Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
Anybody notice that Coachmen seems to have changed the name of the CrossFit to 'Beyond"? Seems to be mostly the same, except that glossy white cabinets are now available, and the 12V AC isn't currently listed. No mention of the name change.
Looks like it's been renamed.

I'm not a fan of either the really dark or painted white cabinets.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #22
Silver Member

I agree; the medium cabinets look the best to me.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Anybody notice that Coachmen seems to have changed the name of the CrossFit to 'Beyond"? Seems to be mostly the same, except that glossy white cabinets are now available, and the 12V AC isn't currently listed. No mention of the name change.
They were sued over the name Crossfit so they have changed the name. While they have had rolling upgrades over the past two years, the Crossfit and Beyond are the same vehicle. Any changes/upgrades you see will be based on the date of manufacture rather than because of the different name.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:46 AM   #24
Silver Member

Not crazy about Beyond as a name, but whatever.

Earlier this spring, at an RV show in Atlanta, I wound up talking with an executive from Coachmen who was very much in-the-know for nearly an hour. We discussed the Transit changes for 2020, including the probable inclusion of the 10 speed transmission, more safety features, standard SYNC, and the revised dash with a swivel driver's seat. I also made some suggestions, which he liked a lot, and took notes!

Last week, at the Atlanta Auto Show, there was a prototype 2020 Transit on display. Couldn't get in it, but from the outside I could see the new dash, with a large touchscreen where all the buttons were in the middle, and the lower part of the central stack jutted out much less. This vehicle actually had TWO seats on the passenger side, making it a three seat cargo van. Obviously, there will be space to swivel, and also walk from the seat through to the back much easier. there was a new grill, which didn't necessarily look better, just a bit different.

Now that Winnebago is increasing their warranty coverage for '20 to 3 years, hopefully Coachmen will do the same. Otherwise, they will be the only ones left with just a one year warranty.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now that Winnebago is increasing their warranty coverage for '20 to 3 years, hopefully Coachmen will do the same. Otherwise, they will be the only ones left with just a one year warranty.
There is another issue of concern. Generally, dealers for RVs have a contractual obligation to service the brands they sell. But the dealers for the Galleria and Crossfit/Beyond are totally independent and have no obligation to do warranty or post warranty service that can leave you with the only practical recourse of addressing problems with the factory. That said, however, anecdotal reports seem to indicate that the factory is responsive to customer problems.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:46 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Earlier this spring, at an RV show in Atlanta, I wound up talking with an executive from Coachmen who was very much in-the-know for nearly an hour. We discussed the Transit changes for 2020, including the probable inclusion of the 10 speed transmission, more safety features, standard SYNC, and the revised dash with a swivel driver's seat. I also made some suggestions, which he liked a lot, and took notes!
The availability of safety features similar to what is provided on Sprinters is long overdue. Did they indicate what engine they expected to use?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #27
Silver Member

The EcoBoost is definitely in. I think the 3.7 is out, but I wasn't paying that much attention, because I'm mostly interested in the EcoBoost. The new transmission will improve performabce, as well as economy.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #28

I checked my rear springs and they were about 3” too far back with contact showing on the right rear. I repositioned mine to 3” off the front hanger eye as specified and now have plenty of clearance all around and it drives great. No more clunking. I had to take my wheels off and loosen not only the pad clip but the shackles as well. I used a sledge to tap the spring forward. I tried a pry bar but there really isn’t anything to leverage against. Sledge worked just fine.
Thanks for posting the TB. That clunk was driving me nuts.
Crust E. Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crust E. Skidmark View Post
I tried a pry bar but there really isn’t anything to leverage against. Sledge worked just fine.
Thanks for posting the TB. That clunk was driving me nuts.
I got my misplaced spring moved back this morning. No more clunk. I've been trying to figure out where that clunk was - having my wife drive while I had my ear on the floor, crawling underneath and shaking propane tanks and generators, etc.

'Twas a bit of effort on the prybar to get enough leverage to move the spring. I ended up using a series steel and hardwood blocks between the truck shackle and SuperSpring shackle to keep the prybar positioned close enough to the SuperSpring for mechanical advantage, and of course a brass hammer for persuasion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transit-SuperSpring-Driver-Front-After.jpg (197.6 KB, 262 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Next project - verify that I am not a cabinet maker.

Verification complete.

Seems like Coachmen thinks that a wide open cargo door makes for a more appealing campervan. l like that wide entry, but I like places to cram stuff and countertop/workspace even more. So I attempted to fill some of the cargo door space with a shelf and folding counter. No cabinet doors yet - I'm not sure how to fabricate them yet.

Shelf is roughly 12x12, and extension is about 12x13. And because of the light switches, it's only 32" tall. My wife likes lower working surface anyway, so that height should be OK.

With the extension down, it's still easy to hop in and out. I had to stretch out the Truma heating duct, and still have to find a neat way to finish that off.

Coachmen should offer this as an option.

Now all I need to do is cram it full of crap and then try to figure out how to keep all that crap from rattling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_104606846_HDR.jpg (192.6 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_104735313.jpg (157.2 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190408_105519670_HDR.jpg (323.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Wow! Nice mod! What did you do with the fire extinguisher? I've considered moving the door grab-bar to the other side of the door so I can reach it better and then putting the fire extinguisher in the space formerly occupied by the grab-bar.

I've also considered using a hole saw to mover the Truma vent to the front of the cabinet.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Wow! Nice mod! What did you do with the fire extinguisher? I've considered moving the door grab-bar to the other side of the door so I can reach it better and then putting the fire extinguisher in the space formerly occupied by the grab-bar.

I've also considered using a hole saw to mover the Truma vent to the front of the cabinet.
The 12" for the cabinet and a couple more inches for the drop table is about the limit on width. Any more and I'd have to sqeeze a bit going in and out.

I'm not sure what to do with the fire extinguisher. Right now it's just laying there.

On mine (the '22C' layout) the Truma outlet can be moved to the front of the cabinet - there is plenty of room. It's a 2.5" hole.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #33

Default Stain

Cabinet looks great! What brand/color stain did you use?
Markrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrp View Post
Cabinet looks great! What brand/color stain did you use?
Thanks.

For the sides face and shelves I used pre-sized/sanded 1-by-whatever maple from the local big-box store, I edge glued it and hand sanded with 200 grit. Then sealed with Varathane pre-stain wood conditioner & stained with Varathane 'Provincial' gel stain. Needed to use gel to get better penetration, and the sealer was necessary to avoid the blotchiness that maple might have.

The colors don't quite match the factory maple. It's a bit more orange than the factory cabinets. I think it's close enough though.

The top is a 1-1/4" thick piece of edge-glued oak that I found in the discount bin at the big box. It's just oiled with mineral oil.

The hinges are from Amazon

This is my first attempt at something like a cabinet. I normally work in metal/aluminum. Learned a lot.

Now for some doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_193400812.jpg (56.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 AM   #35

Default Loved the extra cabinet/counter space

I loved your extra cabinet/counter space design. I had been trying to figure out how to add extra counter top space. Thanks for the pictures.
Kswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswanson View Post
I loved your extra cabinet/counter space design. I had been trying to figure out how to add extra counter top space. Thanks for the pictures.
Thx.

If you only need counter space and not cabinet space, the other option would be to put one of the Lagun tables somewhere. The Crossfit/Beyond has 1/2"-5/8" plywood in some of the cabinet walls - enough places that you might be able to find someplace to secure the holding bracket.

On mine, the cabinet wall by the side cargo door is heavy enough. The bathroom walls are much thinner.

One could also replace the pedestal tables with Lagun's and gain some flexibility.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Here's the details from Forest River:

https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...lerCentral.pdf

Pretty simple.

Don't have to clamp the springs or remove the shackles.
An update to the Forest River TSB - 225-0970 - It's now SuperSpring replacement.

https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...BDocuments.pdf

Seems as though SuperSpring has a shorter version of the SSA43 springs. The longer version interferes with the factory spring mounts and contacts the chassis even when installed per instructions and prior TSB.

This makes sense, as even with the springs properly positioned, I still hear some contact between the SuperSprings and the factory spring mounts.

--Mike
Old 05-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #38

I have not heard of the Lagun tables and looked it up after your post. Sounds like I can install one on the left side of the stove/sink by the side door. Then I use the existing table top and attach this to the Lagun pole/mount?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswanson View Post
I have not heard of the Lagun tables and looked it up after your post. Sounds like I can install one on the left side of the stove/sink by the side door. Then I use the existing table top and attach this to the Lagun pole/mount?
I think that would work.

If yours is like mine, you have two small table tops - one with the socket for the pedestal, one without. The one without could possibly be used as a counter extension by the cargo door via a Lagun, leaving the table top that has the existing socket for the rear lounge area.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
I think that would work.

If yours is like mine, you have two small table tops - one with the socket for the pedestal, one without. The one without could possibly be used as a counter extension by the cargo door via a Lagun, leaving the table top that has the existing socket for the rear lounge area.
Michael,
Thanks again. The model I have, 22C actually has 3 tables. 2 mount to the floor and 1 is not functional as a table, but is used as part of the bed when it is opened. I will consider this option.

Tags
coachme, coachmen crossfit