Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Aktiv ceiling

This is a bit of a long shot, but I figure I'd try anyway...

Looking at a new old Hymer Aktiv, it's actually on a Sprinter platform (only a few of them out there) and it looks like a few things are missing from ceiling

The A/C is definitely there, as well as the sunroof, and the LED lights. But in front, there is something amiss, centered between the front LEDs. Can anyone tell me what that should be? at 15:19 it is clearly visible.

There are actually a few more holes, I suspect some of those who "checked out" the vehicle have ripped out whatever was there before. I think they may be some older style lights? Look at the video at 4:16, there are 3 of them in the middle of the ceiling distributed throughout. Are those just additional lights?
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
Platinum Member

This is from January of last year... this is the new model prototype and like most of prototypes, not really completed by their first show. The next month Hymer went belly up, so none were ever made other than this one. It may have been completed and sold since going through the bankruptcy court, but who knows. There even might be a couple more that were in process, but I doubt it. Other than this video, I doubt anyone can answer your questions.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks Mumkin. So you figure pretty much NONE of those were sold? Yikes.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
Gold Member

Are you looking at the one in Gilroy, CA? There was a post about that one a couple of weeks ago. They decided to pass, which is a good choice, IMO.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ass-10246.html

edit: I should have paid better attention. That was your post. I gather you are still tempted by the Dark Side...
Old 03-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Yup same same.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Thanks Mumkin. So you figure pretty much NONE of those were sold? Yikes.
Just because of the timing... with the bankruptcy less than a month after this video. Normally a prototype take a few months to hit the market... sometimes as much as a year.

This one was obviously a work in progress... as is common.

Of course, the new "Hymer" - otherwise known as Thor, could possibly start making a similar option. Once the current pandemic stumbles to an end.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Bronze Member

The Hymer Aktiv S is still available. I would not have a problem buying it because the model is still available in Europe as the Hymercar Grand Canyon S. Yes there is no warranty and the cost reflects it, go out and buy an aftermarket warranty.

https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...ighlights.html

I will also add that with the Ecotrek batteries, since the campervan is in Gilroy I would suggest going to a La Mesa RV (Sacramento/Davis) being the closest to have them correct the battery setup from Hymer in Canada. I own a Carado Banff with Ecotreks, La Mesa RV has corrected the set up and also had to replace and upgrade the lithium batteries to the newer L1 model batteries from KS2 because of the improper initial set up. So far the batteries are working like a charm.
PaulB-2006 T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #8
Gold Member

Thinking more about this - because I'm working from home and kinda brain fried at the moment - I figure this van would be a lot like a pretty well-made DIY project. Having built prototype and pre-production products (electronics, not vans), I know that early units are sort of guinea pigs, so I would expect that some things on this unit have not been completely sorted out. Some of the parts may come directly from the euro HymerCar, some might be adapted, and some freshly fabricated. It would be an adventure finding any problems, for sure. If you're comfortable with that, go for it.

I know some folks had a problem with the ProMaster Aktiv UHG catching fire after being moved, so I would look at that on the Sprinter to see whether the same lessons might apply. https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...fire-9696.html
Old 03-19-2020, 10:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks Paul, very useful info. Can you share how much revamping your Li setup roughly cost you? Or was that still covered under warranty?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
Thinking more about this - because I'm working from home and kinda brain fried at the moment - I figure this van would be a lot like a pretty well-made DIY project. Having built prototype and pre-production products (electronics, not vans), I know that early units are sort of guinea pigs, so I would expect that some things on this unit have not been completely sorted out. Some of the parts may come directly from the euro HymerCar, some might be adapted, and some freshly fabricated. It would be an adventure finding any problems, for sure. If you're comfortable with that, go for it.

I know some folks had a problem with the ProMaster Aktiv UHG catching fire after being moved, so I would look at that on the Sprinter to see whether the same lessons might apply. https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...fire-9696.html
I love to do some DIY/improvements, but worry getting stuck on the road without electricity in the cabin, especially since this is an all electric setup, no propane/solar/generator. I like the simplified setup, but it also increases dependency on the batteries working well.
Regarding fires, sounds like there was a lose wire causing sparks. If it was more widespread I'd think there would be a recall somewhere.
More concerned about Sprinter emission codes and CELs on the road...
I have talked to Fedex drivers, and they seem to like their cars, but sensors going out seems to be rather common.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:35 AM   #11
Platinum Member

This rig doesn't have much European about it. It was rather tossed together in Canada with most of the Aktiv and Roadtrek materials. Aktiv owners are having a very difficult time getting any Europe produced parts.

I only know of one UHG fire... that she caught quickly and got put out with minimal damage other than to her nerves... and the cause was a "white wire" that most owners have now removed just in case, because it wasn't needed.

It might be a good buy for someone who can fix the oddities and correct the usual collection of electrical issues. The Aktiv group on FB has lots of techie sorts who know what needs to be done with their rigs. You would be mostly on your own, though they would be useful sources for the similarities.

Just electric... lithiums only with no UHG to help keep them charged?? That would not be a choice without lots of possible problems. And most of us avoid La Mesa dealers. They are notoriously unhelpful to those who didn't buy from them.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Mumkin, it does have a UHG... I'd call them "second alternator", not a dedicated generator one would use to run A/C, microwave etc.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mumkin, it does have a UHG... I'd call them "second alternator", not a dedicated generator one would use to run A/C, microwave etc.
My last two rigs from Roadtrek have had them and I love them. Of course I am fully aware that it is a second alternator. Turn on the engine and it will run the AC or microwave without the noise and vibration of the horrid Onans. Not to mention no extra service required all year.

Be aware that the Hymer systems are all mis-wired and to fix the issues I wouldn't use La Mesa, but a company called Edge Vanworks. The owner knows this system. He is the one who flew to Alaska to help the woman who had the alternator fire.

https://edgevanworks.com/
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Awesome, thanks for that link. They are a bit closer too, so if I go forward with the purchase I'll definitely message them.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks Paul, very useful info. Can you share how much revamping your Li setup roughly cost you? Or was that still covered under warranty?
I am the 2nd owner of my Carado (first guy passed away). He bought it from La Mesa RV in Phoenix. The batteries were replaced before he took delivery and under warranty. I got a Service Tech from a LaMesa to spill her guts, the solar was overcharging the lithium batteries which caused them the swell and crack. They replaced the original batteries with the more current L1 series Ecotrek batteries. They also set the solar and inverter charger to KS2 standards.

In my shopping for either a Hymer, Roadtrek or Carado with Ecotreks I found a sales guy with LaMesa in the Phoenix area who was highly knowledgeable and helpful. He was the one who told me even if I do not buy from them to bring the campervan to a LaMesa RV location for the Ecotrek correction. Do not believe the prior guy, dealerships, whether car or RV, make their money on service.

If you need a simple correction of the batteries set up and reprogram then I could see 3-5 hours of work at a shop rate of around $150/hr. A full Ecotrek replacement could be $1,500 plus install for each battery.

If you go to See Grins for the Aktiv S, if the Ecotrek batteries start and power up the lights and with the inverter power the AC then the batteries are likely okay then you will likely just need to insure they are set up correctly. The newer the Hymer the better they were getting, this is a quote from a KS2 Corp representative.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:26 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB-2006 T4R View Post
In my shopping for either a Hymer, Roadtrek or Carado with Ecotreks I found a sales guy with LaMesa in the Phoenix area who was highly knowledgeable and helpful. He was the one who told me even if I do not buy from them to bring the campervan to a LaMesa RV location for the Ecotrek correction. Do not believe the prior guy, dealerships, whether car or RV, make their money on service.

The newer the Hymer the better they were getting, this is a quote from a KS2 Corp representative.
KS2 was also improving... LOL Every set of batteries that they come out with works better than that before.

That salesman in Phoenix (first initial R...? He knows these rigs pretty well) isn't completely accurate. La Mesa is notorious for being very unhelpful to those who have a rig not purchased from them. (you said that the original owner of yours got it at La Mesa). You go to the end of the line and it can take months to get your rig in... and then they want to keep it forever. I know too many people with nightmare tales of La Mesa service on their EHGNA products... even when they sold it to you.

My advice is to go see Gordon at Edge... he is one of the best with these systems. Either him or Dan Neeley who is a free lance mobile RV tech who covers California. (we so want to clone him...)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme