Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Default New Roadtrek CS xl owner

We have owned our CS Roadtrek for about 2 months. Been on the road for about a month. We are amazed at its capabilities. We have 3 Ecotrek systems including the Volt start, the Alde system both electric and diesel, we are all electric, including the induction cooktop.

Everything has functioned phenomenally. Roadtreks people when we have called to get clarification on some items have been great getting back to us.

We have owned 7 other RV's from Class A's on down and this one performs beyond our greatest expectations. The one downsize is the bath area. Some what limited of course but manageable. The black storage capacity could use upgrading to a large amount but again manageable. Of course the sensors on the tanks usually do not show accurate but the system is ok.

Love Roadtrek and the CS. Amazing vehicle!!!

Would love to hear more from other CS owners. Thanks for all the info on this forum.
mackcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats on the new RV, along with great interface with RT Folks. It is super to hear when you go with a new one and it all comes together and you are totally satisfied. Smooth travel await! Ron
Old 08-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

I am considering the Roadtrek CS Adventurous and my main question is about the all electric vs propane. Does all electric have enough storage, and I have been told it's hard to get Roadtreks worked on by other than Roadtrek dealers? Many thanks, Rob
rob_mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcs View Post
We have owned our CS Roadtrek for about 2 months. Been on the road for about a month. We are amazed at its capabilities. We have 3 Ecotrek systems including the Volt start, the Alde system both electric and diesel, we are all electric, including the induction cooktop.

Everything has functioned phenomenally. Roadtreks people when we have called to get clarification on some items have been great getting back to us.

We have owned 7 other RV's from Class A's on down and this one performs beyond our greatest expectations. The one downsize is the bath area. Some what limited of course but manageable. The black storage capacity could use upgrading to a large amount but again manageable. Of course the sensors on the tanks usually do not show accurate but the system is ok.

Would love to hear more from other CS owners. Thanks for all the info on this forum.

Sounds like a shrill to me.

New member. First and only post. Big on praise, but short on detail.
No pix.
Disappears after the first and only post.

Oh yea, I was born yesterday.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Sounds like a shrill to me.

New member. First and only post. Big on praise, but short on detail.
No pix.
Disappears after the first and only post.

Oh yea, I was born yesterday.

You are probably right. But in defense of the RT CS, my neighbors have had one since 2012 and LOVE it. In fact, their enthusiasm was what led us to venture into the B-Class world. I don't think they have the fancy electronics, though...
Old 08-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mtns View Post
I am considering the Roadtrek CS Adventurous and my main question is about the all electric vs propane. Does all electric have enough storage, and I have been told it's hard to get Roadtreks worked on by other than Roadtrek dealers? Many thanks, Rob
I have an all-electric 800ah lithium ion battery setup and no propane whatsoever. Hot water and heat is from a diesel-fired Espar system. If you have a compressor refrigerator as I have and the Roadtrek the same then propane is not needed. That leaves some sort of cooktop and the electric induction cooktop give instant heat and infinite adjustable heat similar to gas. The fitRV has a video demonstrating induction boils water faster than gas. Thus, no need for propane in any instance. We never run out of electricity and we don't use shore power. Cooking, making Keurig coffee, microwaving uses far less electricity than imagined. Maybe the Convection oven in baking over a period of time is is an electrical hog but we seldom use that mode. The Roadtrek's use a second alternator and not an Onan propane fired generator. Scratch another reason for propane. Basically it comes down for me is an induction cooktop vs a gas cooktop and as far as I am concerned induction wins especially if you factor in an expensive built in propane system.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Unless you need to have air conditioning and can't/don't want to have the van running all the time, which may cause damage to the MB diesel engines.

At that point you need a generator, whether it runs on gas, diesel, or propane, IMO.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

Sorry BBQ (you called us a shrill), you are not a believer of my post. We are just not big on the social media stuff. But we really like our CS. Had it the Mercedes shop twice since. Replaced the EGR valve (emissions stuff) and had the running lights reconfigured. Other than that the CS Adventurous has been great. We will take it in to a Roadtrek dealer and have some noise things checked out as there appears some insulation rubbing together creating noise in the cabin area that can be annoying.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #9

We have 7 solar panels of varying size on the roof. At this point we have never lacked for storage and the engine generator system is an easy fix for more power. Our rig is fit with two solar charge controllers as well. As far as finding shops to work on them I have not had any problem because we have not had any issues with ours. I did replace the safe T alarm that alarms for propane (which we do not have) and Carbon Monoxide and smoke. Other than that nothing. Did take it to Mercedes to replace the EGR valve (emissions) and reconfigured the running lights.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry BBQ (you called us a shrill), you are not a believer of my post. We are just not big on the social media stuff. But we really like our CS. Had it the Mercedes shop twice since. Replaced the EGR valve (emissions stuff) and had the running lights reconfigured. Other than that the CS Adventurous has been great. We will take it in to a Roadtrek dealer and have some noise things checked out as there appears some insulation rubbing together creating noise in the cabin area that can be annoying.

You sound like a shrill to me. My opinion has not changed.

Nobody new comes to a forum to heap praises on a product,
then disappears. I gave you ample time before making my post.

This is a community; people come here to talk, share, ask questions, swap travel stories, post photos. You have failed on all counts, that's why I have my suspicion.

I am not saying you are a shrill.
I did not say you are a shrill.
Those allegations need to be verified. I have not.
I said you sound like a shrill.
There is a difference.

ps. RT have not sold many all-electric CS XL. It is not that difficult to establish your authenticity. If you are genuine, may I offer my heartfelt welcome. Looking forward to seeing your travel photos and mods.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
Site Team

[Speaking in my role as Moderator:]

This conversation is drifting perilously close to the ad hominem. Please be careful and remain civil. Calling out a suspicious post is in-bounds, but please keep comments about the content, not the person. We should be welcoming to new members and cut some slack when necessary.

[Speaking for myself:]
Although i agree that the original post had some smell of suspicion, many first posts have that character. It is not unreasonable for a member to lurk for awhile, make a purchase, and then comment upon it. Note that OPs join date was Dec 2016.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #12

Excellent information and much appreciated
Rob
rob_mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:

i thought ecotrek was only 400,800,1600. your saying you have a 1200?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Sprinter EGR replacement within 2 months is rather early in a Sprinter life, usually, it takes some time to get that failure, granted it is common but 2 months. Did MB mechanics had some specific questions how you operated the van or had an explanation?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't pay much attention to a post that confuses shrill with shill.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I wouldn't pay much attention to a post that confuses shrill with shill.
Yes, I've been chuckling about that error... except that it was repeated by a few posters.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #17

No the MB did not make any comments about it being to soon to have a replacement but just said it was in the low range of operation so they replaced it. Noticed by the check engine light coming on. Seems fine now.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #18
Platinum Member

My CS ETrek has functioned without significant issues since delivery in July 2014. We're just back from a few days boondocked in the desert of Central Oregon to catch the Eclipse. The rig has never been back to the dealer.

Mine has propane, and though my Alde is propane fired, there are diesel alternatives for that also. The cooktop is the only thing I use LP for, and to me it is not a big deal whether you cook with LP or with induction. You'll enjoy the rig either way.

I'm finding I hardly ever use the air conditioning. Even this time, when it was 95, we just lived out in the shadow of the van and used the fans inside. I planned to cool the rig with a/c at night but it wasn't needed.
The only limits I've found in usefulness were that the reefer couldn't keep up with the 95 degree days. I should have turned the van the other way in the afternoon.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
My CS ETrek has functioned without significant issues since delivery in July 2014. We're just back from a few days boondocked in the desert of Central Oregon to catch the Eclipse. The rig has never been back to the dealer.

Mine has propane, and though my Alde is propane fired, there are diesel alternatives for that also. The cooktop is the only thing I use LP for, and to me it is not a big deal whether you cook with LP or with induction. You'll enjoy the rig either way.

I'm finding I hardly ever use the air conditioning. Even this time, when it was 95, we just lived out in the shadow of the van and used the fans inside. I planned to cool the rig with a/c at night but it wasn't needed.
The only limits I've found in usefulness were that the reefer couldn't keep up with the 95 degree days. I should have turned the van the other way in the afternoon.
Do you mean you have "eco-trek" lithium batteries?

eTrek is the all-electric version of RT.
ie no propane, and induction cooktop instead of the usual LP cooktop.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #20
Platinum Member

No, BBQ:
I have a CS with E-Trek option. 8 AGM's ("EcoTrek" lithiums came later), solar topup, engine generator, propane cooktop rather than induction. Those were selectable at the time.
I spec'd it that way, and I'm happy with the choices. The lithiums and their associated electronics are more complex than I like.

Actually this discussion points up the biggest issue with RT: in their effort to be cutting edge tech-wise, they changed what they considered "cutting edge" frequently. Well, how is some dealer who handles mostly Winnie and other mainstream lines supposed to keep up with the latest RT machinery?