Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #1

Default Class B w/ storage in the US?

First post, so please be gentle ....

Short of a “custom build” are there any manufacturers making a Class B with meaningful storage available in the US?

Something along the lines of the Safari Condo XL Flex (Canada), the AlphaVan (Europe), or Panoramic (Canada) ?

Mission is traveling (probably not more than a few days in any single location with occasional boon docking, but not off-roading) with a few toys along (e.g bikes, golf clubs, inflatable raft, hiking gear, etc) for 2.
Yak-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi and Welcome

Smarter people will be along soon which suggestions for models which offer space inside the rear doors under the bed.

Some of the premier names in class B vans are Canadian

I have an older Pleasure Way on a chev...an inflatable kayak will fit under our bed, a 8' plastic one can be carried vertically on a rack at the rear. many use hitch mounted racks for bikes, motorcycles and etc.

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
Site Team

If you are buying used, consider looking for a late-model GWV Legend (no longer in business). They have a very clever rear seat/bed that (a) is clear-span (doesn't touch the floor) and thus has lots of storage underneath it, and (b) can be moved far forward, creating a huge storage area while under way.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Not made anymore, but the RoadTrek 210 from 2005 to 2019 has an external storage compartment sized for golf clubs. Storage under rear sofa could probably handle an inflatable. Another external storage compartment too. Great internal storage too. We have had our 2006 210P for 10 years and still love it.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Winnebago's Revel 4wd van with rear lift bed has a large open storage area under the bed. For those who need more structured storage the GLSS (Garage Lounge Storage System) from Canyon Adventure fits into the Revel's open rear area to provide extra drawers, seating, etc.

And VanDOit's LIV model provides a large rear storage area with slide-out gear tray on the Ford Transit chassis. However it's more of a modular adventure van and lacks the integrated shower, bathroom, and utility (fresh/waste water) systems found in most Class B RVs.

Many of us would love to have something like the Safari Condo XL Flex van with it's large rear garage and extensive storage nooks available in the US. But unfortunately nothing at that level is currently available in the standard US market.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:03 AM   #6
Platinum Member

And if you're looking for the rear modular flip-up bed configuration featured in the Panoramic RV that's a bit easier to find in US Class B's such as Thor's Sequence A and Tellaro AT models, Winnebago's Solis, Storyteller Overland's Mode 4x4, or used versions of the Hymer Aktiv 1.0 and 2.0.

Fixed or flip-up rear platform beds are also common in custom vans from builders such as Sportsmobile, Outside Van, Tourig, and similar upfitters. Some of those may be available on the used market.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Among older T1N Sprinter-based models, the Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser G24 was ahead of its time. You can see an example of one here.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Silver Member

We have a 2013 Winnebago Era170A with the fixed bed rather than the sofa. While the garage isn’t as big as Interblog’s or in a Revel it is good sized. It has a full width pull out tray and extra depth on the passenger side that goes the length of the bed.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m surprised there isn’t a 24’ sprinter widely available with a raised/platform bed floorplan. Something like a bigger/comfier/less-off-road Revel. Bigger bed/fridge/bath would be possible on the 2WD 170 Ext.

Seems a significant (at least to me) gap in the US market. My wife thinks the problem is that no one considers storage when they’re new/shopping/on-the-dealer lot — so the manufacturers don’t waste precious space on it. Who knows, probably I’m just weird.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Another approach might be the Midwest Automotive Designs Sprinter Passage model with loft bed option. Normally the area under the rear power loft bed is configured as seating and dining space. However someone with woodworking skills could probably remove the seating and convert it to a more open storage area similar to the Safari Condo XL Flex.

You might be able to special order a MAD Passage and request they configure the rear under-bed area as storage from the factory.

MAD also offers the power loft bed option on their 21ft Promaster Legend Class B.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Another approach might be the Midwest Automotive Designs Sprinter Passage model with loft bed option. Normally the area under the rear power loft bed is configured as seating and dining space. However someone with woodworking skills could probably remove the seating and convert it to a more open storage area similar to the Safari Condo XL Flex.

You might be able to special order a MAD Passage and request they configure the rear under-bed area as storage from the factory.

MAD also offers the power loft bed option on their 21ft Promaster Legend Class B.

Yes, I’ve seen this one on paper (websites) but never IRL. When I contacted the factory they confirmed they could be ordered (8-10 months) and also that the bed was only 48” wide (48x72 or something). That *might* work, but it seems awfully small (even unnecessarily small) and I would have to see one in person to know. As an MD2 model (which has the desired larger fridge) this is another unbuyable “paper tiger” that meets our specs (maybe).
Old 10-22-2020, 11:27 PM   #12
Platinum Member

More storage? I tow it behind me. Small Cargo Trailers by Hybrid Trailer Co., LLC ? Huron, Ohio
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Yeah, this is exactly the problem I’m seeking to solve/avoid.
If it involves towing I could go full-on toy hauler and “have it all”.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Titan vans just showed off their latest build that could have lots of storage with only upper bed setup. Its based on the 170” Sprinter but could be Ford or Dodge also 2 or 4x4. I’d want a indoor shower pan at least too, but don’t necessarily need a separate room for toilet and shower to maximize living space.

See: https://youtu.be/xy4jfHmRtvI
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:40 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
but could be Ford or Dodge also 2 or 4x4.
Dodge no longer makes vans. Ram vans are Fiats!!! My experience would make me more comfortable with a VW!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak-55 View Post
When I contacted the factory they confirmed they could be ordered (8-10 months) and also that the bed was only 48” wide (48x72 or something). That *might* work, but it seems awfully small (even unnecessarily small) and I would have to see one in person to know.
Thank you for following up on those MAD Passage loft bed details. At 48" wide that is narrower than I would have expected (hoped?). Unfortunately just seems too cramped for a tall couple.

The Safari Condo XL Flex lift bed is nominally 60x76. Actual mattress length on the XL Flex we rented measured about 74.5". But we stuffed throw pillows into the gap beetween the mattress and rear doors which made the effective length about 79". It was very comfortable sleeping for two.

We loved being able to leave the bed made up permanently, and then just lift it out of the way during the day for bike and gear access. At night we lowered it to just above the bikes with front wheels off.

It's shocking to me that US Class B manufacturers don't offer this layout. In the towables market toy haulers with gear storage is a common and popular market segment.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
Titan vans just showed off their latest build that could have lots of storage with only upper bed setup. Its based on the 170” Sprinter but could be Ford or Dodge also 2 or 4x4. I’d want a indoor shower pan at least too, but don’t necessarily need a separate room for toilet and shower to maximize living space.

Thanks for the pointer. Seats and sleeping for 5 in a class B (apparently on a budget) seems a bridge too far. They lost me at the cassette toilet hidden behind the seats for use in the aisle ... but hey, I guess that’s the beauty of a custom build.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Thank you for following up on those MAD Passage loft bed details. At 48" wide that is narrower than I would have expected (hoped?). Unfortunately just seems too cramped for a tall couple.

The Safari Condo XL Flex lift bed is nominally 60x76. Actual mattress length on the XL Flex we rented measured about 74.5". But we stuffed throw pillows into the gap beetween the mattress and rear doors which made the effective length about 79". It was very comfortable sleeping for two.

We loved being able to leave the bed made up permanently, and then just lift it out of the way during the day for bike and gear access. At night we lowered it to just above the bikes with front wheels off.

It's shocking to me that US Class B manufacturers don't offer this layout. In the towables market toy haulers with gear storage is a common and popular market segment.
My wallet would be much lighter right now if the SafariCondo Flex XL could be bought (and serviced during warranty) in the US. Layout and functionality are excellent for my needs ... I’d prefer a slightly more upscale fit and finish ... but that’s the sort of nit I could look past. But custom builds seem to be the only way to scratch that itch in the US market today.

Looks like something like an Interstate GT, or American Coach Patriot MD2, or a Pleasure way Plateau TS will be the best I can find ....
Old 10-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #19
Bronze Member

There are Class C motorhomes being referred to as Class B+ and that have the width of a Class B but are 22 to 25 feet in length. The extra length provides a lot more storage space. An example is the Winnebago Trend 23L which does not have the sleeping space over the cab as with a typical class C motorhome but provides a large bath and galley and more storage space.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The Winnebago Trend is 17" longer, 16" higher and 15" wider than the largest Class B van (a Sprinter van) and it is a Class C not a B+ according to Winnebago. I would call that significant. There is only one cab-chassis RV in North America that can claim no bigger than the largest van and that is the ARV B-Box RV I posted. There are some, maybe many, in Europe that can't be purchased here to the lament of North American buyers.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote