Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 03:49 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default How do I remove the two rear coach batteries on RT Adventurous?

I used a floor jack to keep the tray from falling but I can't get the two lock pins out to swing it down. Anyone got instructions?
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If they are the pins that were on the rear tray on my 2015 Agile, I used a little Corrosion X. Then I tapped until they could rotate and after awhile they could be removed. Make sure your floor jack is uniformly lifting the tray and not pushing too much on one side.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
If they are the pins that were on the rear tray on my 2015 Agile, I used a little Corrosion X. Then I tapped until they could rotate and after awhile they could be removed. Make sure your floor jack is uniformly lifting the tray and not pushing too much on one side.
Thanks I’ll try that. Other than the pins it looks like there are two bolts that hold up the side of the tray to the chassis. Can you think of any others?
Old 10-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think that you are correct. If I go out to the back barn I will look at the van to check.

Good luck
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

Good luck. My 2015 RT Adventerous was an absolute bear to remove those pins. Tried everything - PB Blaster, torch, air tools....nothing worked. I had to drop the whole tray, pull the old batteries out, then cut the pins into sections to drive them out. I replaced the pins with 3/8" threaded rod coated in anti-seize compound. I then cleaned corrosion from the tray, repainted, and mounted it back in place. Beast of a job!
Worsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsey View Post
Good luck. My 2015 RT Adventerous was an absolute bear to remove those pins. Tried everything - PB Blaster, torch, air tools....nothing worked. I had to drop the whole tray, pull the old batteries out, then cut the pins into sections to drive them out. I replaced the pins with 3/8" threaded rod coated in anti-seize compound. I then cleaned corrosion from the tray, repainted, and mounted it back in place. Beast of a job!
Yikes. Dropping the entire thing doesn’t look straightforward either tho. I see the two side bolts but not sure otherwise what to do on the ends where the pins are
Old 11-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #7

On the sides where the pins are, there are 2 bolts each holding the top of the pin brackets to the frame of the van. Access is tight, but I was able to get to them easily enough. Once I resigned myself to dropping the battery frame assembly, the job became MUCH easier. I spent hours trying to drive the pins out as I was laying under the van. Once I dropped the assembly, I could set the entire unit on a work bench, cut the pins out, and rehab the assembly with a wire brush, grinder, and new paint. I had to use a floor jack under the assembly (with the batteries still in) to hold the weight as I removed the pin bracket bolts from the van frame. Then I slowly lowered the assembly, disconnected the batteries, lifted the HEAVY batteries out of the frame, then went to work on the frame assembly itself. I also took that opportunity to clean all of the battery connections that I could see (ginder, sander, corrosion resistant spray, etc). The job sucked, but I am very happy with the performance of my four new batteries (they were 5 years old and not performing well).
Worsey is offline   Reply With Quote