Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #1

Default Removed Ac unit from 1999 Road trek, need sealing ideas

I recently removed the stock ac unit from the back of the van in order to create a loft for my cat who lives with me and my fiance. The only problem was now that we removed it, the back vent area was exposed to all of the elements. We want to seal it up so we don't get tons of dust and noise from the outside in, but we don't have many ideas. Hoping someone on here would have a creative approach to solve this puzzle. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220310_210511391-1.jpg (211.9 KB, 25 views)
Warped_Van_Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped_Van_Tour View Post
I recently removed the stock ac unit from the back of the van in order to create a loft for my cat who lives with me and my fiance. The only problem was now that we removed it, the back vent area was exposed to all of the elements. We want to seal it up so we don't get tons of dust and noise from the outside in, but we don't have many ideas. Hoping someone on here would have a creative approach to solve this puzzle. Thanks!
How about getting a piece of plexiglass cut to fit? You can use some clear adhesive to bond or use the existing brackets to screw into place. The plexiglass does not have to be clear. It can white/opaque for privacy?
Old 08-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

or a slab of the 1" foil backed insulation foam from home depot easy to cut and fit, caulk around the edges.
Just make sure that any water which can get in can drain away
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Did you want to still have a window there so the cat can look outside and have it open to let air in? I'm just throwing out ideas. How about using bug window screen to cover the opening, like the rear window? Then have a hinged piece of plexiglass or something that you could raise and hook to the ceiling above for when you want it open. Use Reflectix and maybe something more solid, like another piece of wood to cover the window when you need more insulation and sound proofing. It'd be great to put a hinged window that opens with a crank or the pop out, like our other windows have.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #5

Took ours out and just put plywood in and taped with good tape
Jack1943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, ideas, roadtrek, sealed from elements