Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #21
Platinum Member

A quick use of a Cab Chassis, add two hinged and retrievable rails, electric winch, a Casita and enjoy the package for about $50-60K.
Attached Images
File Type: png cas.png (545.8 KB, 45 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
It looks nice. I just don't understand who will be their projected market? If it is the current Leisure Travel market then it will be like their current B competition with other B upfitters and they should do very well. If it is more of an expedition crowd, then I don't see it making big inroads. It would need to be more rugged. I have started to look more at some of these to replace my B. I like the simplicity and rugged builds of the pop-up box on a flatbed truck like the Nimble, Overland Explorer HBE and the description of the upcoming EarthCruiser Terranova. Having a domestic gasser truck that can be fixed most anywhere in the US is a big plus. The add-ons like treated wash water for reuse could be something that I could get use to using. The electrical systems on these are always good but so has the AdvanceRV. If AdvancedRV did go expedition mode, it would be great to start having such an option further east.
EarthCruiser is doing a shower water recycling system for the EXP and FX, not sure if they will offer it on the other models or not.

At the moment, if we were going to downsize our expedition vehicle, I would probably go with the EarthCruiser FX on the Chevy (Isuzu) dual cab forward gasoline chassis that they are switching to next year now that Fuso is getting out of the NA market. Probably a year or more away when we decide to switch from full time RVing to part time...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Greg, I didn't realize MB didn't supply 4wd cab chassis in North America. It would make sense if this B-Box did with all that they put into it to go off grid. I guess I wasn't thinking about it or concerned as I committed to 2WD on my next short 144 Sprinter with all season off-grid capability because I have no interest to go off-road in a van with such an investment. That's pretty much counter with many of the 144 Sprinter builds as popularized by Winnebago Revel. Heck, I even try to avoid gravel roads when I can.
Unless they have changed, MB offered the 4wd option on cab chassis in Europe but not in the US. Hymer builds a nice 4wd small Class C on that chassis in Europe with single rear wheels and a nice floorplan.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Unless they have changed, MB offered the 4wd option on cab chassis in Europe but not in the US. Hymer builds a nice 4wd small Class C on that chassis in Europe with single rear wheels and a nice floorplan.

Nice C class RV, minus 20% VAT about $115K.
Attached Images
File Type: png hym.png (444.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:

That appears to be the same concept of keeping inside an equivalent van's dimensions in height, width and length which no Class C manages to do in North America I think. It first appears wider because the walls are straight up vertical. A split system air conditioner would probably have to be employed to keep it below 10 ft. in height and you know Americans would demand AC.

As for the single rear wheels that could be a different regulation problem in allowable build and loading. I struggled to keep a 2500 Sprinter 144 viable in weight capacity and get the features I wanted. BTW, a Super Single wheel was no benefit. I went over that with ARV but in this typing I don't remember the details.

I don't think you can compare prices in Europe and assume they can sell them as cheap here. That could be disappointing wishful thinking. There must be something other than VAT for the apparent disparity.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Nice C class RV, minus 20% VAT about $115K.
I have wondered if there is a reasonable way to translate the European RV prices to an equivalent USD cost but I suspect there is no easy way to do the conversion. A mute point of course since they can’t be exported over here...
Old 10-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have wondered if there is a reasonable way to translate the European RV prices to an equivalent USD cost but I suspect there is no easy way to do the conversion. A mute point of course since they can’t be exported over here...
Unfortunately I agree, mute point. Perhaps factory automation is far less expensive there.

But, just bought a new Sony 20mm lens, $900 in US and currently 1000 € in Germany including VAT.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Quote:
i have wondered if there is a reasonable way to translate the european rv prices to an equivalent usd cost but i suspect there is no easy way to do the conversion. A mute point of course since they can’t be exported over here...

€109,987.00 = $129,650.19
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
€109,987.00 = $129,650.19
German price includes 20% sales tax (VAT).
Old 10-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #30
Bronze Member

Default Advanced RV B-Box RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgera View Post
german price includes 20% sales tax (vat).

€98,988.30 = $116,526.76 The rate changes by the minute, so this is an estimate. Moot point though, we can’t get that Hymer here. The ARV looks like maybe just south of $400,000.00, eh?
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:56 AM   #31
Platinum Member

I am incredibly impressed with ARV's unceasing innovation and design development. They are the standard in the class B segment, in my opinion, and their new B-Box is far more impressive than any other class B currently on offer. Of course, I know it is technically a class C, but given its svelte dimensions I consider it a class B anyway. I do share some of the small concerns others have raised, but overall I think it's an amazing design that I will definitely consider when I'm ready to build. Although, I would definitely opt for the Transit cutaway chassis with AWD or maybe even a Quigley 4x4 conversion. The Sprinter is fine, but I have a slight preference for the Ecoboost engine over the diesel.

Kudos to ARV for raising the bar even further than they have in the past. I just wish they could bring the price down on their builds. They are a very hefty investment, but I generally think they're worth it, given the high level of innovation and quality.

I'm also keeping an eye on George over at Humble Road. He's an excellent innovator as well and I would be almost as happy to own one of his builds, though they are not on the same level as ARV.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #32
Platinum Member

George is a man after my heart. I love what George (Humble Road) is doing and his experimental creativity. I have no idea what his builds cost but he is putting in considerable time in his builds and experimenting isn't cheap. ARV is the same but they have a staff of 30+ people with wide expertise to execute the builds and satisfy the dreams of its customers. I know it's not cheap to have an ARV built but I would not be satisfied otherwise or I would have to be like George. Time to do it restrains me and I know what I would have to go through as I devoted a semi sabbatical of almost two years designing, cutting timbers, and building a heavy-timber mortise and tenon wood-pegged home.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Yeah, ARV is nice, for sure, but when I called them and they quoted me the general price range for a Class B from them, I thanked them very much, hung up the phone, caught my breath, and went looking for a more affordable solution. I don't see how George could do it for much less given all the time and love he puts into a Humble Road van, but I sure do love to watch his work.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #34
Platinum Member

George "Humble" has a talent to present his work, very entertaining. His video skills are impeccable, making his presentations very clear. I am not sure he is utilizing 80/20 aluminum framing to its full potential of high strength and low weight, but his woodworking skills are perfect.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yeah, ARV is nice, for sure, but when I called them and they quoted me the general price range for a Class B from them, I thanked them very much, hung up the phone, caught my breath, and went looking for a more affordable solution.
That reminds me of the old saw, "if you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it or want it anyway." Many of us desire a Lamborghini but balk at buying one. Some Lamborghini's can be absurdly up to 70 times the cost of a Corvette.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That reminds me of the old saw, "if you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it or want it anyway." Many of us desire a Lamborghini but balk at buying one. Some Lamborghini's can be absurdly up to 70 times the cost of a Corvette.
I would add to “Can’t afford it” can’t justify it. This decision depends on potential buyers’ objectives, some can some can’t, and some can’t effort it. Getting a heavily depreciating asset like for example an ARV would go against my financial principles and I am not even Irish.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I would add to “Can’t afford it” can’t justify it. This decision depends on potential buyers’ objectives, some can some can’t, and some can’t effort it. Getting a heavily depreciating asset like for example an ARV would go against my financial principles and I am not even Irish.
I could not agree more. But still, I like reading about all class b builds and more power to those who will accept no less than the best.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Hey Booster, you said...

"but add to it that the dual rear wheels will also be a big downside for anything that would really be considered "offroad".

What's wrong with duallies offroad? I'd think that duallies would enhance traction with additional surface area? Army trucks had them for decades until tire improvements demonstrated single tire traction was equal, but those are Army truck tires.....
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
Hey Booster, you said...

"but add to it that the dual rear wheels will also be a big downside for anything that would really be considered "offroad".

What's wrong with duallies offroad? I'd think that duallies would enhance traction with additional surface area? Army trucks had them for decades until tire improvements demonstrated single tire traction was equal, but those are Army truck tires.....

Most of what I have seen on offroad tires would indicate the duallies on mud or wet grass would slide around just like they do in snow and ice around here, which I have experienced. Too wide and don't bit on the slippery stuff. Plus they are very prone to getting rocks caught between them if they are the right size. I don't think I have ever seen a buggy or crawler with duals or even a mud truck that I remember.

One of the reasons the trades guys around here resisted the heavier duty Sprinter 3500 was because of the duals as they would get stuck in construction sites. They almost all want singles.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Very similar to a manufacrurer here building on the IVECO Daily chassis. It is all composite as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpeg-17.jpg (39.3 KB, 20 views)
RobRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advanced rv b-box rv