Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Looking for first RV

Hello!

My wife and I are looking for our first RV and have looked at Roadtrek Simplicity and Zion, Winnebago Travago and Hymer Aktiv. A dealer mentioned to us the Fleetwood Iron and haven't been able to find any reviews on them. i think they are new. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Irok?
Thanks for your help

Brian and Jaye
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I saw one at La Mesa in Mesa, AZ. I walked through it and was talking to the salesman I usually visit with there and mentioned that I was surprised that they were carrying Midwest now. He was mystified as he had never even heard of them. We went back to the rig and then I saw the name iRok and Fleetwood brand. Later I saw why I was confused...

Midwest Automotive was purchased by the REV group... who owns a ton of brands including Fleetwood. So... so it looks like the old Midwest brand is being sold as a Fleetwood. It is rather odd... high gloss cabinetry... a bathroom door that looks like in a house... plush leather covers on all seating.

BUT... I didn't like it much. It rather seemed... off... not a Class B. A matter of taste I guess.

I doubt that you will find anyone who has owned one. They have only been out a matter of months.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #3

Smile

I just took delivery of the Travato 59k 2019 model. Lots of advanced systems. and very roomy. Love the Promaster chassis, smooth easy and fuel eff.
This is my 8th RV and I feel this is my last, and probably the most functional.
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

We just took delivery of our 5th RV. A 2019 Winnebago Travato K. Promaster chassis, runs and drives great. 16+ mpg. Excellent coach layout. Good sized tanks for such a small 21' RV. Good quality of assembly.
There's tradeoffs in all brands and sizes. Being a first RV, be sure you check all the units out you mentioned.
In the Travato, you have a wonderful Facebook group of over 5k enthusiasts and owners that are the friendliest and most helpful out there if you are interested

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I saw one at La Mesa in Mesa, AZ. I walked through it and was talking to the salesman I usually visit with there and mentioned that I was surprised that they were carrying Midwest now. He was mystified as he had never even heard of them. We went back to the rig and then I saw the name iRok and Fleetwood brand. Later I saw why I was confused...

Midwest Automotive was purchased by the REV group... who owns a ton of brands including Fleetwood. So... so it looks like the old Midwest brand is being sold as a Fleetwood. It is rather odd... high gloss cabinetry... a bathroom door that looks like in a house... plush leather covers on all seating.

BUT... I didn't like it much. It rather seemed... off... not a Class B. A matter of taste I guess.

I doubt that you will find anyone who has owned one. They have only been out a matter of months.
It has some standard positive features:

15/18 gallon Black and Grey tanks
255ah (8D) Lifeline AGM
2 kw inverter
Induction Stove
Compressor fridge
Prewired for satellite & Wifi
2.8k generator

The brochure doesn't show an options list. None of the photos show any solar panels and some photos show no awning. At Pomona last year, Midwest indicated they were offering a Xantrex option similar to the Gelleria Li3. It wil be interesting to see if Fleetwood follows through with this option on the IROK.

All in all it looks like a pretty decent build. Looks like it will go out the door for less than 90k.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Hello!

My wife and I are looking for our first RV and have looked at Roadtrek Simplicity and Zion, Winnebago Travago and Hymer Aktiv. A dealer mentioned to us the Fleetwood Iron and haven't been able to find any reviews on them. i think they are new. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Irok?
Thanks for your help

Brian and Jaye
You should look at a new one :Panoramicrv.com very nice completely different layout a lot of storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C85920E2-28B8-47CB-9A58-460E4C8A995B.jpg (146.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 4F528E24-5634-44A5-8E3F-6CDE48B181B4.jpg (145.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg B76362E3-73A3-4497-A8EA-059E59EE05B7.jpg (237.1 KB, 29 views)
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Platinum Member

19jun18 -
Brian and Jay,
Easy as pie to determine where Irok's are located. Just go to the Fleetwood site at this link: https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/locate-rv-dealers

However, this seems to indicate the Irok is presently only in Florida and Michigan.

Whatever you do, just take your time. My wife and I took quite a bit of time to arrive at a decision. That was intentional. Kind of hard to hold back when you want to pull the trigger. However, the time to study at home and the time we spent traveling to various dealers within about 400 miles to see the different brands was extremely helpful. Especially driving a number of them. And when we could, more than just around a smooth trip around a block if we can get the sales guy to let us go up hills and drive at speed on a highway for even just a 1/4 mile. Feeling how it pitches left or right, brakes, accelerates and visibility. Oh, and rattles. Cheaper they sell for, often the more they rattle. And some of the drawer catch-systems are poor, such that drawers and doors might open when you make a turn. Things you would like to know before you plunk down big dollars. And don't get excited about Show Special prices. forget that. Do your homework; the Internet is your friend. Unfortunately there will be no history on the Irok but if your going to pay less than 30% of the MSRP, your already a great friend to the Sales guy, the Sales Manager, and the Finance Manager. (grin). Really... take your time and part with your money with the best decisions you make on your time, not theirs.

My wife and I have a 2018 TRAVATO 59K by the way. Love what WINNEBAGO engineeringed into the RAM ProMaster which has been flawless. I would recommend if you really do intend to tow something, and/or want to really go off road (rough areas) the FORD Transit or MERCEDES Sprinter chassis will be what you want. PM is excellent but suggest it is more for nicer surface use and while the front wheel drive system is outstanding, the chassis and powertrain together provides about 2,000 pounds max for towing. We don't tow anything; no awkward situations. No extra insurance and wear/tear costs. Can drive and almost park anywhere. We can unplug and go to town for dinner or whatever literally in a matter of minutes. No stress in our self contained Class B. We are having a ball!

Gene and Pam aka StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

19jun18b-
Brian / Jay,
I should add one more thing re your Class B searching. You should consider if you intend to use the bathroom or not. Ok there are different levels of defining the use. My wife and I make full use of ours as if we were home. We can, because it is the perspective of the confines of a van body, consider that our bathroom is HUGE versus pretty much any other arrangement. If you intend to use facilities at RV parks, Fitness places, restaurants, Walmart, etc. then the bathroom size onboard might not matter. Also your own personal height and width will come into play re having to be stooped over (your too tall) or other awkward positioning because the room is just too small.

13 to 18 gallon grey and black tanks (or a single grey/black of about same collective size) about the size you might see in these vans. Figure two people using the wet bath sort of like your at home means 2 days before dump required. Now that might stretch out to say, four days but don't count on it. A little kitchen use, a quick wet shower a day and some toilet use for both kinds and 13 to 18 gallon tanks fill fast.

One person traveling and making "full" use means more fresh and waste water time. Forget 3 people and full use. Besides, three people in a van will likely drive you crazy for other reasons, not to mention storage limits for goods. Depends on your lifestyle. Not our first rodeo since we used Class C's before. To big, hahaha. never again a propane type refrigerator. And a TRUMA COMBI is an amazing furnace and water heater. Takes a few uses to get the hang of how to use it best (kind of a crummy control panel provided...) and then you go WOW.

Seriously, we are in the groove with our Class B and can travel for a week and much longer just fine. Take only what you need and even then, probably can do with less. Vacations if that is what your doing to us, means minimize loading and unloading before and after the trip. Otherwise it's just more drudgery associated with the traveling. We have loads of fun and feel like we have skimped on very little to live nicely in our Class B. What things we have found that needed fixing, we simply have taken care of. More lighting around the excellent mirror in the Travato's bathroom for example; done. An actual storage tube UNDER the PM chassis for 10 or 15 foot waste hose, done. Just a couple of examples but mostly, our van based RV is pretty much the way it was when we drove away from the dealer.

StorysRVwego
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Hello!
Thanks for your help
Brian and Jaye
It's just a new one for me. But just now I have a look about it, following are some photos about it.

Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Hello!
Thanks for your help
Brian and Jaye
Forgive my ignorance, some RV dealers I've not heard before. I just have one question: what kind of battery do they use right now? Because I have heard that the government has already advised the users to use the LiFePO4 batteries for the safety consideration.
outstanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:23 AM   #11
Platinum Member

A lot of love here for Promaster-based b's, and especially for Travato's. Good to hear a gas engine model doing well.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irok reviews