Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Some of you demonstrate a lack of understanding how business actually works in this day and age.
The comments below are not meant to be cruel but I have seen 1st hand what happens under situations like this and been in those board room discussions where senior leadership referred to some employees as 'Talent' (worthy of retaining) and the rest as 'Commodities' and I tried to not show the look of shock on my face.

Wincrasher is 100% spot-on in his assessment.

We all know... the men and women who work for Hymer NA are the most valuable asset of the company - because this is spoken of often /s

CTV Kitchener
Published Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:53PM EST
Employees at Erwin Hymer Group have been given some clarity as they still face an uncertain future. The company told employees today that there are no layoffs planned in the next few months.

CTV EHG NA Video Segments

CTV Kitchener News Segment #1

CTV Kitchener News Segment #2

CTV Kitchener News Segment #3
Note the Family Values on display @ 1:21

CTV Kitchener News Segment #4

CTV Kitchener News Segment #5

We all know... Roadtrek, Erwin Hymer, and now Thor share the same values and would put the concerns of Hymer NA at the top of their list of priorities. /s

Christian Hymer, son of the late founder, Erwin Hymer and member of the EHG Supervisory Board said, "With Thor Industries, our family has found the ideal new owner partner for the Erwin Hymer Group to successfully continue on its long-term growth and internationalisation path. Thor Industries and the Erwin Hymer Group are cut from the same cloth and, in their philosophy, still bear the stamp of their founders.

As wincrasher has suggested, the Hymer family wants out of the RV business and the best price on the deal with Thor. Indiana is chock full of people with Class B RV manufacturing skills (who will probably undercut the Canadian pay / benefits structure). Thor has multiple manufacturing facilities capable of building Class B RVs and branding them as 'Hymer, Roadtrek, Carado, etc.).

The decision to decouple Hymer NA from the Thor purchase should make everyone nervous.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Never fear, all of the employees and most of us owners are nervous and many dealers have already slashed their prices to try to unload their inventory and some are restricting their warranty work out of fear of not being reimbursed. For instance, La Mesa, which is one of the largest dealers will now only do warranty work on products that they have sold. Other will have to pay upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I would think the second plant being used for Hymer travel trailer production would be something that Thor might want to acquire since these units fill a need that is not being filled for a lightweight trailer with quality construction. Maybe it continues as a Hymer brand or gets integrated into Airstream. I wouldn’t think that Thor would want these trailers produced by anyone else and it wouldn’t make sense for the new Roadtrek to do both Class B and travel trailer production.
The new factory set up by Hymer in the old Blackberry facility is making all of the Hymer Class B's and the little travel trailers as I understand it and so it appeared to some who have toured the factories up there.

This brings up another question for me (and likely many others including Hymer and Thor. All of the product names belong to EHG... right? How does one separate EHGNA from EHG? If Thor buys EHG, don't they immediately own all the names that EHG owns and uses in Europe (which would include the trailers and NA's Roadtrek.) EHGNA may be a "branch" of EHG, but is totally owned by EHG. The Hymer products like the Activ don't exist in Europe (a European clone) and the Carado is a brand name in Europe which has no relation to the Carado products in NA.

This feels like a legal nightmare to separate... which to me, makes it less likely that EHGNA will survive.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #83
Bud
Platinum Member

"This feels like a legal nightmare to separate... which to me, makes it less likely that EHGNA will survive."

Has Roadtrek starting dying? Yes unless someone(s) Want to and the then Choose to and then Can keep it alive. Seems like that is going to have to occur sooner rather than later. One of the Roadtrek advantages, 6 year warranty, will soon be near death.

"many dealers have already slashed their prices to try to unload their inventory and some are restricting their warranty work out of fear of not being reimbursed"
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Default Dear Auditors.....

Dear Auditors. I have not receive my $5,000 special rebate offer check after submitting all the paperwork before the deadline in 2018. Unfortunately, I did not keep a copy of the paperwork for myself and I have subsequently sold the vehicle to an out of state purchaser 4,000 miles away (it appears they have changed their residence as well).

When you find a $5,000 accounting error as part of your audit, that will be my rebate and look forward to you expediting the check to my attention.

Best wishes on your continued work on behalf of Thor and EHG.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:35 AM   #85
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
This brings up another question for me (and likely many others including Hymer and Thor. All of the product names belong to EHG... right? How does one separate EHGNA from EHG? If Thor buys EHG, don't they immediately own all the names that EHG owns and uses in Europe (which would include the trailers and NA's Roadtrek.) EHGNA may be a "branch" of EHG, but is totally owned by EHG. The Hymer products like the Activ don't exist in Europe (a European clone) and the Carado is a brand name in Europe which has no relation to the Carado products in NA.

This feels like a legal nightmare to separate... which to me, makes it less likely that EHGNA will survive.
It's not all that complicated, I think. If Thor wants the North America rights to the Hymer products (Carado/Activ/etc) then Hymer can split those products off into a new subsidiary which Thor then buys along with EHG, leaving EHGNA the owner of just the Roadtrek products. If Thor doesn't want those things, then they stay with EHGNA. That might mean that EHGNA has the rights to the Hymer name in NA and Thor has the rights to it in Europe, but I think that sort of split has been done before.

I think the bigger problem for Roadtrek is that no-one seems terribly interested in owning it. The current owners of EHG seem to want out of the business entirely, and Thor apparently is satisfied with having just the Airstream class Bs. I don't see the current owners of EHG just shutting down EHGNA if they don't have to, but I also don't see them investing a lot into the business either. Without a buyer that actually wants it, I suspect it will continue on the gradual decline it's been on, possibly for quite a while. That's assuming, of course, that they survive the PR problem they currently have. If they don't get out in front of that, the decline will likely accelerate.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #86

Default Carado

Where is Carado goi6ng in this saga?
Toutpartout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #87

If Thor is opting out of the Hymer NA purchase, but is buying all the rest of Hymer, then the beneficiaries of the sale will end up owning Roadtrek and all the other assets of Hymer NA. And these sellers will have around $3 billion in their pockets. So it might be difficult for them to declare bankruptcy. Seems to me that the Roadtrek factory, product line, and dedicated employees will prove to be a great opportunity for the right person/persons out there. We do not have a Roadtrek, but see them out there pretty much every day in our travels. Whenever I talk to Roadtrek owners, they pretty much all talk about how great the Roadtrek experience is. Sure, they have had problems. So have most other RV brands. There is still a lot of value in the Roadtrek name, and, despite what looks like a few bad apples, I think there is a future for the company.
rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #88

Default Should I cancel my order?

I ordered a 2019 Agile SS about 6 weeks ago. They estimated a June delivery. On Friday, I contacted my salesperson and was assured they would 'work with me' and not leave me hanging. We decided to wait and see how things play out with Roadtrek.

But now I am thinking I would be smart to just bail.

I can try to find another class B I like from the dealer and move on or I can ask for my $ back (the deposit).

Please do tell me what you think and what you would do in my position.

Thanks in advance,

Laura
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #89
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I ordered a 2019 Agile SS about 6 weeks ago. They estimated a June delivery. On Friday, I contacted my salesperson and was assured they would 'work with me' and not leave me hanging. We decided to wait and see how things play out with Roadtrek.

But now I am thinking I would be smart to just bail.

I can try to find another class B I like from the dealer and move on or I can ask for my $ back (the deposit).

Please do tell me what you think and what you would do in my position.

Thanks in advance,

Laura
Anything special on your order like 4wd or was it a standard Agile?

Have you looked at a Pleasureway Ascent? A good alternative from a company that has few dissatisfied customers if you like it...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Anything special on your order like 4wd or was it a standard Agile?

Have you looked at a Pleasureway Ascent? A good alternative from a company that has few dissatisfied customers if you like it...
Oh how I wish now I had purchased that one. I was so close. I made several calls to dealerships looking for one and even made an offer. The dumbo never got back to me then texted me 10 days later and said he had been on vaca.

The Agile SS is amazing. I got it loaded with the premium power package and even the new white interior that isn't even showing availability online yet. But I didn't get the 4X4 as I just couldn't spend another 9,000.

But, the Pleasureway Ascent is my second choice. I am going to have to take another look at it, thank you.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #91
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Oh how I wish now I had purchased that one. I was so close. I made several calls to dealerships looking for one and even made an offer. The dumbo never got back to me then texted me 10 days later and said he had been on vaca.

The Agile SS is amazing. I got it loaded with the premium power package and even the new white interior that isn't even showing availability online yet. But I didn't get the 4X4 as I just couldn't spend another 9,000.

But, the Pleasureway Ascent is my second choice. I am going to have to take another look at it, thank you.

Laura, welcome to the forum!

Don't know what to tell. Could be a bad time to buy a Roadtek made during their time of turmoil. Or they could be so glad to have work and a job they take their time a do it right, but I'd lean towards the former.

The Ascent has 200Ah lithiums, but they do not have the Agile's compressor fridge or macerator dump system. Only you can decide what is best for you.

For more on the Agile, check our Ultramobility's videos on youtube.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #92

I have seen those videos and really enjoy them. I have just emailed my dealer to ask to switch my order to the Ascent. I think I may just go ahead and get a 2019 and not wait for a 2020 which is what I would be getting if I ordered one now. Sounds like I wouldn't get it until next fall as slow as things are going. But, I haven't actually checked on that.

I can work around the unfortunate refrigerator issue although I do not understand why they use that and don't change it. I won't miss the macerator since this will be my first van and I have nothin to compare it to.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #93
Bronze Member

For the amount of money these vans cost and with RTs future (both short and long term) uncertain, I believe you did the right thing switching your order to the Ascent. I would have probably switched as well had I been in the exact same situation. Best of luck!
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #94

In closing, I would like to report that I have zero problem with Roadtrek, the company, the employees etc.. In fact I clearly love the brand or would not have ordered one. But, in this situation I just cannot afford to do anything else other than change my order.

I am definitely going with the Ascent and am about to negotiate price. As these are also in high demand I don't have a ton of leverage.

Can anyone recommend a (realistic) target price for me to shoot for?

I will also post this in a more appropriate thread since it is now off the original topic.

Thank you all for your valuable input.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #95
Gold Member

I am a newbie, in the market, also was looking at RT/Hymer, but now due to their financial issues, may look at Ascent (but it is so pricey!) I have been told Dealers price about 20% less than MSRP, but some of them inflate the MSRP. Also saw that Pleasure Way discount off MSRP is maybe 10-11% I guess it all depends on the dealer and how badly they want your business? And with no Ascents on the lots (they have to be ordered, so they may not deal much on price as demand is so high). Costco works with some RV dealers, but none near us. Buying a used Ascent is pretty much impossible (as far as I can tell anyway). Would much prefer to buy a 2 year old low miles camper van, but hard to find exactly what we want. Pleasure Way pricing thread on sprinter forum https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=47402
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #96
Platinum Member

Production halted at Cambridge RV manufacturer, employees say

CTV Kitchener
Published Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:38PM EST

Multiple employees at Erwin Hymer have confirmed that production has stopped at the RV manufacturer in Cambridge.

CTV was told there was a meeting on Tuesday morning at the facility and that employees are no longer allowed to touch the vehicles because they have already been sold.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Production halted at Cambridge RV manufacturer, employees say

CTV Kitchener
Published Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:38PM EST

Multiple employees at Erwin Hymer have confirmed that production has stopped at the RV manufacturer in Cambridge.

CTV was told there was a meeting on Tuesday morning at the facility and that employees are no longer allowed to touch the vehicles because they have already been sold.

If they are talking about new, untouched, vans I could understand that part, but certainly not with partially finished ones. Originally the employee said they only had the partially finished ones to work on, no new ones brought in, so they may have reached that point.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #98
Platinum Member

The fat lady is clearing her throat. This is the end.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #99
Platinum Member

Regardless of what happens from here, I did not see this coming.

Hymer Group's management must suck as bad as the suspended Roadtrek managers were dishonest. Could be the family is all about cashing out and just will not allocate the financing necessary to get EHGNA back on any kind of financial footing. Not even enough to limp it along to seek a buyer.

What a shame the way they are treating customer's and employees.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:20 AM   #100
Platinum Member

Perhaps all facility including inventory was sold at heavily discounted price and new management will conduct finishing partly done vans and hopefully continue with the Roadtrek. Someone could be afraid that quality of work could be unacceptable and prefer to wait for new bosses to step in.

If I would be in Hymer family shoes I would want to end it quickly.

To turn sour so fast it had to be something major.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote