Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #161
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 140
Default

We have a thin cushioned mat that can be rolled up and removed when showering. Easy to clean too.
6BF15FA6-3BDD-4955-9388-1307C2DC6939.jpeg
__________________

AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #162
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

My next project was a mirror. I had a nearly full length glass mirror in Alvar which I liked but I failed to mention a desire for this. So we got a tiny mirror in the bathroom vanity. That proved to be inadequate for my wife especially. So I bought a lightweight acrylic mirror with a self-adhesive backing to install on the outside of the bathroom door. I could install one yet on the bathroom side. They weigh practically nothing. This one is 12" wide x 17" high.

Acrylic mirrors can have distortion know as a fun house mirror. This one had a minor distortion compared to a glass mirror but not so much to notice. I did keep it to a minimum and not full length because of this factor. I purchased it off Amazon. The edges were not sharp and it had rounded corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Acrylic Mirror 12%22 x 17%22.jpeg (91.0 KB, 20 views)
__________________

__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:19 AM   #163
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 809
Default

The plastic camping mirror is the best mirror I’ve ever had. It widens my horse face, removes my wrinkles, and gives me big almond eyes.
__________________
2014 Promaster 136" Self-Build

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:33 PM   #164
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

ARV has posted a video describing Mies (our van) in more detail this week. You can see it here on YouTube or on their Facebook page.

__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:56 PM   #165
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 975
Default

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this.
GallenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:44 AM   #166
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,893
Default

Do you have air furnace and water heater of any kind or hydronic system?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:16 PM   #167
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Do you have air furnace and water heater of any kind or hydronic system?
It is a Rixen Espar diesel fired heat and hot water system. Hot glycol heats the water (continuous, not a 6 gallon tank) and it is a forced air system for heat. The diesel fired module is under the driver's side seat under the van. Diesel use is about a cup per hour as I remember. Cooking is all electric. Van has no propane.

Heat for batteries is an electrical plate under the batteries and electrical heating pads for the black and grey tanks. I'm not sure about the water. My previous ARV van had a horizontal grooved line where waste glycol heat passes at 160 degrees. It's all insulated so I can't tell. Winter is no problem.

I could have had 864ah (6 batteries) under my bed but opted for 576ah (4 batteries) based on experience from my previous van of 800ah in favor of the two drawers demonstrated in the video. More than enough considering I could recharge a days use in under an hour with the second alternator, idling or driving, and batteries would last at least or more than 3 days parked with all that electrical use.

Design was predicated with the need of narrow wheel wells in the rear mainly under the bathroom vanity and battery space under the bed. The video said super singles at the time but it is just a true 2500 with all four wheels the same. That is why all the weight considerations. We achieved that. ARV had a challenge to build this van as it is totally custom from anything they've done before.
__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:45 PM   #168
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It is a Rixen Espar diesel fired heat and hot water system. Hot glycol heats the water (continuous, not a 6 gallon tank) and it is a forced air system for heat. The diesel fired module is under the driver's side seat under the van. Diesel use is about a cup per hour as I remember. Cooking is all electric. Van has no propane.

Heat for batteries is an electrical plate under the batteries and electrical heating pads for the black and grey tanks. I'm not sure about the water. My previous ARV van had a horizontal grooved line where waste glycol heat passes at 160 degrees. It's all insulated so I can't tell. Winter is no problem.

I could have had 864ah (6 batteries) under my bed but opted for 576ah (4 batteries) based on experience from my previous van of 800ah in favor of the two drawers demonstrated in the video. More than enough considering I could recharge a days use in under an hour with the second alternator, idling or driving, and batteries would last at least or more than 3 days parked with all that electrical use.

Design was predicated with the need of narrow wheel wells in the rear mainly under the bathroom vanity and battery space under the bed. The video said super singles at the time but it is just a true 2500 with all four wheels the same. That is why all the weight considerations. We achieved that. ARV had a challenge to build this van as it is totally custom from anything they've done before.
Thank for the info, fellow on ARV video described “furnace” location under passenger seat. Furnace usually means heater with combustion as a heat source.

Did Rixen folks upgrade their heat exchanger blower to fully variable RPM proportional to temperature delta?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:28 PM   #169
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It is a Rixen Espar diesel fired heat and hot water system. Hot glycol heats the water (continuous, not a 6 gallon tank) and it is a forced air system for heat. The diesel fired module is under the driver's side seat under the van. Diesel use is about a cup per hour as I remember. Cooking is all electric. Van has no propane.

Heat for batteries is an electrical plate under the batteries and electrical heating pads for the black and grey tanks. I'm not sure about the water. My previous ARV van had a horizontal grooved line where waste glycol heat passes at 160 degrees. It's all insulated so I can't tell. Winter is no problem.

I could have had 864ah (6 batteries) under my bed but opted for 576ah (4 batteries) based on experience from my previous van of 800ah in favor of the two drawers demonstrated in the video. More than enough considering I could recharge a days use in under an hour with the second alternator, idling or driving, and batteries would last at least or more than 3 days parked with all that electrical use.

Design was predicated with the need of narrow wheel wells in the rear mainly under the bathroom vanity and battery space under the bed. The video said super singles at the time but it is just a true 2500 with all four wheels the same. That is why all the weight considerations. We achieved that. ARV had a challenge to build this van as it is totally custom from anything they've done before.
I too enjoyed the ARV video.

Can you tell me more about the electrical heat plate under the batteries as opposed to the heating pads under the grey/black tanks?

I have no heaters on my lithium batteries (except ambient inside air) and they sometimes don’t charge until they reach the required low temp as determined by the BMS. I have pondered whether to add some sort of additional heater but it hasn’t been a problem waiting for the batteries to warm to date. I too also have about 3 days of battery before I really need to recharge and the batteries are warm enough to recharge if the heater has been on for a couple of hours.
__________________
Ken
_____________________________________________
2021 Ford Transit AWD ‘Iron Horse’
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:44 PM   #170
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Thank for the info, fellow on ARV video described “furnace” location under passenger seat. Furnace usually means heater with combustion as a heat source.

Did Rixen folks upgrade their heat exchanger blower to fully variable RPM proportional to temperature delta?
It is located under the driver's seat in my former ARV and this one. Damned if I know about variable RPMs. I only know it stops blowing when the set temperature is reached. It also can heat on house batteries or diesel and hot water is separate from the heater which will not be needed in most seasons.
__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:05 PM   #171
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It is located under the driver's seat in my former ARV and this one. Damned if I know about variable RPMs. I only know it stops blowing when the set temperature is reached. It also can heat on house batteries or diesel and hot water is separate from the heater which will not be needed in most seasons.
Thanks. If you can hear it turning on/off it is likely the same blower which I evaluated in 2013 and decided to go with a very quiet Airtronics.
I am looking forward to see Avanti's is solution to the Rixen’s noisy blower, two speed manual or better.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:38 PM   #172
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I am looking forward to see Avanti's is solution to the Rixen’s noisy blower, two speed manual or better.
Here is an interesting podcast featuring Jim Rixen talking about his new system:



He really plays up how quiet various components supposedly are. He says that the S3 furnace has a continuously-variable fan. He also claims that they had a custom fan air-box designed with quiet as the goal--including a variable-speed fan. Their fancy controller has five speeds, but I assume that it is PWM and the 5-speed thing is just a UI decision. Probably adequate. He also says that he has a custom-designed nearly-silent 2-speed glycol pump (my upfitter said the same thing when we were debating whether to put the pump inside or outside).

I am looking forward to exploring the best way to interface this system with Home Assistant. @Davydd: Can you control your furnace via the Silverleaf system? If so, do you have any idea how ARV accomplished this? The controller talks to the furnace via CANbus, and also has WiFi to a phone app. My assumption is that I will hack the CANbus--can't be very hard, but we'll see.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
Next: 2022 Fully-custom buildout (Ford Transit EcoBoost AWD)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:33 AM   #173
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Here is an interesting podcast featuring Jim Rixen talking about his new system:
He really plays up how quiet various components supposedly are. He says that the S3 furnace has a continuously-variable fan. He also claims that they had a custom fan air-box designed with quiet as the goal--including a variable-speed fan. Their fancy controller has five speeds, but I assume that it is PWM and the 5-speed thing is just a UI decision. Probably adequate. He also says that he has a custom-designed nearly-silent 2-speed glycol pump (my upfitter said the same thing when we were debating whether to put the pump inside or outside).
I am looking forward to exploring the best way to interface this system with Home Assistant.
Great video, I didn’t know that S3 has variable speed. Does Rixen provides a thermostat which controls blower fan speed based on the delta T?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:33 AM   #174
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

Yes, it is all controlled via the Silverleaf. Keep in mind my van was built in early 2021 and finished in May so if Rixen has developed anything since then I don’t have it. I have a Silverleaf app on my iPhone but never use it. Silverleaf is a touch screen always on and available in a handy area. Lights are controlled by multiplex touch buttons just about everywhere about the van including the beds. The multiplex pad in the bathroom can turn the water pump on and off as well as the Silverleaf. No getting caught on the marine upflow toilet with the water pump off.
__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #175
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Does Rixen provides a thermostat which controls blower fan speed based on the delta T?
They seem to have at least two different thermostat/controller units. This is what I am getting:

Untitled 5.png

It has variable fan speed, but I don't think it is proportional to demand temperature. Not sure, though. If it doesn't, I expect to be able to add it easily enough.

I am curious how ARV's Silverleaf control interfaces with the furnace. Do they interface to this controller and hide it away somewhere? Or do they control the furnace directly via CANbus?
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
Next: 2022 Fully-custom buildout (Ford Transit EcoBoost AWD)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #176
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
They seem to have at least two different thermostat/controller units. This is what I am getting:

Attachment 13471

It has variable fan speed, but I don't think it is proportional to demand temperature. Not sure, though. If it doesn't, I expect to be able to add it easily enough.

I am curious how ARV's Silverleaf control interfaces with the furnace. Do they interface to this controller and hide it away somewhere? Or do they control the furnace directly via CANbus?
I assume there are two control loops necessary:

1. On/off for S3, I use EasyStart Timer via CANbus to control my D5. D5 internal control keeps temperatures oscillating between 160-180F with high and low output, S3 is likely different with variable speed.

2. Heater blower control by room thermostat with (hopefully) variable RPM.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:33 PM   #177
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I am curious how ARV's Silverleaf control interfaces with the furnace. Do they interface to this controller and hide it away somewhere? Or do they control the furnace directly via CANbus?
You would have to ask ARV as I don't know. They are transparent as to what they do. I know there is a cabinet full of modules behind the Silverleaf. In fact at the ARV fest in 2015 they had a display as to what those are on a board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9265.jpg (208.3 KB, 16 views)
__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:30 PM   #178
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,760
Default

I got some answers about the Rixen-Espar diesel heating system. I went out and took a photo of the Silverleaf Climate screen. Heat and hot water can be turned on separately or together. There is a burner (diesel fired) or shore electrical option. You can set the desired temperature you want and the fan blows until reached. So the fan goes on and off. There is an automatic setting for the fan and a high or low setting. This is a photo when turned off. The handles on the touch screen buttons will change color to indicate the mold its. The garage is set at 55 degrees and the numbers reflect that. This can all be set on an iPhone RVC Air app.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3246 (1).jpeg (329.1 KB, 6 views)
__________________

__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×