Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
jls
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJake1 View Post
Yeah I understand the wiring on some of the lithium batteries was not correct and needed changed as late as the 2019 models. I've been assured that was corrected for all recent models. Our dealer is a major Roadtrek partner so I tend to believe it.
i too heard the "quality is up" and "everything is fixed for recent models" sentiment, and i more than anyone wish it were true but unfortunately that has not been my experience. mine is a 2020 and had wiring issues with both 2nd alternator and solar panel controller. who knows what else is still lurking! i'm still working through it...
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:43 AM   #22
Platinum Member

The thing is that most, if not all, of the 2020 models were the ones on the line that were started by the previous company - in various stages of completion. When Rapido came, they completed the units. They didn't tear them down and re-build. So some of them have the same old issues. (my 2019 had only one issue... a recalled UHG... that was fixed by Nations Starter)

The jury is still out on the 2021 units which are the first totally built by the new company.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls View Post
i too heard the "quality is up" and "everything is fixed for recent models" sentiment, and i more than anyone wish it were true but unfortunately that has not been my experience. mine is a 2020 and had wiring issues with both 2nd alternator and solar panel controller. who knows what else is still lurking! i'm still working through it...
Don't like hearing this but I appreciate the info. We pick ours up on Thursday. What were your 'symptoms'? Maybe I can check for issues before driving off the lot. Thanks.
RJake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #24
jls
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
The thing is that most, if not all, of the 2020 models were the ones on the line that were started by the previous company - in various stages of completion. When Rapido came, they completed the units. They didn't tear them down and re-build. So some of them have the same old issues. (my 2019 had only one issue... a recalled UHG... that was fixed by Nations Starter)

The jury is still out on the 2021 units which are the first totally built by the new company.

There is simply no excuse for RT to not check their work before shipping their product. And since there was a known history of wiring issues, it seems even more prudent. (especially since it's an electrical issue on a RV carrying propane and gasoline!)

Instead they delivered the vehicle with a blank inspection sheet, giving me zero confidence in any of the systems.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:15 AM   #25
jls
Bronze Member

Quote:
Don't like hearing this but I appreciate the info. We pick ours up on Thursday. What were your 'symptoms'? Maybe I can check for issues before driving off the lot. Thanks.
if you can access the underhood generator (2nd alternator) when the coach batteries are on and the vehicle is off, it should not be hot, nor making any noise. in addition, I would suggest testing everything you can -- as in every, single, little, thing. personally move every knob, open and close every latch, test rear speakers and the 5.1 (speaker locatons properly wired?) and the OFF setting, cool the fridge, heat the heat, open and close the awning and inspect it well, test the smoke alarm, CO alarm, etc, etc. i mean anything that has a function... make sure it functions and does it correctly. don't just let the sales person show you... actually do it yourself. check caps, covers, remotes, and by all means turn on the TV and bring a DVD to test it all out. make sure all the tank indicator lights work. run the shower for while... does it get hot, stay hot, does it actually drain? sink too? toilet flush. pull the black and grey tank drains. run the macerator. check both burners... does it light easily and stay on, and what color is the flame? look in all the compartments you can open and check for loose or dangling wires and other odd things. move the curtains and shades on the tracks, setup the bug screens. etc. look for nicks, scratches, loose screws, and smooth surfaces that have been patched or maybe not, with holes poked through. are the inspection checklists filled out? the warranty card too? are there manuals for the vehicle, appliances and RT too?

yes, the salespeople may hate you and you might get Covid in the time it takes to do all this, but it could just save you a lot of time and frustration later troubleshooting, running around trying to get stuff fixed, reimbursed, etc. if there are a lot of issues, are you willing to come back later after they are fixed, or is the dealer hours away from where you live? consider being prepared to walkaway if it doesn't meet your expectations. chances are everything will be fine but due diligence is more than appropriate for this purchase.

and, one last thing, when they send you on your way, double check that they closed the propane valve (and BBQ tap). ours was not!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #26

Wow. Lots to do. Thanks for the great advice. Rig will be winterized so testing the shower and hot water is probably out but I will try to hit everything else. Bringing a DVD is something I would never have thought of. Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
Platinum Member

The fridge will get cold, but it is very likely that it will not cycle off. About 95% of these were sent out from Norcold with the thermostat miswired. It is an easy fix... just take the cover off and move the wires. If you join the Zion/Simplicity facebook page, it has photos and instructions in the files section. I discussed this with the new company and they have now added it to their final checklist.

(and... BTW... I've had RVs for 15 years and never turned the propane off. All 4 were delivered with it on. Not to mention the idiot lights for the tanks have pretty much never worked in any of my 4 rigs. They will work at the dealer when they've never been used, but will probably never read correctly again. Except for the fresh water LOL)

As to the wiring issues, most tend to appear with use... not through a normal inspection. Most of the dealers don't know or understand how they should be in the first place and are generally useless. Welcome to RV life...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #28

Picked up the new rig. So far all looks good. Fridge is working well. Already some things I really like and some things I don't care for but that's with every RV. I will continue with inspection and testing this weekend. Could only do so much at dealership. I'm sure I'll have some questions. Ordered a bunch of small accessories today (storage nets, paper towel rack, etc.). Spent nearly $300 on little things. It sure adds up! Appreciate all the advice so far. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #29
jls
Bronze Member

yep! lots of little extras you will need (and want). $20 here, $20 there, and there and there... the extra expenses started slowing down in our 2nd month but one does need to budget for this stuff when thinking about the vehicle purchase cost.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #30

Question 1: Where do RoadTrekkers store the big case holding the tire jack? It came packed in the large drawer under fridge but I need that for other things. My wife says leave it home. We'll just call roadside service if we have a flat. Not sure that's a good option.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Question 1: Where do RoadTrekkers store the big case holding the tire jack? It came packed in the large drawer under fridge but I need that for other things. My wife says leave it home. We'll just call roadside service if we have a flat. Not sure that's a good option.
I pulled out the tool needed to lower the spare - which is under the rear on mine. And the rest of it is in storage. I have roadside assistance and I'm assuming that they likely have better equipment with them. Or they can truck me to someone who does. LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #32

A couple more RT questions:
1. How do I open the exterior panel to access sewage/macerator? It seems stuck. There must be a trick to it.
2. On the roof there is a white wire/cable running from the air conditioner to the power awning. Its laying open on the roof although it is connected to awning and runs inside the a/c. Should it be laying open like that? Should I duct tape it down or do anything else to it?
3. I read about crossed wires in some fridges. How do I know if mine is OK?

That's it for now. Thanks to everyone for your help!!
Old 10-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I pulled out the tool needed to lower the spare - which is under the rear on mine. And the rest of it is in storage. I have roadside assistance and I'm assuming that they likely have better equipment with them. Or they can truck me to someone who does. LOL
Thanks. Thats what my wife suggested we do. Right now I have it sitting between the front seats. Could make a handy place to set a console type cup holder. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
A couple more RT questions:
1. How do I open the exterior panel to access sewage/macerator? It seems stuck. There must be a trick to it.
2. On the roof there is a white wire/cable running from the air conditioner to the power awning. Its laying open on the roof although it is connected to awning and runs inside the a/c. Should it be laying open like that? Should I duct tape it down or do anything else to it?
3. I read about crossed wires in some fridges. How do I know if mine is OK?

That's it for now. Thanks to everyone for your help!!
The exterior panel can be tricky to open... takes a bit of force and extreme care because it breaks easily. LOL (really helpful huh) There have been a couple iterations... mine is kind of a lift straight up and pull.

You will know if the fridge wires are crossed because it never cycles and you basically have a 5 cf freezer. If it cycles, it is not the wiring. The next trick is figuring out where to set the thermostat to keep the freezer freezing... and the fridge cool enough. It varies a bit by unit.

Haven't a clue on the wire on the roof as I left the awning in storage and mine comes with a manual awning anyway. If you are a Facebook person, we have a very good owners group for Zion/Simplicity models. I bet someone over there would know about that wire on the roof.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #35
Bronze Member

Quote:
Must the waste tanks be dumped for winter if they aren't full? I figure if tanks are only half full that leaves a lot of room for freeze expansion.
Not necessary and the RV's that have the 6 gallon hot water tanks it is not possible to get the last 20% of the water out of the tank and that is not a problem as there is room for the water to expand.

It is the water lines and the water pump that may get damaged if water freezes inside.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calson View Post
It is the water lines and the water pump that may get damaged if water freezes inside.
Yes, the pump can be very vulnerable. If you have one of those clear plastic screen covers on your pump, it is best to remove it for the winter.

Pex water lines aren't really vulnerable, but various fittings are. So are faucet valves, shower wands, and so on. I always take anything removable indoors for the winter.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #37

Quote:
I took delivery of a 2020 Agile this week. The batteries do not seem to be charging. They are checking the AGMs today and if that's not the issue I will have to take it to their service center next week to check lithium and whatever else. What was the problem with yours and was it Mercedes chassis?

On the plus side, a rep from Roadtrek reached out to me from a FB group.
KJDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #38
jls
Bronze Member

are they not charging when you run the engine? or do they not charge off the solar panels? or both?

mine had wiring issues with both the solar controller and the 2nd alternator.

it's been a bit of challenge to get things fixed because mercedes service won't touch anything that isn't mercedes factory and since RT has altered many things including wiring, they are quick to opt out. however, RT support has been good and they will walk you through the easier fixes.

yes, this is frustrating for a new vehicle! wish they had better testing and quality control before leaving the factory.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:24 AM   #39

Quote:
are they not charging when you run the engine? or do they not charge off the solar panels? or both?

mine had wiring issues with both the solar controller and the 2nd alternator.

it's been a bit of challenge to get things fixed because mercedes service won't touch anything that isn't mercedes factory and since RT has altered many things including wiring, they are quick to opt out. however, RT support has been good and they will walk you through the easier fixes.

yes, this is frustrating for a new vehicle! wish they had better testing and quality control before leaving the factory.
Got it back from sales center this afternoon where a tech confirmed everything they checked was working -- but lithium won't hold a charge. Driving, shore power, solar, direct jump ... they just keep depleting further. Now they're below 12.2V and won't stay on for more than a few seconds. Their full service center probably can't get me in 'til after the holiday so I'll be stuck with zero electric for awhile. Yes, very frustrating.
KJDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDuke View Post
Got it back from sales center this afternoon where a tech confirmed everything they checked was working -- but lithium won't hold a charge. Driving, shore power, solar, direct jump ... they just keep depleting further. Now they're below 12.2V and won't stay on for more than a few seconds. Their full service center probably can't get me in 'til after the holiday so I'll be stuck with zero electric for awhile. Yes, very frustrating.
You haven't mentioned doing the reset procedure yet. That was probably the first thing tried but let us know if the reset procedure steps were attempted.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote