Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Adding Awning to Chevrolet Roadtrek?

I have a 2004 Chevy Express Popular 190 that does not have an awning and probably never has had one. The pinstriping on the fiberglass roof has a "void" where an awning should be.
Does anybody have photos or details on how to go about adding an awning to this particular model?
Cheers, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0952 - Copy.JPG (817.7 KB, 42 views)
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

likely the Fiamma f45i came on the R/T, that's what i have on my pleasure way ( chev)

The fiamma uses 2 brackets attached to the shell and the fiamma attaches to that.

mine are pretty much centered to the 1 side door and centered above the rear window- in my van I can access the inside nuts by removing panels in my cabinets - it looks like...I just went out and had a look

I have found gowesty.com to be a good source for small parts ( and priced 1/2 of fiamma direct)

here's another site which sells parts and an illustration of the type of brackets used
https://pantherrvproducts.com/fiamma...apter-bracket/

Maybe someone with an R/T can take some measurements for you

our awning is very rarely used- and for the cost I'd suggest a 10x10 popup from cdn tire

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Platinum Member

RT used several different awning manufacturers over the years. My 12C190P has a Thule 5003 awning. This is similar to a Carefree awning. The awning is mounted on three aluminum "J" brackets. They are riveted in place with a black mastic adhesive as a backup. The bottom of the awning is mounted at the roof drip rail. The problem with this location is the awning must be tilted upward to clear the opened side door. Note the drip rail arcs downward from the center of the van.

I built a roof rack system and remounted the awning 3 inches higher up on the rack uprights. I've attached 2 pictures. One shows the black mastic at the rear and center. The front awning bracket is located at the front roof rack support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1598612335591.jpg (43.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1598612436556.jpg (75.2 KB, 34 views)
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Our 07 Chevy has a Fiamma and it mounts to 3 aluminum plates that are pop riveted through the fiberglass roof through other plates on the inside of the roof. If your van doesn't have the inside plates already installed, it could be a big job to duplicate as they go behind the walls of the interior.

You may be able to contact the new Roadtrek with serial number and find out for sure that it didn't have an awning on it, and if it didn't if the interior plates were put on all of the vans or not.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Fiamma is located in Orlando Florida and you can buy directly from them. I have purchased parts from them and they are very helpful.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Our 2014 came with a power Carefree. It works reasonably well, but I have a few dislikes. (1) Like all case awnings, it’s easily damaged by wind. (2) As someone said, clearance over the side door is tight. (3) The front support blocks the front passenger door. (4) It’s very expensive.

If I were starting over from scratch I’d seriously consider a Shady Boy awning.
https://www.shadyboy.com/
Old 08-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I have a 2004 Chevy Express Popular 190 that does not have an awning and probably never has had one. The pinstriping on the fiberglass roof has a "void" where an awning should be.
Does anybody have photos or details on how to go about adding an awning to this particular model?
Cheers, Steve
Hi Steve,

The top added to the Express Van is not necessarily like another top added by say Pleasure way for example. Mine is an 05/04 190.

The side of the top is Not flat, curved. Mine was mounted to the top with long rivets, 3 mounts with different spacers.

If I purchased another 190 (same vintage), not sure exactly what I would do. If mine were sitting next to it, it would be simple to just copy it.

Nice looking 190!

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If your van doesn't have the inside plates already installed, it could be a big job to duplicate as they go behind the walls of the interior.

You may be able to contact the new Roadtrek with serial number and find out for sure that it didn't have an awning on it, and if it didn't if the interior plates were put on all of the vans or not.
It is possible that Roadtrek may have put the inside plates on all their vans, not
knowing how the customer was going to order the unit. But I would not go drilling holes without knowing!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm@atlanticbb.net View Post
It is possible that Roadtrek may have put the inside plates on all their vans,

maybe a magnet?
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm@atlanticbb.net View Post
It is possible that Roadtrek may have put the inside plates on all their vans, not
knowing how the customer was going to order the unit. But I would not go drilling holes without knowing!

I think that is very possible, but hard to find out. That is why I suggested calling to see if the new Roadtrek knows if they are in place on all units.

I think they would have to be held in place somehow as on ours it appears rivets held them in and they would show with no awning. There are two sets of rivets, at least on ours. One group just holds the inner and outer plates, and a second set goes through the awning bracket and both plates.

The plate were aluminum on ours, so no magnet would find them. Metal detector maybe would as the roof is fiberglass in that area.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:39 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I like the idea of those roof racks as it would give a mounting point for solar panels. What brand are those? Also, how did it effect your fuel mileage? I'm getting 11 or 12 at the moment.
I happened to drive past a Roadtrek last Friday that was heading into Renfrew and they had the awning removed but left those 3 mounting points on the van for some reason. It's unclear how much we would use the awning as we are late sleepers and then drive late into the evening. We need to learn how to relax more on our trips.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I like the idea of those roof racks as it would give a mounting point for solar panels. What brand are those? Also, how did it effect your fuel mileage? I'm getting 11 or 12 at the moment.
I happened to drive past a Roadtrek last Friday that was heading into Renfrew and they had the awning removed but left those 3 mounting points on the van for some reason. It's unclear how much we would use the awning as we are late sleepers and then drive late into the evening. We need to learn how to relax more on our trips.

11-12 mpg is really low for a Chevy 190 assuming it is a 6.0. The norm would be closer to 14-16 mpg for most of us. We run near max load, with 3 solar panels on the roof, oversized tires and still get over 14 at 70+mph.

Might be time to have someone get a look and see what is going on with it.

I think they probably left the plates on so they wouldn't have to deal with the holes in the roof, plus if you remove the rivets the inside plates may fall, rattle and also prevent putting an awning back on later.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I bought a couple of sets similar to the link. They required modifications by welding on upright extensions. I may add some solar to maintain the batteries, while in storage. I get about 12 mpg, while towing my 3,200 lb car and 14-15 without the car.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K8PGS5?tag=picclick0f-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
Old 09-02-2020, 02:03 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think they probably left the plates on so they wouldn't have to deal with the holes in the roof, plus if you remove the rivets the inside plates may fall, rattle and also prevent putting an awning back on later.
I drilled out the rivets for my awning brackets to reuse them on the roof rack. I haven't noticed any new rattles and I hate rattles! Maybe RT used adhesive on the inside brackets liked they used on the outside ones.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #15
Platinum Member

The van has new plugs and wires from the dealer so it seems that it is mainly my driving that is the issue. I cruise at 80 when I can and I'm always stomping on the gas pedal. 4-cylinders and diesels don't mind being beat on but the V8 6.0 can definitely burn fuel. The Dodge Roadtrek with the 318 got about 16 MPG for me but had 1/2 the power.

Good to know that I would need to do a bit of fabricating so I can use whatever racks are available at the time.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:37 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Based on the photos, I can now see imperfections in the fiberglass where these three mounts should be placed. You can clearly see the locations where holes could be drilled for rivets.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #17
Platinum Member

When you guys are towing do you use the tow/haul mode? The van seems to have unlimited towing power.
I got 10 mpg towing a 7x16 trailer. Total weight was 13,040 lb and I kept it to 60 mph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2108 - Copy.JPG (525.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-24-2020, 03:26 AM   #18
Gone Traveling

After I read some reviews about Carefree on https://www.riversidetrailer.com/best-rv-awnings/
I decided for the cost savings to take the chance and order anyway. I am glad I did, they came complete as they should and they look great! Installed this awning on our RV with no problem.
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote