and sold in enough volume that dealers are familiar with servicing it. If you have something other than these you either have to pay someone to do the work or learn to do some of it yourself.

If you have a low volume or older unit and take it to a service location they likely won't be familiar with the unique blend of parts used for your build.

These issues are the dark side of the shiny coin a dealer will show you. Unfortunately the dark side of the coin is something one needs to find out for oneself. Everyone likes to talk about artificial intelligence but nobody talks much about artificial stupidity.