Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default CAVANS and 80/20 and HDPE

I don't remember if this van was already posted so just in case if it wasn’t. Very nicely done conversion with the 80/20 aluminum framing and HDPE combo. This is the first time I see this combo in the commercial van conversion world. HDPE, which is used extensively in the marine world, somehow it didn’t gain traction in the RV world.

Aluminum framing is light weight, strong, corrosion resistant. HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) has good weather resistance, easy to work with all woodworking tools, no finish required.

I built mine in 2013 and since still like this combo of 80/20 and HDPE.
CAVANS has some interesting concept, some of his videos show benefits of light weight aluminum framing.

https://canyonadventurevans.com/outfitting-glss
Attached Images
File Type: png 8020hdpe.png (814.3 KB, 31 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I don't remember if this van was already posted so just in case if it wasn’t. Very nicely done conversion with the 80/20 aluminum framing and HDPE combo. This is the first time I see this combo in the commercial van conversion world. HDPE, which is used extensively in the marine world, somehow it didn’t gain traction in the RV world.

Aluminum framing is light weight, strong, corrosion resistant. HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) has good weather resistance, easy to work with all woodworking tools, no finish required.

I built mine in 2013 and since still like this combo of 80/20 and HDPE.
CAVANS has some interesting concept, some of his videos show benefits of light weight aluminum framing.

https://canyonadventurevans.com/outfitting-glss
Thanks for sharing this. Since I’m not interested in a Winnebago Revel for gear hauling this company’s kits add a whole new dimension of utility to use a Revel for my needs in a new van.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

With the 80/20 aluminum framing these 2 benches could easily be modified to a daytime napping place with an additional pillow and a couple of beams. It will be interesting to see how this one person startup will prevail, wish him best.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

George - what size or profile 80/20 did you use and what thickness HDPE?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
George - what size or profile 80/20 did you use and what thickness HDPE?
I primarily used 15 series (1.5 in) I have a small storage behind the passenger seat from 10 series (1 in) and folding table from the Quick Frame (1 in) profiles. I was contemplating using a combination of 10 and 15 series pending loads but added complexity swayed me away.

Bulk of my HDPE is 1/4 in, so some sides, some bottoms or fronts are ¼ in. Drawers fronts, door cabinets, and some countertops are 1/2 in. Galley's countertop is from 3/4 in material. HDPE is not used as a structural element; strong aluminum frame is more than sufficient. For example, none of the cabinets' rear side have HDPE except for containing cargo in storage compartments or for mounting components. Overhead cabinets have 1/4 in bottoms and 1/4 in sliding doors.

Very often I am asked about the potential vibration noise, a 0.25 in thick HDPE is placed in the are 0.320 in. 15 series profile slots, so rather loose. For fixed cabinets I use the 80/20 silicon gasket, about 1 in strips every 6-8 in apart. For sliders, I used a specific fishing line threaded through small holes on the edges. Works great for the last 6 years.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Great info, thank you
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavans 8020 hdpe