Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #1

Default Guidance on buying a Class B which sleeps 4

Hello!!

This is a great forum with a wealth of info. I did look around and found some old post regarding this topic but nothing related to the newer models is available out there. So here is what I am looking for:

* A Class B which will sleep 4, 2 adults and 2 Teens.
* We need this mostly for weekend and may be a bi-monthly long trip lasting 1-2 weeks.
* An RV which will fit in a regular parking spot
* Occasional boon-docking
* Black Tank a must and nice size toilet
* Good fuel efficiency
* All season use
* Price range under 80K-100K (out-the-door price)

I would really appreciate any help and guidance from the members here.

Thank you all!!
Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

It's a tall order to find a "b" that sleeps more than two. Sure some have an exta bed, but they are usually best suited to small children, not teens.

Prehaps a "Loft" model like the Winebago Solis. But remember, there is no a/c or heat to the top bunk.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #3
Platinum Member

any rv is a pile of compromises

i think your desires may trend towards a larger C

harder to park and more gas, but it will give you space for family
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:20 AM   #4
Platinum Member

One thing to look for is whether the rear seating is up-to-date safety-wise. Some only have furniture-grade seats with lap belts. Ideally I’d want forward-facing, automotive-grade seats with 3-point belts and head restraints. Our Roadtrek 190P meets all but the head restraint criteria. However it only sleeps 2, maybe 3 in a pinch, so our two teens sleep in the caboose...
49D8F0E3-8E1A-4BAF-9B7B-3B3B8B2E10EA.jpg
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Until yesterday, I would have declared that a 4-sleeper continues to be the purple squirrel of the Class B world.

But then I saw Alphavan's offering. Design-wise, it's not bad. I mean, if you absolutely HAD to have 4 people in it, I don't know what you'd change about their design.

The caveats, of course, are:

(1) It's a German product available in Germany
(2) Starting price is said to be around $150K

Nevertheless, the OP may wish to look at that model as a go-by of what he/she is desiring to obtain here on the other side of the pond.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Until yesterday, I would have declared that a 4-sleeper continues to be the purple squirrel of the Class B world.

But then I saw Alphavan's offering. Design-wise, it's not bad. I mean, if you absolutely HAD to have 4 people in it, I don't know what you'd change about their design.

The caveats, of course, are:

(1) It's a German product available in Germany
(2) Starting price is said to be around $150K

Nevertheless, the OP may wish to look at that model as a go-by of what he/she is desiring to obtain here on the other side of the pond.
Nice van but I'm not seeing 4 people traveling comfortably unless it is two pre-teens. It has that typical two person crowded together uncomfortable upright back seat typical of European vans. That Euro cost of 150,000 would easily translate to over $200,000 here.

I think the closest thing to fryspam's criteria in the US was Airstream's MB Westfalia design circa 2005 based on the James Cook high roof van. There were very few sold here but they pop up for sale used ocassionally.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:05 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Jon: Doesn't your van only have 3 seats in it? That's all our 2004 Popular 190P has and it's a bit annoying. The sleeping is better than the Versatile but not enough seats.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
Jon: Doesn't your van only have 3 seats in it? That's all our 2004 Popular 190P has and it's a bit annoying. The sleeping is better than the Versatile but not enough seats.
Mine has the rear jackknife sofa option with two 3-point belts. I don’t have either of the middle jump seats because it also has the enclosed wet bath option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Depending on your definition of sleeping 4 and of comfort overall, you might want to take a look at the new Winnebago Solis 59PX. It's a pop-top that also has a bed in back.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #10

Check this out at https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises/.

There are a few Class B models can sleeps 4.
HiltonLok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Most any modern sprinter can get front beds that sleep 150lbs up to about 5’6”. Find a coach like a Galleria 24Q or Winnebago 170X ERA that has for captains chairs and join the fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88EE312B-0064-4CA0-8A31-F320A8AE7019.jpg (129.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 544076A7-5F9B-4E2E-8D94-97F0D7287E64.jpg (140.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 75BCF283-9403-446B-8A09-8A0C94787A7D.jpg (68.7 KB, 24 views)
black88mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #12

Winnebago VW Rialta.....if you can find one!
gatotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #13
Silver Member

Everything is a compromise. We just ordered a Solis Winnebago. It sleeps 4 with the pop top being a queen and the Murphy bed almost a queen. It has 4 seats with 3 point seat belts. The problem is 2 teens on the top bunk. A friend has a Travato and they travel with a teen and a 100 plus pound dog. Their son has a bed set up in the drivers seats, they so not have the pop top. So you could have 1 teen in the pop top and 1 teen in a drivers seat bed. Check out the Solis it just might work for you. We love it because its 19' 9" and can park in a parking spot. All the best in your search.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #14

Hello All!

I really appreciate all the replies and great suggestions.

I just came across the RoadTrek Zion Slumber, any thoughts? With all the changes happening with the ownership and management, is it ok to venture in that direction?

Also, I like the PW Lexor FL and it may work out with the Cabbunk???

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #15
Bronze Member

What about a Winnebago Travato 59G? The FitRV people raised their rear bed to make room for bikes; you could turn that area into a bed. The other teen could sleep on the front bed.

A small class C would fit 4 better. It would have more storage and have bigger tanks.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #16

Try ModVans at modvans.com. It has 5 seats with three point seat belts and sleeps up to four. It is built on a Ford Transit low roof extended length van with a pop up that sleeps two. A second bed is located on main floor. It can come in two wheel, AWD or 4 wheel drive. A/C and heat, toilet, sink, stove with the possibility of a microwave. Will fit in a regular size parking space. Price is $78,800 up to $100,000+ depending on options. It is completely modular so interior can be removed and used as a cargo van if so desired.
Cherryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #17

Vinci- did you settle on anything? I have all the same criteria. I have been reviewing the Tellaro or the solis.
Thompsonpatrickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonpatrickm View Post
Vinci- did you settle on anything? I have all the same criteria. I have been reviewing the Tellaro or the solis.
Hi Thompsonpatrickm
We settled on the Travato 59G. Here are some things which steered us towards the T.
- Large Fridge and Freezer
- Heated Pipes and Tanks
- Sleeping area (for 4) within the van area for "stealth camping".

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2020, 03:36 AM   #19

We are a family of two parents and two kids ages 10 and 14, with similar requirements to sleep four. We looked at the Winnebago Solis (both the long and short models) and it was close to what we wanted, but the jump seats seemed too upright and close together for the kids to enjoy on long trips. The short Solis is available with a rear forward-facing sofa with 3-point belts, which is OK, but it doesn't have campsite air conditioning. The longer Solis 59PX has campsite A/C and a generator, but is only available with side-facing rear seating, and for safety, we prefer the kids to be in those 3-point belts.

We also looked at a used Hymer Activ Loft, which has a very similar layout to the Winnebago Solis. The kid's seats are similarly upright, but softer and more comfortable than the Solis. The aisle way was quite narrow.

We finally settled on a Roadtrek Zion Slumber, which was just recently introduced by Roadtrek. It's basically the Zion they've been making for a while, but they added a pop-up attic bedroom. It has campsite A/C, which can be powered by its 400Ah of lithium batteries, perhaps in combination with its underhood generator. I preferred the underhood generator over the separate Onan generator below the Solis (Looking at the Solis, I didn't know how I'd change the oil on that Onan under the rear axle). The Zion does not have the front "jump seats", but it has an available forward-facing sofa in the back, with three seating positions, two of which have 3-point belts.

Because the Zion lacks the two seats behind the driver's seat, it has a bit more room than the Solis for cabinetry. It has a bigger fridge, over on the driver's side, and the galley has more storage space because because it doesn't have to fit the fridge under the sink/stove area.

We also looked at the Travato 59G, but we weren't too enamored with the front bed. The main issue is that, when it's set up, it gets in the way of the main door. It basically requires that everyone get up simultaneously. Models with an attic bed allow a teenager to sleep in while breakfast is being cooked downstairs. Or anyone can get up early for a walk around the campground without climbing over anyone else.

It's all a compromise, of course.

We haven't actually seen a Zion Slumber, but we've ordered one based on the older Zion. We'll be getting one of the first ones off the line. We don't have a firm date, but it may be in the February timeframe.
Telegrapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
Hi Thompsonpatrickm
We settled on the Travato 59G. Here are some things which steered us towards the T.
- Large Fridge and Freezer
- Heated Pipes and Tanks
- Sleeping area (for 4) within the van area for "stealth camping".

Thanks!
Stealth camping? You lost me. Telegrapher - thanks for the info!
Thompsonpatrickm is offline   Reply With Quote