Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #1

Default New RoadTrek Zion 2020

We just closed on a 2020 Roadtrek Zion. Very excited. Some things that sold us: lithium with VoltStart, macerator pump, spare tire, center bath, and twin/full bed option.

I'm the type that worries about the deal (perhaps too much). Not sure if we got a 'good' deal but I think we got a fair deal (between 103-105k).

Plan to retire next year and this will be our mobile vacation home. Hope to hear from other Zion owners and open to suggestions on good camping places.
RJake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting. I did not know Roadtrek was building and selling new vans. Using new technology too. Price is good! Hope you enjoy. Please keep up us updated on your adventures!
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Bronze Member

You will really like the EcoTrek batteries, you will find that you do not need to plug into shorepower and you can boondock off the grid literally anywhere. We have owned a Carado Banff since December 2019 with two EcoTrek batteries and I have only plugged in twice all summer at a campsite. You are further advantaged because you have VoltStart, I unfortunately do not but no issues yet.

When we traveled from MN to WA State, we stayed in hotel parking lots overnight and never bothered. We have found that campsites without all the hookups are so much more beautiful, look for BLM or State/National Forest land. Another great place to stay is at a boat launch, we have overnight parked on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan and you are right on the water and it is free. Once we had to pay $5 as a boat launch fee. Look for signs say, “No Camping”, this means you can park overnight and just do not set out the grill, camp chairs or extend the awning.

Have fun with the Zion, they are great campervans. Lastly do not forget to waive to other Ram Promaster campervans, we seem to be part of a club. Weird but true and you will see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A8DE8DEF-081E-4D65-920B-A4FCE3A06239.jpeg (171.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpeg 83E5CC7A-3564-4ACA-BC75-2DC914849F72.jpeg (124.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg 4CFCE5F9-0704-4A75-976B-E6521058D179.jpeg (75.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

In addition to BLM, National Forest and National park campgrounds, don't forget Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds.

And with an America the Beautiful Senior Pass for those over 62, all those above campgrounds are half price.
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcomes and great advice. We pick up our Zion in two weeks. It will be winterized but I still plan a weekend shakedown cruise.

My wife tells me to quit worrying about the money. I'm sure I will once we get the Zion home.

Great photos BTW. Ours is silver, too.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJake1 View Post
Thanks for the welcomes and great advice. We pick up our Zion in two weeks. It will be winterized but I still plan a weekend shakedown cruise.

My wife tells me to quit worrying about the money. I'm sure I will once we get the Zion home.

Great photos BTW. Ours is silver, too.

Welcome to the forum RJake1!

Many of us will be following your review and impressions since yours is a product of the "new" Roadtrek.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
As usual, the spouse is right. The time to worry about the money is before you sign the paperwork. At this point, you're committed, so relax, keep researching and get ready to go camping, even if you initially use it like a warm tin tent while it stays winterized.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:10 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm the type that worries about the deal (perhaps too much). Not sure if we got a 'good' deal but I think we got a fair deal (between 103-105k).
Check the Roadtrek website for the 2021 model updates and the new MSRP prices... way high, so your deal sounds fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blum
Thanks for posting. I did not know Roadtrek was building and selling new vans. Using new technology too. Price is good! Hope you enjoy. Please keep up us updated on your adventures!
This is the Roadtrek technology that came out in 2015. Most of the 2020 models were partially done on the line at the bankruptcy. Rapido completed them all and they went to dealerships.

They have just brought out their new 2021s with some nice tweaks and new models... many requested by current owners.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

One of the biggest changes for 2021 is the elimination of VoltStart. That was a feature we wanted since we have a dog traveling with us. I think they also improved the front seats. The belts will be built into the seat which makes for easier swivel. I'll have to check out the other tweaks.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:45 PM   #10
Silver Member

Looks like the VoltStart functionality will be taken over by the new Firefly coach management system. You’ll also be able to control the lights globally, including dimming, from the LED panel, or from your phone. A huge upgrade!

It also looks like they dropped the EcoTrek brand for their lithium battery upgrade. Probably a good idea since there were some known issues with the old technology, particularly in the beginning.

Quote:
One of the biggest changes for 2021 is the elimination of VoltStart. That was a feature we wanted since we have a dog traveling with us. I think they also improved the front seats. The belts will be built into the seat which makes for easier swivel. I'll have to check out the other tweaks.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #11
Silver Member

I really like what Roadtrek is doing under the new company. Quality appears to be up and they’re listening to their customers, unlike the former jackasses who ran them into the ground.

Long live Roadtrek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Check the Roadtrek website for the 2021 model updates and the new MSRP prices... way high, so your deal sounds fine.

This is the Roadtrek technology that came out in 2015. Most of the 2020 models were partially done on the line at the bankruptcy. Rapido completed them all and they went to dealerships.

They have just brought out their new 2021s with some nice tweaks and new models... many requested by current owners.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:49 PM   #12

Yeah I understand the wiring on some of the lithium batteries was not correct and needed changed as late as the 2019 models. I've been assured that was corrected for all recent models. Our dealer is a major Roadtrek partner so I tend to believe it.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:00 AM   #13
Silver Member

I’ve seen several interviews with the management of the new company. Also been in touch with their marketing people. These folks really seem to have their act together.

Chances are you’re going to love your Zion! Can’t wait to see your reviews!

Quote:
Yeah I understand the wiring on some of the lithium batteries was not correct and needed changed as late as the 2019 models. I've been assured that was corrected for all recent models. Our dealer is a major Roadtrek partner so I tend to believe it.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:51 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think they also improved the front seats. The belts will be built into the seat which makes for easier swivel. I'll have to check out the other tweaks.
The last year of the old company, they switched over to all Promasters of the same model. (no passenger arm rest... harness on door frame... etc) It was not the bottom model, but mid-range. I haven't seen any problems with the swivel on them.

Rapido has chosen to go up to what may be the top model. The only real disadvantage of this model is that it is darn near impossible to find a good set of seat covers with the shoulder harness in the seat back. I think the seat also has more adjustments.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #15

Question for anyone that takes RV north to south in Jan/Feb. Do you wait until you are in warmer climate to de-winterize? When do you re-winterize on the return trip (assuming it's still winter)?
Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #16

Default 2017 road trek Zion

[I have basically the same van and I love it. A few minor problems (just froze my hot water heater again cold- one night) 40 k miles. Volt start is amazing showed I had a problem with lithium batteries, (broke belt on generator) didn’t know -it kept coming on. I got a better deal but I bought in winter not during covid, they wanted to get it off lot. Very happy with the purchase. 14.5 miles per gallon. The only problem is Roadtrek going broke a year after purchase. But luckily they are now back in biz. Still not clear about warranty for older ones. Find a guy who knows the Roadtrek Zion they are worth they weight in gold. If your doing winter get 4 good snow tires. There a bunch of little things I would change (shore power and water off bumper) you’ll knock them off a few times. Water pump placement. Etc.

QUOTE=RJake1;118733]We just closed on a 2020 Roadtrek Zion. Very excited. Some things that sold us: lithium with VoltStart, macerator pump, spare tire, center bath, and twin/full bed option.

Plan to retire next year and this will be our mobile vacation home. Hope to hear from other Zion owners and open to suggestions on good camping places.[/QUOTE]
Cokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #17
Platinum Member

De-winterizing is basically just putting water in the tank so you do that when you can find a good source of water to flush the antifreeze out of the tank and fill it. Sample the water, you don't want a tank of iron or pond water. You don't need to worry leaving about the antifreeze in the black & grey water tanks.

Winterizing requires dumping the tanks so you'll have to pick a place that is convenient. It needs to be a level location to be sure you have the tanks empty. Drive too far north and you may find that nobody is open to permit dumping. Worst case, you could probably contact a city and go to their dumping station for septic trucks.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #18

Must the waste tanks be dumped for winter if they aren't full? I figure if tanks are only half full that leaves a lot of room for freeze expansion.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:14 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokkie View Post
...But luckily they are now back in biz. Still not clear about warranty for older ones.
It is very clear. There is no warranty on the older models. It died with the old Roadtrek. Rapido did give a limited warranty to those that purchased within 2 years of their purchase of the company. So, my 2018/2019 that I purchased July, 2018 had a $1500 warranty that ended July, 2020. I had only one smallish claim that they paid quite promptly. (this was only for Roadtreks, not for those branded Hymer)

Quote:
Must the waste tanks be dumped for winter if they aren't full? I figure if tanks are only half full that leaves a lot of room for freeze expansion.
Yes, I would empty all the tanks. Some put antifreeze in them, but I never have.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
You must winterize the macerator and the pipes/manifold in front of the macerator. After doing that yes you can possibly use the grey/black tanks. I always put some antifreeze in as we go.
markoch is offline   Reply With Quote