Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Stealth camping. There are a few definitions by many as with the other term, boondocking. My definition is stealth camping is camping just about anywhere like on a street, driveway, parking lot, non-camping grounds without calling much attention to yourself that you are doing so (occupying the van.) You probably can't be really stealth but just enough to not alarm anyone which means no slide outs, awnings, camp chairs, etc. Stealth can depend on not screaming you are an RV with outside appearances, but most Class Bs can't do that but it has led to a trend of no swoops and wave graphics or brand names, fake windows with a passernger van appearance, darker vans, and fewer obvious attachments such as vents and accessories--a clean up of sorts.

Boondocking kind of goes hand in hand because to be stealth you can't have hookups. Boondocking, of course, derives from out of place non-campground sites out in the "boonies." A lot of people have just settled on the term as no hookups or services and not in a campground but some of us have just defined the term as without hookups. Boondocking you can put out the awning and camp chairs in some places and live outside except in places like a Walmart parking lot which eventually would cause a loss of privilege for all of us as it would attract negative attention. So stealth and boondocking can go hand in hand.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Stealth camping - camping in a vehicle that looks like a commercial looking van or box truck in a area where camping is not permitted.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Stealth camping is more tricky when using a van that has an attached awning or rooftop AC, or one that stands out as a fairly obviously converted camper van.

Here's a funny (to me) video from Patrick, host of NJ Outdoor Adventures YouTube channel, wherein he somehow successfully stealth camps in his van. I have no idea how he pulled it off, given his (very cool, but super obvious) van.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Stealth camping - camping in a vehicle that looks like a commercial looking van or box truck in a area where camping is not permitted.
Exactly! How about camping in a windowless and stealthy van with near a school. First time I heard about this attribute on the Sprinter forum, and am still in shock how common it became, it is even openly advertised by some.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Not necessarily not permitted. I would never stay overnight where it was not permitted, but as I said, I don't want to call attention of my occupying a B overnight. I've parked, parallel parked, on the streets legally in New York City and elsewhere many times and especially at family and friend's homes. I don't recall that video of Outdoor Adventures ten points of stealth camping saying to do so when not permitted.

This one is three nights stealth camping (sleeping) on a narrow one way, one driving lane street street in Queens Village, New York City a half block off busy Jamaica Blvd if you know it. The driveways were exactly 25 feet apart. That's my wife's aunt's home in the background. The man staring me down was my wife's cousin and not an angry neighbor. BTW, that house just sold for about $600,000.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #26
Platinum Member

When we are camping on a surface street we do not pull the front blinds in our Roadtrek. We just leave the bathroom door open so that it blocks the view into the back half of the van where we are sleeping.
This gives the perception that the van is unoccupied rather than being used as a camper. People will also honk at you or talk loudly beside the van if you have your blinds pulled too late in the morning which is annoying.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #27

Class B that sleeps four, with A/C? I don’t need to sleep four often (maybe ever) but I’m wondering if I can’t have two sofas lengthwise in back so one can sleep on each, or pull together for a king.

Then, have a platform bed, preferably electric. Keep near the high roof all the time, or maybe leave 1-2 feet from the ceiling and use as a storage attic vs a garage). Lower it some when two others need to use as a bed.

Cramped quarters and some moving parts for sure, but a compromise I’m considering

Does anyone have a view whether this is: 1) a reasonable idea/ask?; and, 2) possible with a primary dealer, or in the aftermarket? Thanks.
Dove RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #28
Platinum Member

ARV once designed a rear convertible electric sofa into a bed and above it a stacked sectional flip out full width bunk bed for two kids. During the day the B could be used for seating with a table like you see in many B designs and the bunk folded back up where shelving would normally be and didn't intrude. That was a one off for a customer. I think there is a video on YouTube from Advanced RV's library.

There are lots of DIY bunk solutions in tall vans to sleep four without blocking aisles and exits or or need for pop-ups on Pinterest.

I still think the Airstream Westfalia Sprinter of 2005-7 was one of the best designs with lots of innovation for sleeping four and it was a short sprinter. Alas, it was really an imported James Cook model and they only sold few of them despite promoting them heavily in the Class B market. Sprinter Westfalia » Westfalia James Cook and Airstream Westfalia
Old 11-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I still think the Airstream Westfalia Sprinter of 2005-7 was one of the best designs with lots of innovation for sleeping four and it was a short sprinter. Alas, it was really an imported James Cook model and they only sold few of them despite promoting them heavily in the Class B market.
No wonder- it's too tall! It'd be a beast to drive in the wind. I'd personally much rather have a pop-top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove RV View Post
Class B that sleeps four, with A/C? I don’t need to sleep four often (maybe ever) but I’m wondering if I can’t have two sofas lengthwise in back so one can sleep on each, or pull together for a king.

Then, have a platform bed, preferably electric. Keep near the high roof all the time, or maybe leave 1-2 feet from the ceiling and use as a storage attic vs a garage). Lower it some when two others need to use as a bed.

Cramped quarters and some moving parts for sure, but a compromise I’m considering

Does anyone have a view whether this is: 1) a reasonable idea/ask?; and, 2) possible with a primary dealer, or in the aftermarket? Thanks.
The question I have is where you'll safely seat the rear passengers in forward-facing seats with 3-point belts and head restraints.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #30

Thanks both fir the feedback. I’m not on Pinterest but will take a look.

Re 3-pt seatbelts and forward-facing...you are right. Sub-optimal.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove RV View Post
Thanks both fir the feedback. I’m not on Pinterest but will take a look.

Re 3-pt seatbelts and forward-facing...you are right. Sub-optimal.
I don't know if you have to belong to Pinterest. I'm not active but I must have signed up. I get daily emails of others that collect things or websites I am interested in. They call them pins or just collections of similar stuff. Since I designed bunk beds in my van and searched I am pretty I've got almost every bunk bed in a Class B ever posted as pin suggestions. Some how they figure it out if you use search engines, Amazon, Google, Facebook or whatever. That's kind of disturbing. I went on Google for my wife to get samples of Tiffany Blue color so she could make our daughter's wedding face masks for guests for COVID. Wedding was in August. Now I get email suggested pins for stuff made with Tiffany blue mostly female craft stuff.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #32

You ought to watch The Social Dilemma on NFLX - it’s worse than you think!
Old 11-14-2020, 01:54 AM   #33
Platinum Member

I was often adding “-pinterest” doing search on Google, just recently I added a plug-in “Unpinterested” in Chrome so I don’t have to type it.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pdijpoknfjpbfe

I think it is available on other browsers as well.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote