Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Great Western Reviews

Hi

What do you think of the Great Western brand. Seems they are made in Canada. I may have a chance to look at one this weekend. Its a 1999 with 59k miles(?) for $22k. It looks very clean on inside with white cabinets and a full wet bath.

HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Most of us who have owned Great West vans have pretty good opinions of them.

Note, however, that the company is out of business, so you would be buying a orphan.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I, too own an orphan, a pre-bankruptcy Chevy Roadtrek, so I have thought about that. A lot.

The van is a Dodge, for which parts are readily available. The interior is mostly cabinetry and standard RV components. Fabrics and headliner materials won’t be available, but that’s typically true for any camper more than a few years old, orphan or not.

The main things thing you have to be concerned about are the external rocker pods/lower trim and the fiberglass top. If any of those get damaged (fender bender or falling tree limb), they will be difficult or impossible to replace. Fiberglass can be repaired, but it’s costly for professional work, and there’s a point of no return.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
Gold Member

I called the owner and asked some questions. This model didn't come with a generator. To use the A/C one must plug into shore power or run the engine.

Am I too soft for wanting a generator? haha. Living in SoCal and wanting to park where there is no full service it seems a bad idea not to have one.

I did a search and didn't find anyone in forum not using a generator
Old 12-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
I called the owner and asked some questions. This model didn't come with a generator. To use the A/C one must plug into shore power or run the engine.

Am I too soft for wanting a generator? haha. Living in SoCal and wanting to park where there is no full service it seems a bad idea not to have one.

We took ours out about 5 years ago and haven't missed it a bit, but we don't live in hot country. The only time we searched out shore power was two summers ago going from Denver to San Fransisco when it was 100-105 every day and we wanted to be able to sleep only and weren't in the hot areas as tourists. In the about 7 years we had our generator it didn't even get to 30 hours of use.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Mine came without one, and it was one of those "gift horse" situations. Our travel trailer doesn't even have A/C, and we generally avoid traveling to places where it's required. But if we were passing through a hot place on the way to some place cooler in the RT, we'd just spring for hook-ups. In the desert SW, it can be quite hot during the day but cool down enough at night to sleep comfortably with just the powered roof vent.

You might be able to run some A/C units off of a portable, quiet inverter generator in the 2000-2500W range with help from a soft start capacitor on the A/C. Depends on the specs of the A/C and genny. One advantage of a portable unit is you only bring it when you need it.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:31 AM   #7
Gold Member

booster - i'm imagining something like my car left out in a parking lot for a few hours. At least the next few months would be tolerable without a/c

jon - i have a portable swamp cooler i use in my home to save electricity, it would work even better in an rv.

You guys gave me something to think about. up to now i was taking the generator for granted. I do like the rv in the pictures. if its still around on Saturday I'll check it out
Old 12-16-2020, 03:09 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I had a small rooftop swamp cooler on a travel trailer I lived in full time many years ago. Couple of comments... One, it uses a fair bit of water. Fine if you're connected to hookups (as I was), but could be a problem if you're boondocking in a Class B, which typically has a fairly small tank. Two, it only works in very low humidity. In eastern Arizona, it was great in May and June but ineffective during July and August monsoon season. Traveling, it would be pretty useless most places east of the Rockies.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I had a small rooftop swamp cooler on a travel trailer I lived in full time many years ago. Couple of comments... One, it uses a fair bit of water. Fine if you're connected to hookups (as I was), but could be a problem if you're boondocking in a Class B, which typically has a fairly small tank. Two, it only works in very low humidity. In eastern Arizona, it was great in May and June but ineffective during July and August monsoon season. Traveling, it would be pretty useless most places east of the Rockies.
I grew up (in Los Angeles) in a house with a swamp cooler on the roof. My portable is on wheels and has its own little tank. In my home its only ok if i point it at me. It may take up too much space in a class b, but there are little table-top models too.

Here is the cooler i have (I paid $47 for "used-like new") https://amzn.to/3rby7qG

I'll ask current owner who lives near me with similar weather his experience. Like you said, I can adjust my destinations accordingly. And maybe no generator is one less headache. I like your unit and never would think a generator in that would be optional. I learn something every day!
Old 12-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Yes, it was optional. Options are often decided by dealers rather then buyers, and they tend to order all the most common options to appeal to as many buyers as possible. Based on tracking ads for units like mine, I’d estimate 80% or more do have a generator.

My mother bought this one. She always camped with hookups, so she had no need. She’d had a bad experience with a generator in the past (probably because she didn’t use it enough). I don’t know if she special ordered it without the generator or managed to find the rare one on the lot, but yes- for her and her travel style it was one less thing to worry about.

I had never heard of a swamp cooler until I moved to Arizona and don’t know if a small tabletop cooler would be enough for a Class B. Cooling ability depends on a number of factors, including the size of the pads, the volume of air moved by the blower, the size of the space, how well insulated it is, and the temperature and humidity of the outside air. My rooftop unit was good in dry heat up to the mid-90's; above that it would get uncomfortable. Covering sun-facing windows with Reflectix panels or parking in the shade helps reduce heat gain (when I had my trailer it was just aluminum foil). Putting one of those white wrap-around covers on the cab would help a lot.

Does this unit have a powered roof vent (Fantastic Fan or similar)? It looks like it might have one toward the front of the roof. Put it on exhaust at night, open the back windows by the bed, and you'll instantly feel a nice breeze while you sleep.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #11
Platinum Member

When I ordered my 2004 Great West, I said no generator, but asked that it be wired for one in case the next owner wanted to install one. The new buyer a few years later did run it up to the factory in Winnipeg to add it.

I had a generator in my Libero and loathed the damn thing since I didn't want or need it... and it was just a PIA to always have to exercise the stupid thing... did it religiously and still every year repairs cost a few hundred dollars.

My last two rigs have had the UHG/second alternator. The only way to go in my opinion. That is a useful option. No exercising... no service required... you don't even know it is there, but it is if you need it.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
My last two rigs have had the UHG/second alternator. The only way to go in my opinion. That is a useful option. No exercising... no service required... you don't even know it is there, but it is if you need it.
You signature shows one of them was a RT170. I didn't know they ever offered that on the Chevy models. How does it work with A/C? Do you have to idle the vehicle? (Newbie question...)
Old 12-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #13
Platinum Member

My 170 was one of the first, if not the first, Chevy with the UHG. Since I have stuck with AGMs, I always have to idle the engine to use the UHG to power the AC.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 12-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

That would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad@live.com View Post
That would be a deal breaker for me.
I viewed the van yesterday. The A/C worked well off the batteries (with solar panel). How long it should be left to run I don't know. However, given the comments and experience of owners here, along with the availability of purchasing a portable inverter generator for a few hundred bucks, I no longer think an rv generator is a must have.

I have issues with the van for other reasons and will not be purchasing it. For those that are interested, here it is: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/an...248121280.html (This is not a recommendation)
Old 12-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Default gw brochure download it if you like may not be up forever!

https://www.docdroid.net/03xRl6e/gw-van-pdf enjoy ! ours is a titan
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I viewed the van yesterday. The A/C worked well off the batteries (with solar panel). How long it should be left to run I don't know. However, given the comments and experience of owners here, along with the availability of purchasing a portable inverter generator for a few hundred bucks, I no longer think an rv generator is a must have.

I have issues with the van for other reasons and will not be purchasing it. For those that are interested, here it is: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/an...248121280.html (This is not a recommendation)
I too have the Inverter that will run the AC, but at 13 amps draw, the battery bank will deplete rapidly.
If one can count on adequate Solar no problem.; otherwise a Genset is nice to have.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
I viewed the van yesterday. The A/C worked well off the batteries (with solar panel). How long it should be left to run I don't know.
Without being plugged in with just a couple AGM batteries, no matter how much solar, the AC will only run for 15-20 minutes... tops.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme