Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Carado Axion Studio coming soon

This new model really intrigues me. It's a good entry-level van based on the 17'9" Ram 1500. The couch can remain as the living area and the pop top can serve as the 'permanent' bed. I'm up well before my S/O and I can go downstairs to make coffee and read while she sleeps in. If it's really cold out, we keep the top down and convert the couch into a bed.

The difference between this and the PW Tofino I was considering is that I would have a separate bed and full-height living area, and a bathroom. It only has seat belts for 2 though. In Canada it's priced around $13,000 less than an Aktiv 1.0. I'll have to delve into the details to see if it's worth the discount.

If any of you see one at a show or something, report back.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It seems as going back to the future in NA, not so much in EU as they never stopped pup-up camper vans. We loved out 1977 and 1985 VW Westfalias. I am glad that this old design is reemerging. Limiting B-vans market to 2 retirees is missing the family market potential growth.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
It seems as going back to the future in NA, not so much in EU as they never stopped pup-up camper vans. We loved out 1977 and 1985 VW Westfalias. I am glad that this old design is reemerging. Limiting B-vans market to 2 retirees is missing the family market potential growth.
You can't travel with kids though. Only 2 seat belts. I still see it as a couple's RV. It just has more living/sleeping space squeezed into a vehicle the size of a GMC Yukon.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a DIY camper van, but I'm really digging this van. And now with the pop top, it's every more exciting. I just wished the QC of the interior was better. The few we've looked at have had really flimsy cabinets and I don't like the dark brown.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Silver Member

I have a 2018 Carado Banff, 19'6", which I bought in July 2018. If the Axion Studio had been available then, I'd probably have considered it. I mostly travel alone but could have someone with me occasionally. It only takes a minute or two to set up and dismantle the king-size bed in the Banff, but I would prefer to have this popup so that the bed is always ready and seats and corridor below are always available, too.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Storage capacity?

How would you guys rate the difference in the interior storage capacity between the Tofino and the Axion?

It seems to me to basically be the difference mainly between easily accessible overhead storage cabs in the Axion vs. the big open rear storage of the Tofino.

Offhand, I’d guess that the Tofino would have better build quality.
GBail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Bronze Member

The Axion Studio is a neat looking rig, the build on these is a little better than the Banff's with Truma Heating Systems and all the other goodies and I believe some insulation as well and for the $$ a great value at $85K or so list, wonder what they are going to sell out at?? I purchased an '18 Banff as well and all in with options MSRP at $83K net $61K.

The Hymer Aktiv Loft is a good pop up option as well with the longer 2500PM Chasis at 19 1/2' again a little higher build quality and higher sticker as well.
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Sportsmobile pop tops lift the whole top up with 7' headroom.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

This van is on our shortlist due to short length and function of the pop top. Does anyone know the tank size ? The standard axion is 22 gallon combined black/grey with 17 fresh. Little small for extended boondocking. The axion studio website shows 22 black, 22 grey, but I am wondering if this is a misprint, as the 2 vans appear identical other than the pop top.
Stevetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I can pretty much guarantee that there is only one 22 gallon tank. With a van this small, not enough space under there for 3 tanks and the batteries.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I agree, if there is a grey tank it would be just for the kitchen sink and it would be 5-6 gallons and located under the sink inside, this is how they have on the Banff. All the back water, toilet, shower and sink go to the black tank.
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I can pretty much guarantee that there is only one 22 gallon tank. With a van this small, not enough space under there for 3 tanks and the batteries.
What could further limit the capacity of the fresh & black/grey combo is the undermount AC.