Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Generator Exhaust - Roadtrek 2007 Agile

My new-to-me SS Agile has a gen exhaust that extends toward the right rear corner, but does now extend enough to clear the undercarriage. I want to get an extension. But, now I wonder if that is enough. Is it right that the exhaust come out on the same side as the sliding door.?

Where do other gen exhausts on Sprinter frames protrude?

I wonder if it is as simple as loosening some bolts and turning the exhaust pipe in the direction I want, or do I have get something new from Cummins? I suppose a local muffler shop can provide the 8-10" extension I need to clear the body of the van.
OldPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In my experience it is rare for a generator exhaust to exit on the passenge-door side. There must be a reason and you will probably discover it when/if you try to change it.

The generator exhaust pipe is 1 1/4” stainless tubing. It is difficult to find and you will find that few muffler shops have dies to bend 1 1/4” tube. Cummins sells it.

Cummins sells a resonator for their generators. It doesn’t quiet things down much but it does make the noise a little more pleasant. Perhaps welding it in line will give you the extension you want.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPilot View Post
My new-to-me SS Agile has a gen exhaust that extends toward the right rear corner, but does now extend enough to clear the undercarriage. I want to get an extension. But, now I wonder if that is enough. Is it right that the exhaust come out on the same side as the sliding door.?

Where do other gen exhausts on Sprinter frames protrude?

I wonder if it is as simple as loosening some bolts and turning the exhaust pipe in the direction I want, or do I have get something new from Cummins? I suppose a local muffler shop can provide the 8-10" extension I need to clear the body of the van.
Last year, I was in process of changing out the refrigerator. For about 6 months, I had a temp refrigerator but could entirely close up the two vents from the preexisting unit. Worried, genny gases would come back into the cabin via the vents. I purchase a length of metal exhaust tubing from O'Reilly's auto supply. Used a hose clamp to connect to genny exhaust and pointed it away from the vents. No exhaust gas came into the cabin. I only used a couple of trips before I replaced the refrigerator and resealed the vents properly.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Our Class B is built on a 2004 Sprinter. Both the engine and the generator exhaust pipes exit at the right rear of the vehicle, and both extend far enough to clear the underside of the van.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:26 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Gen exhaust is fixed

I found a local muffler shop to fix me up. We decided to run the exhaust out the rear driver's side. That is the configuration I have seen most often. It keeps the exhaust away from the possible open sliding door on the passenger side.

This shop used a 1-1/2" pipe to slip over the 1-1/4" Onan exhaust pipe. Welded the two together. They put two exhaust hangars. We decided on about 2" of extension beyond the body.

This problem was a challenge. Onan's policy is to provide a short 1-1/4" OD exhaust pipe and leave any needed additon up to the user or OEM provider. Most RV retailers won't work on a unit older than 10 years. Even Roadtrek in Canada said my unit predated the prior company's bankruptcy in 2019 and I would have to look elsewhere for advice.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:53 PM   #6
Bronze Member

On our 2015 Agile, the generator exhaust comes out just behind the rear tire on the driver side. It is just below and about flush with the fiberglass faring, so it doesn't protrude beyond the body.

Because the passenger side is generally the hangout side when camping, the exhaust is pointing the other way.
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:26 AM   #7

Our 2010 Agile is the same as Oregon Trader's. The generator exhaust exits behind the rear wheel, driver side. It is probably something they changed sometime after your year to prevent fumes and reduce noise on the passenger side where campers generally sit when outside the van.
Blue Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:14 AM   #8

The exhaust typically comes out on the same side as the sliding door. You can try adjusting it by loosening the bolts, but you might need an extension pipe from a local muffler shop to clear the van's body.
ceoshank88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:59 PM   #9

Ensure to stay away from awning windows I f you are rerouting an exhaust.
Retired Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Default Just have to be aware to be safe.

I am I lot smarter now than what I was when I bought this van. Back then the exhaust was too short and pointed in the wrong direction. I eventually found out that the gen had been overhauled/repaired by a Cummins shop. According to their rules they only install the OEM exhaust beginning part and expect the owner to do whatever is needed to make the rest right. I had to find the right exhaust shop to finish out the hangars and extension. I had to pick where I wanted the exhaust to end.

So in my case my choice was right rear (sliding door problem) or left rear (window open problem). I picked latter. I just have to check the window closed completely when using the gen.

I am parked just now next to a "big box" Sprinter class-B with gen exhaust at rear of driver door, just by extension system. Just imagine: exhaust in when you open driver door. Or maybe, exhaust through incomplete seals on the room extension.