Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
booster, if I'm recalling correctly the present Beyond's one agm is 260 amps. I recently heard the pro-air ac running on that battery! 200 watts of solar is available. The rb floorplan has a smaller refer.

I was going by the earlier review for the Crossfit that said large frig and 105ah coach batteries. I looked up Crossfit and it said 6cf frig, but I could be wrong on which units some of the posts are referring to. However it is, there seem to be lots of complaints about battery life, so it would be good to get some use details and actual battery capacities to see if it is underpowered as it seems to be.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
If you drive every day (like us) the compressor fridge isn't much of a problem. That being said, I upgraded from 75ah x 2 lead acid batteries to 100Ah x 2 lithiums so that we can last more than one night. Cold is not a problem where I live and I've relocated the batteries inside. But for boondocking with a compressor fridge, battery capacity is a problem without a source of recharge, so I can understand those who still prefer the absorption fridge.

Now that I've finally gotten my Onan generator running dependably and given the fast charge rate that lithium batteries can accept, I can recharge on 1-2 hours of generator per day given my 75AH charging ability. And I'd only need to do that every 2nd or 3rd day if we are conservative on use. But then, I've worked hard to stop parasitic drains and run everything on 12 volts so the only time the inverter is on is when using the microwave.
Thank you to all who have posted a response and the links.
The battery topic is difficult to understand so I have a few basic questions.
1. What type of battery/size did the coach come with? No documentation on the battery was provided.
2. The solar says is works with Gel, AGM, WET (conventional lead acid) and calcium. Which one do I choose? Maybe I do not have the solar connected to the correct battery type.
3. How expensive is a lithium battery? Does it require more than just swapping it out?
Kswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I was going by the earlier review for the Crossfit that said large frig and 105ah coach batteries. I looked up Crossfit and it said 6cf frig, but I could be wrong on which units some of the posts are referring to. However it is, there seem to be lots of complaints about battery life, so it would be good to get some use details and actual battery capacities to see if it is underpowered as it seems to be.
Bud,
Crossfit/Beyond has several different models. Some models have the larger frig. The 2019/2020 models labeled 22C and 22D have a 6 cubic foot Nova Kool refrigerator with a bottom freezer. The newest model (Beyond) with the bathroom in the back has a smaller refrigerator.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Trying to do something useful with the space behind the drivers seat. On the Coachmen Crossfit/Beyond, Coachmen leaves about 12" space behind the drivers seat. This means that you can slide the drivers seat all the way back and still recline a bunch or else use the space for stuff.

To help keep the space from being a random pile of stuff - or more accurately- to help keep the random pile of stuff hidden, I built a small cabinet using riveted aluminium, 1/8" plywood covered with fuzzy grey speaker box fabric. It's strong enough to hold misc. stuff, but not strong enough to stand on. I'm using neoprene to cushion and pad against the coach walls and floor. I put lined plywood half-walls inside to stiffen the structure and to deaden noise if stuff bangs around in there.

The box is 12" wide x 14" tall x 20" deep. The height is so that water jugs and cleaning supplies fit inside, but low enough so the drivers seat still reclines somewhat.

To provide access to the random pile of stuff inside, I put a hinged doors on the top and front. The front door is held with a magnetic push-to-open latch.

I tried to make it blend in a bit, but probably could have done a better job fitting against the bathroom wall and perhaps shopped around for a slightly darker fabric.

I'm thinking that the space on top of the box will be used for a random pile of backpacks and duffel bags.
I think your use of extra space behind the driver's seat looks quite nice. Since there is limited storage space, this space is valuable. We have taken this space and done the following:
1.Added a small wooden 2 tier shoe rack/bench purchased from Home Depot. Allows for each person to store 2 to 3 pairs of shoes.
2. Put on top of the 2 tier shoe rack a fabric laundry bin with top purchased at Bed bath and Beyond. The bin can be used for dirty laundry, backpacks, fishing and hiking gear, etc. It keeps everything together, is light weight and keeps the space looking neat.
I anchor both of these to the driver seat using light weight bungee cords so they do not move around when driving. Since these 2 stack on top of each other, they fit exactly in the space. We still have about 3 to 5 inches that you can use to access the back pocket of the seat. I will try to send a picture.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswanson View Post
1. What type of battery/size did the coach come with? No documentation on the battery was provided. If your batteries are factory and unchanged, you should consult brochure specs or call the factory. But the only way to know for sure is to look on the batteries themselves.
2. The solar says is works with Gel, AGM, WET (conventional lead acid) and calcium. Which one do I choose? Maybe I do not have the solar connected to the correct battery type. Depends on what you find in #1, above.
3. How expensive is a lithium battery? Does it require more than just swapping it out? It is pricy and does include upgrading all charging components (solar controller, alternator DC to DC charger, and Inverter/Charger).

Lithium batteries are $800-950 each for 100 Amp hours. You'd want two lithium batteries minimum like I did. A solar controller $150, DC to DC charger $200, and 3000W Inverter/Charger for $800-1300. Another $100 for a batter State-of-Charge monitor and another $150 for various cables, connectors, and fuses.

I did mine on-the-cheap with Renogy products and my own labor. $3000 in total just to extend available battery power by 2x, run the microwave on an upgraded 3000 pure sine wave inverter charger, and to reduce the charging time for the lithium batteries. A similar top-of-the-line upgrade with Battleborn and Victron components would be about $1000 extra, again with your own labor. Add another $2 grand for two more batteries and a really nice 400Ah upgrade. Yes, the price adds up fast.
See in bold above.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
1. What type of battery/size did the coach come with? No documentation on the battery was provided.
2. The solar says is works with Gel, AGM, WET (conventional lead acid) and calcium. Which one do I choose? Maybe I do not have the solar connected to the correct battery type.
3. How expensive is a lithium battery? Does it require more than just swapping it out?
See: https://coachmenrv.com/brochures/202...rebenefits.pdf page 21

or https://coachmenrv.com/brochures/201...rebenefits.pdf .

If yours is a 2018 or early 2019 model (built in 2018) then this should be accurate: https://coachmenrv.com/brochures/201...rebenefits.pdf

If it's newer, it should have an 8D 330AH AGM battery under the passenger side rear up under the fender. The sewer hose storage should be under the drivers side rear behind the propane fill. If it's older, it will have the sewer hose hanging under the rear bumper and it will have two 105AH conventional lead acid batteries, one under each rear fender.

I spent a couple grand on my Lithium setup.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #67

Michael,
It appears our Crossfit is an early version. The battery is on the driver side. and the sewer hose is under the back of the van right side. We took delivery in the summer of 2018 but it is our understanding that this is a 2019 model built on a 2018 FORD engine. Odd that they would put wet cell batteries under the coach where you cannot add water if needed.
We have plans to get it to the dealer for a look. Thanks to you and others for your comments.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #68

The links to the manuals were very helpful. The last link is the RV we own. We were never given an owner's manual.
Kathy
Old 07-03-2020, 12:39 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
We have taken this space and done the following:
1.Added a small wooden 2 tier shoe rack/bench purchased from Home Depot. Allows for each person to store 2 to 3 pairs of shoes.
2. Put on top of the 2 tier shoe rack a fabric laundry bin with top purchased at Bed bath and Beyond. The bin can be used for dirty laundry, backpacks, fishing and hiking gear, etc.
That sounds like a good use of the space.

Quote:
Michael,
It appears our Crossfit is an early version. The battery is on the driver side. and the sewer hose is under the back of the van right side. We took delivery in the summer of 2018 but it is our understanding that this is a 2019 model built on a 2018 FORD engine. Odd that they would put wet cell batteries under the coach where you cannot add water if needed.
We have plans to get it to the dealer for a look. Thanks to you and others for your comments.
I replaced my OEM flooded lead acid batteries with AGM's and tipped them on the side so I could get at the terminals without lowering them down. After one year, the flooded batteries were low on water, but probably still serviceable.

Your solar controller should be set to 'wet'.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #70
Gold Member

We recently bought our 2019 Crossfit but have no idea if the springs have been fixed. How would we be able to tell? It seems to ride fine with no clunking in the rear.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
We recently bought our 2019 Crossfit but have no idea if the springs have been fixed. How would we be able to tell? It seems to ride fine with no clunking in the rear.
Here's the first SuperSpring Service Bulletin: https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...lerCentral.pdf

And the second, which supersedes the first and replaces the springs: https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...BDocuments.pdf

I have photos of how I measured in post 29.

Both Coachmen and SuperSpring were very helpful. With your VIN they can tell you if the service was done.

You may also need the Refrigerator vent service that I described here, an awning service: https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...in/2251018.pdf and

Forest River service bulletins are here: https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/ServiceBulletins/

--Mike
Old 08-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #72
Gold Member

Cool beans. Get this checklist taken care of and we can hit the road.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:18 AM   #73
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cool beans. Get this checklist taken care of and we can hit the road.

Welcome to the forum Doc!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #74
Gold Member

So we have some issues with our rear shades. More specifically the bottom night shades crumpling up. It’s not a cord/string problem. It’s a design flaw best I can tell. There are only two strings running through this wide shade nowhere near the edge of the shade. Not enough to support the fabric. Considered replacing but Coachmen says those are $311 each. Probably not doing that. Anyone have same issue and come up with a solution other than replacing with aftermarket?
Old 08-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #75

@Doc, i would trying joining the coachmen beyond group on facebook. they are pretty active and have tons of advice/ideas/solutions regarding the crossfit/beyond.
lizard_breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #76
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_breath View Post
@Doc, i would trying joining the coachmen beyond group on facebook. they are pretty active and have tons of advice/ideas/solutions regarding the crossfit/beyond.
Thanks for the info. I don’t do Facebook though. Deleted my account years ago.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
So we have some issues with our rear shades. More specifically the bottom night shades crumpling up. It’s not a cord/string problem. It’s a design flaw best I can tell. There are only two strings running through this wide shade nowhere near the edge of the shade. Not enough to support the fabric. Considered replacing but Coachmen says those are $311 each. Probably not doing that. Anyone have same issue and come up with a solution other than replacing with aftermarket?
Is the problem that they lower shade doesn't accordion up properly - that is bunches instead of accordions?

If so, what I've done is to carefully guide the pleats up into the frame with my hand. Once they are accordioned up properly they stay for a while.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #78
Gold Member

Quote:
Is the problem that they lower shade doesn't accordion up properly - that is bunches instead of accordions?

If so, what I've done is to carefully guide the pleats up into the frame with my hand. Once they are accordioned up properly they stay for a while.
Yup. I have the accordion problem. I fixed one side of one of the shades but didn’t have enough hands to do the other side. I’ll work on the other side now. To be continued....
Old 08-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #79
Gold Member

Quote:
Yup. I have the accordion problem. I fixed one side of one of the shades but didn’t have enough hands to do the other side. I’ll work on the other side now. To be continued....
Quote:

I’ve gotten them both folded properly. Wondering if spraying them with starch and then leaving them folded up for a while might make them hold their shape. I don’t think it could hurt.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
I’ve gotten them both folded properly. Wondering if spraying them with starch and then leaving them folded up for a while might make them hold their shape. I don’t think it could hurt.
Leaving them folded up tight for a while seems to help keep creases in place. I have no idea if starch would work. <?>

Tags
coachme, coachmen crossfit