Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGroundhogDay View Post
Hello everyone, new forum member here. I'm the person Hymer is trying to Market the V1 to as a 39yr old. At this point it is a tough sell after watching the video posted above, and here is that Youtuber's second V1 review:

I can see a lot of the slightly used Travatos and RoadTreks competing for my dollars, as well as I can see myself also going to route of purchasing a Pro Master and having a custom, high quality conversion done:
Blue Ridge Adventure Vehicles |

Lots of choices!
While in the Camping World store to satisfy my curiosity of the low cost Hymer’s entry to NA I glanced into the Sunlight V1, wow, did not expect this disastrous fit and finish. Based on my own short visit to Camping World and posted videos I think that Sportsmobile will provide a better product. I was fortunate to have resources to do my own.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Ok thanks; will do. I will post whatever I find out which might be a day or two, depending on fast I get a response if any.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #103

I picked up a Sunlight brochure last week at Roadtrek/Hymer when I took the factory tour.

Attached is the Sunlight brochure.

After much consideration, and help from you guys, we decided to go with an SS Agile over the short ProMasters and the Pleasure Way Ascent.

We like the driving manners of the Sprinter over the Promaster; and we're able to get some customization to our Agile to further meet our needs and get that customization in a timely fashion (by August).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HymerSunlight003.pdf (547.1 KB, 52 views)
femike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #104
Platinum Member

First, a thanks to femike99 for posting a copy of the brochure. I just glanced at it so far but looks like it has specs. Re the quality George; I have looked at two Hymer Activ's and compared to other new brand & models I have looked at, there were a higher number of quality control issues. RV's of any size are a mix of many brands of products put in them and I can just imagine the fits the RV assemblers go through. And then the dealer makes a run at prepping for show & sale. And then all the prospects that walk through, pulling and pushing on things. Averaging everything out, it still looked to me like a bit higher number of issues in the Hymer's.

The last I knew, Hymer was still trying to move into their intended assembly building instead of sharing space (and time) in the existing Roadtrek building(s). Toss in some new things for the existing assemblers & QA persons to learn about the Hymers and it could easily put a ding in QA process. But of course we prospective buyers expect best efforts to be completed before we open the doors of these RV's.

Given what sort of travel service my wife and I want from a Class B and weighing all the pros and cons of many brands and models - we are excited to expect completing the purchase of a Travato 59K later this year. The door is still open to considering other solutions, hence why I am checking out this new model from Hymer/Camping World as well as the Hymer Activ and a few others. But we are pretty certain now what we want and including specific options.

Thanks for the input (and brochure) from everyone.

Gene
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #105
Platinum Member

Thanks femike for posting the brochure. Looking at the photos enclosed, all that comes with it....could draw folks in, then? I read all the adverse comments on the fit and finish, etc....now I see how RT has damaged themselves with the sell-out to Hymer. Ron
Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #106

I too looked at the Aktiv and multiple Sunlights before the SS Agile purchase.

The Sunlight visual quality was iffy (which leaves one to wonder if their water and gas systems are any good and safe) - very similar to the video.

Unfortunately, the Aktiv quality was similarly not great. I really like the layout of both vehicles with their "flow through" and open design which seem to yield a feeling of more space than the SS Agile.

But, in my tour last week, I saw noticeably better quality in the units that were in the current production line. Having worked on a shop floor in my life, I understand that quality is learned when building a product like this (which is why there are some things that are risky to buy as an early generation item).

The Aktiv that I looked at just sold at the dealer this week (after 8 weeks on the lot). My guess is that by August, when the 2018's are starting to roll out, CW dealers will be giving away the Sunlights. Even with their quality problems, if you're handy, patient, and can overlook visual issues (things that don't describe me), they are a good deal - great chassis (ProMaster) and a Class B for, my guess, $50k by late July.
femike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #107
Platinum Member

After reading about Camping World handling these...I wonder what profit they reap? Can you imagine calling them for "their great service" under the warranty! Ron
Old 06-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
I read all the adverse comments on the fit and finish, etc....now I see how RT has damaged themselves with the sell-out to Hymer. Ron
I would say that RT damaged their own reputations with the huge decline in quality control under the ownership of the investment company where the rule was "get 'em out quick... it's quantity, not quality."

Hymer has a good reputation overseas, so hopefully they will get their new staff trained and allowed to do it right.

But, the Sunlight rather makes that hope seem further down the road.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #109
BBQ
Platinum Member

Hymer is adding 2 factory facilities near the existing RT factory.
They are scheduled to go on line later this year.

I bet Hymer is implementing their own manufacturing methodology in the new facility.
It is difficult to change the old culture, it is easier to build a new production line and train new staff to do the work their way. The old RT production line might eventually get retired/superceded.

I can see the quality of Hymer/RT products will be very different come next year.
At the meantime, until the new factories go on line, there is not much they can do.
But don't give up hope. The best is yet to come.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #110
Platinum Member

Like BBQ, I'm still optimistic the future brings better units. I was thinking something like two years down the road.

I kind of like the floor plan being discussed in this topic. For me it would be a basic day trip / over-nighter type RV. I'd need it on a short Ford Transit chassis though and with the ability to tow 6000 lbs.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #111
Platinum Member

It's probably going to take far longer than a couple of years. Isn't Hymer using the new factory for trailers and possibly small Cs? The Roadtrek crew might be making all of the Bs for a long time to come.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:53 AM   #112

This low-priced unit is being sold by RT dealers in Ontario Canada as a Hymer Carado Banff model. List price C$88K. The pictures on one dealers website look like it might be assembled a bit "tighter" than the CW units - maybe they're learning.
Billyboy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Eventually View Post
It's probably going to take far longer than a couple of years. Isn't Hymer using the new factory for trailers and possibly small Cs? The Roadtrek crew might be making all of the Bs for a long time to come.
A RT person told me that the new factory is going to allow them to ramp up production of the B's (because of the demand for the Activ). So that suggests that there will be a new B production line in one of the new facilities.

Hopefully that will include some retraining, but I also see a need for a change of attitude in management. When you have a CEO who brags on Facebook that it only take a few hours to pop out a Sunlight, the PR is deadly. While top management might like that idea, what purchaser wants to know (or buy) something produced in such a way.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 06-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #114
Platinum Member

I came across some videos of the Sunlight.

It has a 23.1 (from the specs online) gallon combined black/gray tank... but the pipe placement is so low to the ground, a good bump has a good chance of trashing things.

The video also showed the construction. To me, it is just at that border of "Yeah, I can throw some time/cash to fix up some of the shelving/folding door issues" to "why not just spend the $15k more and buy a Travato 59K?" I have seen a lot of van upfits, and so far, the level of fit/finish in the Sunlight seemed even worse than my entry level travel trailer.

I liked the price, the fact that the combined black/gray tank has a decent capacity, and it has the basic engine generator mechanism for running an A/C. However, it may take more time to fix and clean up all the rough edges than one saves by buying it.

I may go by CW and take a look at one, but maybe after August.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #115

Regarding the videos this one guy posted online about the Sunlight issues - I own one and have camped numerous times now and driven nearly 1,000 miles with it.

- Does it have some build quality issues? Yes - They are annoying. However does the van operate as it should? Yes.
- I put new 40lb magnet door latches on a few of the cabinets and doors. Problem fixed.
- I bought some adhesive and reclamped my shower enclosure to the wall. Problem fixed.

The van is fantastic and is a pleasure to drive and camp in. I love it. I get a lot of people coming over to ask about it. Looks sharp. The lithium power and ability to run everything off of it is fantastic. It has plenty of water capacity, great water heater that's fast heat up, killer interior lighting, great privacy shades, electric fridge works for long hours on battery power no problem and is ice cold, the list goes on and on.

Oh and hitting the rear discharge tubing? I've driven over many different angles and obstacles and it did not hit. The van suspension doesn't allow much travel so it's not an issue. Also it's a simple ABS pipe with some rubber boots and clamps. Even if you broke it, the fix is pretty straight forward. Not a big deal.

Remember the Travato does not come with Lithium power. That's a huge deal once you've tried running all night with no need for generator. I would never buy an RV again with a gas generator.
dev13steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev13steph View Post
................Also it's a simple ABS pipe with some rubber boots and clamps. Even if you broke it, the fix is pretty straight forward. Not a big deal.
Indeed, fix is easy but liability in case failure could be high, spilling black water could need some expensive clean-up.

No van is perfect, I had many issues with my previous Bigfoot RVs considered to be better than average. But, as you mentioned, these issues can be fixed.
I don’t think it would take a rocket scientist to move the drain pipe up or eliminate it by having a permanent macerator pump for discharge. The low ground clearance on the video didn’t look good, but the good news is that it is fixable, unfortunately on a new camper.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #117
Platinum Member

I noted that on the new Carado Avion (same cheaper line as the Sunlight), it does come with a macerator, so perhaps they will eventually change that in the Sunlight.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I noted that on the new Carado Avion (same cheaper line as the Sunlight), it does come with a macerator, so perhaps they will eventually change that in the Sunlight.
According to the Sunlight Van One brochure, it does have a macerator.
"Sewage disposal system – 12 V macerating toilet and gravity dump"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sunlight-VanOne Brochure.pdf (1.58 MB, 35 views)
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I came across some videos of the Sunlight.

... but the pipe placement is so low to the ground, a good bump has a good chance of trashing things.
The drain pipe in the video review from VocalVirgo is installed incorrectly or something happened to it...
Look carefully and you'll see that it is hanging lower on the passenger side than the drivers side (discharge side)...which is not how it is on any other Van One that I've seen...
So while the design doesn't have great clearance, what you're seeing in the video doesn't represent how it actually is.
See the photo - the pipe is tucked up much higher on the passenger side than the unit in the video.
My guess is in practical use it isn't going to be an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunlight Van One.jpg (67.3 KB, 31 views)
ChrisFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #120
Platinum Member

Hopefully dev13 will come back on and tell us if he has a macerator.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme