Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Coachmen Class b Factory Tour with FitRV

Most of this video is about the insulation...

Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Couple things that I noticed - the factory floor is somewhat cluttered. Not sure if that means anything or not.

They are focusing on insulation, which would be good for those who would rather skirt the frost line than follow the 70deg line.

There are a few good shots on what's happening behind the walls. Those will help if I decide to start modding.

I think I saw one big 8D battery under the CrossFit instead of two 31's.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Nice new 12v a/c unit. Coachmen is doing some nice stuff on their B's.
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A lot of great stuff in that video.

Just a few thoughts:

1) It was a private tour, so let's hope the same care and attention is taken on the regular production line. Just a side note, my '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite (think Roadtrek 190) had insulation that was hit and miss with a lot of miss. It was as if Airstream gave their insulation guys 1/2 the amount needed and told them "Just do the best you can."

2) Seems strange to me that rockwool is touted as this great form of insulation. Perhaps it is, but several houses I've owned since the 70's had this form of blown-in attic insulation so it is nothing new. And if it's so good and been around for 50+ years, why did local home builders switch to fiberglass about 20 years ago?

3) Love that 12v a/c. If I was building a lithium system, it would a definite "must have".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

2) Seems strange to me that rockwool is touted as this great form of insulation. Perhaps it is, but several houses I've owned since the 70's had this form of blown-in attic insulation so it is nothing new. And if it's so good and been around for 50+ years, why did local home builders switch to fiberglass about 20 years ago?
When my parents had insulation blown into the walls during the 70's, they used cellulose, not mineral wool (AKA Rockwool). Cellulose tended to compact over the years so the R-value decreased with the tops of the walls eventually having no insulation whatsoever. I'm not sure if they treated cellulose with fire and insect repellent at the time, but I don't believe mineral wool needs fire retardant or insect treatments.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
I think I saw one big 8D battery under the CrossFit instead of two 31's.
It's probably the same battery that is installed on the non-Li3 Galleria. It's a Lion Brand 8D AGM with a pretty substantial 325ah rating.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
A lot of great stuff in that video.

Just a few thoughts:

1) It was a private tour, so let's hope the same care and attention is taken on the regular production line. Just a side note, my '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite (think Roadtrek 190) had insulation that was hit and miss with a lot of miss. It was as if Airstream gave their insulation guys 1/2 the amount needed and told them "Just do the best you can."
I had been interested in the Crossfit for a while and on a recent cross country trip decided to see if I could tour the factory. We called Coachman to inquire about a tour, they informed us they have no regular schedueled tours but would be happy to give us a private tour .

When we arrived we met Nick the general manager who spent over 2 hours showing us around . All I can say is that video is exactly what we saw. The easiest thing to notice was the insulation and how it was stuffed into every nook and cranny, they really were doing a decent job. I ended up ordering a Crossfit after the visit.

Nick also mentioned he likes to say yes to his customers, I can tell you that was exactly my experience also. A few of the things I asked for were leather covered front seats a countertop extension, polar pak and a few other things . I was met with a yes to everything.

I should be taking delivery in a couple weeks.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
Silver Member

I will say this about "rockwool"... as I've experienced it being used in a small (160 square ft) metal shed that was converted to a temporary office on a construction site. It's NOT the cold weather application that impressed me. Don't get me wrong, great insulation for super cold, particularly paired with a small heater. No, it was the ability to keep that metal box cool on a hot day. Very exciting in a world where everyone wants the ability to run their air conditioning without shore power. I would guess that it reduces run time on air conditioning substantially. who knows? We shall see..
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post

Nick also mentioned he likes to say yes to his customers, I can tell you that was exactly my experience also. A few of the things I asked for were leather covered front seats a countertop extension, polar pak and a few other things . I was met with a yes to everything.

I should be taking delivery in a couple weeks.
My experience exactly with Nick. Because I have two artificial knees, I requested a second hand rail at the side door, and he said they would install it.

My Galleria is currently on the Coachmen assembly line, and is due off the line on Monday, 1/28; so I should have it in a week or so. Coachmen is extremely customer conscious and oriented; and a real pleasure to do business with.
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Couple things that I noticed - the factory floor is somewhat cluttered. Not sure if that means anything or not.
It appears to have not affected Tesla and they produce many more vehicles per day - In A Tent Structure No Less.

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

@Phoebe3: Thank you for bringing this video to our attention.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
It's probably the same battery that is installed on the non-Li3 Galleria. It's a Lion Brand 8D AGM with a pretty substantial 325ah rating.
That would be sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
My Galleria is currently on the Coachmen assembly line, and is due off the line on Monday, 1/28; so I should have it in a week or so.
Maybe we saw it being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
It appears to have not affected Tesla and they produce many more vehicles per day
That Tesla shop looks organized, not cluttered
Old 01-25-2019, 12:45 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
That would be sweet.
It's a premium battery made by Relion and has a 330ah rating. Going to a single 8D precludes the necessity of the more complicated cabling involved in multiple 27/31 batteries. However, replacing an 8D without help is an invitation to hernia surgery.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:22 AM   #14
Bronze Member

they are making 2 different class B RVs with multiple options in the same shop. This requires alot of cabinets to be on hand. When I received my tour I noticed how organized John keeps the massive inventory and the work spaces in the shop. Its very clean.
Coachmen Crossfit owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 PM   #15

Could an owner add a second one of these AGM batteries? with additional solar?
CrossfitPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:39 PM   #16
Bronze Member

my Crossfit has 2 agm batteries. GoPower roof solar panels x2 100w and 2 external plug in panels. All Factory installed.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Crossfit owner View Post
my Crossfit has 2 agm batteries. GoPower roof solar panels x2 100w and 2 external plug in panels. All Factory installed.
Thanks for your information. Is yours a 2019? Do you also have an inverter in that package that came from the factory? I assume those AGM batteries fit in the same battery brackets I have with 2 lead/acid batteries. I expect I'll just keep using the originals until they quit or I find I am having more "need" than they provide. So far I'm getting by, but thinking I want an inverter to run the induction cooktop at least.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 PM   #18
Bronze Member

2018 built on a early 17 transit. they are an easy swap out. Mounted in the exact Same place. This was to give me longer 12v to keep fridge and lights going while boondocking. not running ac or microwave. I have the generator for that . my stove is propane. I am build #29 so I am a 1st edition so to speak. The agm batteries let me boondock longer and the external panels let me park in the shade when summer arrives. I havent tested that yet.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:16 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Mine is a 2019 built in May 2018 on a late 2017 chassis. It came with two 105ah lead acid (not AGM).
Old 02-01-2019, 03:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Crossfit owner View Post
2018 built on a early 17 transit. they are an easy swap out. Mounted in the exact Same place. This was to give me longer 12v to keep fridge and lights going while boondocking. not running ac or microwave. I have the generator for that . my stove is propane. I am build #29 so I am a 1st edition so to speak. The agm batteries let me boondock longer and the external panels let me park in the shade when summer arrives. I havent tested that yet.
That's helpful information, our Crossfit is pretty similar, 2018 on 17 chassis, but we just got it in late Oct. 2018 tho it looks to have been built almost a year earlier! I do wonder how much life the original coach batteries have in them after "sitting" for a year, can't tell how often the coach was in the sun for solar charging or plugged in... Seem to be working ok.