Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 01:53 AM   #1

Default MPG for 2002 Pleasure Way Excel vs Lexor

Hi Forum,

I am considering to buy a used Pleasure Way (1999-2003) and I'm wondering whether the (not widebody) Lexor would have a significantly better mpg than the (widebody) Excel. I would assume that the 3 inch bulge that the Excel has on both sides makes creates quite an aerodynamic drag that the Lexor does not have - but I actually don't know whether that is really the case.

Does anybody here have any experience with these two body types and their respective mpg's? Thanks!

resucami
resucami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have seen claims of 12-18 mpg on both body types. I presume the wide body difference does not have as much to do with mileage as your gross weight, how loaded up you are, and if you are pulling anything.

By the way WELCOME. Lots of good information here.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi resucami,

I have only been inside those 2 B's, but after 12+ years on B forums I can comment.

Yes, the Excel will not have the fuel mileage of the Lexor - if the Lexor is getting 15 mph, my guess is 13 with the Lexor. Two factors, Yes the Excel has to push through more air and the energy to do that is the square of the speed. Second, one is the Chevrolet and the other one is not.

Weight on flat ground makes almost no difference at 70 mph as the B is still the same size. But it makes a Real difference when overcoming the inertia (accelerating the weight) and overcoming gravity, hills and mountains.

Additionally, some of the Excel's had handling problems vs the Lexor.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Yes, the Excel will not have the fuel mileage of the Lexor - if the Lexor is getting 15 mpg, my guess is 13 with the Lexor. Two factors, Yes the Excel has to push through more air and the energy to do that is the square of the speed.
That's kind of what I assumed although I thought the difference might be even bigger.

Quote:
Second, one is the Chevrolet and the other one is not.
I'm looking at the moment at one 2001 Excel and one 2002 Lexor. Both are based on the Dodge RAM 3500 and have the same engine. All Pleasure Way vans from around that time were based on the Dodge (unlike Roadtrek who used Dodge for the 170 and 190 and Chevrolet for the 200 and 210).

However, in general, which one of the two is "better?"

Quote:
Additionally, some of the Excel's had handling problems vs the Lexor.
That is another question of mine, whether these handling problems that I am reading about in many places are mainly (or only) happening on the widebody (Pleasure Way Excel and also Leisure Travel) vans or in the same way also on the (not widebody) Pleasure Way Lexor. These problems seem to be quite severe for many owners.

Greetings - resucami
resucami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Sorry resucami, I was somehow thinking Ford vs Chevrolet, not dodge vs dodge.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote