Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Removing shower stall in RoadTrek 170

Looking at a 2014 RoadTrek 170 in pretty good condition. Really don't need/want the shower area and could use more space.

Is it a lot of work or difficulty to remove? I am pretty handy so only concerned about having to remove all sorts of other stuff, like trim, cabinets, etc which may then leave an eyesore.

Thoughts?
jaimedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimedog View Post
Looking at a 2014 RoadTrek 170 in pretty good condition. Really don't need/want the shower area and could use more space.

Is it a lot of work or difficulty to remove? I am pretty handy so only concerned about having to remove all sorts of other stuff, like trim, cabinets, etc which may then leave an eyesore.

Thoughts?
If you can do it and it looks stock when you are done then go for it. You say you are handy so take your time and do it right. Keep the old items in the event you want to sell it. That being said, you will regret it if you do a "hatchet job" on it.

my $.02
KF
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Do like I do and use the shower as a storage space without removing. Build shelving or whatever you need without removing the shower. There are water lines, drain lines, wiring, etc. behind the walls and floor, which means you will have to rebuild the whole area and can hurt the resale value when you sell down the road.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:20 PM   #4

hmmm...sounding not like a good idea. Need the space so guess it would be better to build around it.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have a 17-footer. No shower, no blocked windows. Love it. If removing the shower would unblock some windows, it might be worth it.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
We have a 17-footer. No shower, no blocked windows. Love it. If removing the shower would unblock some windows, it might be worth it.
Existing shower is not blocking any window. Am not near the van to take a closer look at how difficult to remove the shower, but re-sale is a consideration so sounds easier to work around it.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

A 170 with a shower stall? My 2015 170 only had a tray in the aisle... no other option. Are you sure this isn't a 190? Or are you talking about removing the toilet?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #8

OK wrong wording (sorry I'm a newbie at RV'ing)!
Yes there is just a tray in the aisle but there are vertical wooden side panels with a fold-out door. The side panels are about 14" deep so they protrude into the aisle space (see attached photo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00b0b_jTisYDAwBg6z_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg (54.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes that is the common traditional Roadtrek small toilet room. I'm not clear on how this mod is going to expand space. These are small vans, any way you look at it. lol

If you don't want to have a toilet, it can be removed and the black tank under it sealed off. Then you could add shelving in there if you want storage - or a bar for hanging clothes... and/or remove the door. I would NOT change the walls or remove the black tank because I think that would kill any resale value. Most people have these small RVs to provide bathroom and kitchen facilities. I would suggest that any changes that you make be easily reversible.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
If you don't want to have a toilet, it can be removed and the black tank under it sealed off.
This is what a previous owner did in ours. Fixed toilet was removed, black tank sealed off. Then I 1) removed the black tank completely and converted the area to a storage locker, picking up a few more cubic feet of storage, 2) use a Porta-Potty.. easy to empty and get completely clean (no smelly tanks or drain pipes anywhere). For a very small van this makes the best use of the limited available room.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
This is what a previous owner did in ours. Fixed toilet was removed, black tank sealed off. Then I 1) removed the black tank completely and converted the area to a storage locker, picking up a few more cubic feet of storage, 2) use a Porta-Potty.. easy to empty and get completely clean (no smelly tanks or drain pipes anywhere). For a very small van this makes the best use of the limited available room.
Yep this is pretty much what I am thinking. The wife actually likes the porta-potty concept and I have seen some pretty easy-to-use ones out there not too expensive. As for the shower plumbing, it should probably remain and maybe I can find a way to extend the curtain to be a full wrap and remove the side wall to make that side of the van more useable space. Sound doable?
Old 05-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimedog View Post
Sound doable?
Sure - you can do anything. But do a reality check before removing walls.
Can this be reversed? Might be a roadblock if/when trying to sell the van. I've seen highly-modified interiors and they are usually a turn-off.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sure - you can do anything. But do a reality check before removing walls.
Can this be reversed? Might be a roadblock if/when trying to sell the van. I've seen highly-modified interiors and they are usually a turn-off.
What I said above. Most people want a toilet and prefer a black tank over a portipotty, so it would definitely limit the pool of buyers for resale if you can't reverse whatever changes you make. I actually removed the toilet in my 170 as I haven't used my black tank since my Libero. Only do short trips and don't have easy access to dumping, so a camping toilet system works fine for me. But this is a minority opinion. lol

BTW, I had tons of storage in my 170 as I had both the wardrobe and armoire options replacing both 2nd row seats.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme