Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2022, 06:11 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek 170 vs 190 for overland

Hello I am in the market for a roadtrek, my budget will keep me in the 2003-2009 range

I been reading up into the RTs for a while now, im been raised around chevy LS based engines.

Me and the wife go on a weekend camping trips every 3 weeks, and twice a year we try planning a 1-2 week camping roadtrip (usually not staying in 1 campsite for more than 2 days) dry camp 2-3 days then a koa site to drain fill up and hot shower.

We been doing this on a 16ft grand caravan camper conversion with a rooftop tent and a 2" lift. We semi overland through forest trails, beaches, desert.

The 170p seams like the perfect upgrade for us.
Looking for the older 6.0 versions. Big enough for 2 people, with lots of power. Better milage againts a 190p 4 speed?

Is there any advantage im not seeing to getting a 190p over the 170p? Besides extra storage and a bit more load and towing?

Is there a huge difference going from 2500 to 3500 chassis? Much of my destinations are up in the mountains.

Only thing i did notice is the 170p never came with a locking diff like some 190p have

My goal for either style van get a boulder or weldtec 3" lift with bigger all terrain tires and locking differential.

Nothing crazy just enough keep from getting stuck in dispersed and primitive campsites, blm lands

Thanks for all the help.
Bpjr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

you are hitting ( i think) all the right questions

some of the 170's use the 4.8 which is what i have in my pick up- I consider that motor marginal ( tranny is always hunting 3/OD)

the 6.0 3spd/OD is a great match for the weight of my chev 3500 2006 pleasure way lexor ( size of a 190) we can count on 15/16 mpg at 65 mph depending on pump octane

and like you the knowledge, manuals and tools carried over

our "off road" is USFS roads or roads like Apache Trail where clearance isn't an issue- the PW doesn't have the drop floor like the RT and I think my clearance is better

we can do about 6 days off grid and then a trip to town for laundry, food, water, dump and etc.

the 170 tends to have alot of overhanging cabinetry- it's tight feeling for me.

we ditched the shower pan for the outdoors shower wand ( most B's have) when in the boonies

there are plenty threads on lifts and suspension here- some smart and adventurous folks

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
you are hitting ( i think) all the right questions

some of the 170's use the 4.8 which is what i have in my pick up- I consider that motor marginal ( tranny is always hunting 3/OD)

the 6.0 3spd/OD is a great match for the weight of my chev 3500 2006 pleasure way lexor ( size of a 190) we can count on 15/16 mpg at 65 mph depending on pump octane

and like you the knowledge, manuals and tools carried over

our "off road" is USFS roads or roads like Apache Trail where clearance isn't an issue- the PW doesn't have the drop floor like the RT and I think my clearance is better

we can do about 6 days off grid and then a trip to town for laundry, food, water, dump and etc.

the 170 tends to have alot of overhanging cabinetry- it's tight feeling for me.

we ditched the shower pan for the outdoors shower wand ( most B's have) when in the boonies

there are plenty threads on lifts and suspension here- some smart and adventurous folks

Mike

I think your 6.0 Pleasureway would have the 3.93 or 3.73 (forget which they used) in it, but the Roadtrek would likely have 4.11 gears, at least in the 190s.

The 170 is shorter wheelbase so would be better against getting high centered.

The post 2010 models that have the 6 speed transmission are much better as they have more power ranges, get better mileage, and don't overheat going up mountains.

None of the the mentioned models are designed to be run on rough road shaking type areas as the RV parts will not like that and start falling off or breaking, IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

yes agree on the cabinetry, driving gravel or smooth dirt, no problem but washboard makes me cringe.

each one of my Robertson head screws took a 1/4 to 1/8th turn to tighten the cabinetry up when we bought the van ( buy a CDN made van, get R1 and R2 screwdrivers from Canada with the correct taper rather than an "almost fits" square drive bit. Robertsons are used in Canada for electrical and cabinetry)

not sure what my rear end ratio is- the drivetrain works so well

( lazy, rather than go look at RPO, I ran the vin which shows 4:10 and 3:73 - brochure says 3:73)

so far...(knocking on head) I've had no heat problems with a number of long long pulls in Arizona heat under belt- salt river canyon on US 60 and Mt Lemmon- we have a pair of electric fans sound like a jet taking off to help cooling system

I watch the tranny temp on the odbfusion app and so far so good

mike
Old 04-20-2022, 10:44 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

"Is there any advantage im not seeing to getting a 190p over the 170p? Besides extra storage and a bit more load and towing?"

Yes, the longer wheel base on the highway! But not necessarily running round town which B's seldom do vs some kind of non-running round town driving, country road would be a 190 for me.

With the years you mention and the mountains, heat can be a problem on a hot day. I have a 190 and Many miles driving in the mountains and am simply careful. I'm like Mike too "... it's tight feeling for me" If buying another, a 190 and have been mostly solo - a 190.

Generally an advantage 'used' is how many of each, a 190.

There are plenty of 170 advantages and applications out there. Heck, I suggest that you buy whatever you want, and have fun doing it.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Booster made me feel guilty: RPO GT4 3:73 in my 2006 Pleasure Way ( 2005 chev 3500, rpo tag usually on pass door)

to echo the above, look at as many units as you can- we probably looked at close to 20~25 figuring out which features we wanted, needed and didn't care about

youtube videos watching the often large sales person trying to move around while another person holds the camera were good too

Mike
Old 04-21-2022, 01:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

The post 2010 models that have the 6 speed transmission are much better as they have more power ranges, get better mileage, and don't overheat going up mountains.

None of the the mentioned models are designed to be run on rough road shaking type areas as the RV parts will not like that and start falling off or breaking, IMO.
No real overlanding just some camp spots are few miles down a dirt road, desert, wet forests or staying in blm land where ground clearance is nice . locking diff sounds great for something this heavy too, 170s never came with them, will have to add.

Looking at the 170 6.0 models 4 speed 3.73s, just because they are priced significanly lower than anything above 2010s,
and 170 only came with 4.8L 6 speed which are described "good on flat roads"

Definently would love a 6.0 6speed 190 if the price is right and affordable. But most above 60k im trying to get one close to half that.

Also just started researching roadtrek a few months ago, are these prices super inflated for these rvs, because of used car market, shortages and inflation?

Should i hold out for a few months or a year? Its not going stop my trips i will just have to stay used to crouching in my grand caravan for a bit longer.

(Open to other models if i should check anything else)
Old 04-21-2022, 01:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Booster made me feel guilty: RPO GT4 3:73 in my 2006 Pleasure Way ( 2005 chev 3500, rpo tag usually on pass door)

to echo the above, look at as many units as you can- we probably looked at close to 20~25 figuring out which features we wanted, needed and didn't care about

youtube videos watching the often large sales person trying to move around while another person holds the camera were good too

Mike
Yes i have done youtube walkthroughs of countless roadtreks in all sizes and styles haha.

I physically seen a 2007 210 too big!

I seen a 2006 170 its nice good for me and the wife.

Yet to see a 190 up close maybe this weekemd?

And yes patience is key, im also checking the rpo codes so i can see if they had auxiliary transcooler and locking diff.

Any good places to look? Im on ctaigslist, offer up.and rv trader.

In no hurry to buy one i got my camper van for now.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What models are designed for rough roads?
Any in the under 40k range?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:10 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpjr07 View Post

Any good places to look? Im on ctaigslist, offer up.and rv trader.

prices shot up during covid, previously your budget would be ample

when searching craigs use common misspellings and variations

road trek, roadtrek, road trac, Pleasure-way, PleasureWay, Pleasure Way Great West Coachman, Coachmen, Coach Man etc

my seller had misspelled "Plaesure-Way" and I watched him slowly lower asking price and after about 5 weeks seemed close.
when I called, I was the only caller he'd had
( because it wouldn't return in search results)

I have a similar story about my FLHTC listed as an FLHTZ

mike
Old 04-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
prices shot up during covid, previously your budget would be ample

when searching craigs use common misspellings and variations

road trek, roadtrek, road trac, Pleasure-way, PleasureWay, Pleasure Way Great West Coachman, Coachmen, Coach Man etc

mike
Nice! Goid advice i would try road trek 2 words but good idea will try it.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

quick search shows a couple of AZ contenders on craigslist

BTW with R/T a "popular" model generally has beds fore/aft, better if you are tall.
"versatile" models are usually sideways sleepers

mike
Old 04-21-2022, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
quick search shows a couple of AZ contenders on craigslist

BTW with R/T a "popular" model generally has beds fore/aft, better if you are tall.
"versatile" models are usually sideways sleepers

mike
Looks like the R/T has a 4.8 not 6.0.

Is the rt worth looking at?

Ps i fit nicely sideways on the 170 im 5'7" wife 5"2 so not a issue for us.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #14

After more research on the overheating and trasmission overheating issues of the 2009 and lower roadtreks, might have to reconsider waiting untill the 6speeds are in my price range.

Live in Los angeles so my trips mostly consist of driving up to big bear area, sierra nevadas sequia/Yosemite.

Would a 4.8 6 speed have enough power? I wont carry too heavy will never tow.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
After more research on the overheating and trasmission overheating issues of the 2009 and lower roadtreks, might have to reconsider waiting untill the 6speeds are in my price range.

Live in Los angeles so my trips mostly consist of driving up to big bear area, sierra nevadas sequia/Yosemite.

Would a 4.8 6 speed have enough power? I wont carry too heavy will never tow.

The overheating thing is real, no doubt in my mind at all. We have a 4 speed 190 6.0 and did get the heat thing fixed to our satisfaction, but it took a quite modified reprogramming of the PCM to do it and there are some compromises to that cure.

At 4.8 with a 6 speed should be just fine for you, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Hello I am in the market for a roadtrek, my budget will keep me in the 2003-2009 range

I been reading up into the RTs for a while now, im been raised around chevy LS based engines.

Me and the wife go on a weekend camping trips every 3 weeks, and twice a year we try planning a 1-2 week camping roadtrip (usually not staying in 1 campsite for more than 2 days) dry camp 2-3 days then a koa site to drain fill up and hot shower.

We been doing this on a 16ft grand caravan camper conversion with a rooftop tent and a 2" lift. We semi overland through forest trails, beaches, desert.

The 170p seams like the perfect upgrade for us.
Looking for the older 6.0 versions. Big enough for 2 people, with lots of power. Better milage againts a 190p 4 speed?

Is there any advantage im not seeing to getting a 190p over the 170p? Besides extra storage and a bit more load and towing?

Is there a huge difference going from 2500 to 3500 chassis? Much of my destinations are up in the mountains.

Only thing i did notice is the 170p never came with a locking diff like some 190p have

My goal for either style van get a boulder or weldtec 3" lift with bigger all terrain tires and locking differential.

Nothing crazy just enough keep from getting stuck in dispersed and primitive campsites, blm lands

Thanks for all the help.
I owned a 2001 Roadtrek 210 and now have a 2014 Pleasure Way Plateau. Chevy vs Spinter. Bought in Naple Florida right before Covid. Lots of used Class B rvs. Double rear wheels is amazingly more stable than single wheels on Chevy
3500. I recently upgraded sway bar and shocks from Agile Off-Road located in California. Even better yet. Night and day build quality with Pleaureway vs Roadtrek. 2014 Pleasureway
With 48k miles was 75k used. We dry camp at
National and state parks. 3-4 days between dump stations.

Looked 170 But it felt too small. 190 is a nice. Size.
Agile Off Road can supply everything you need it you want to trick out. Sprinter for off-road.

Sprinter gets 22-27 mpg. Roadtrek Chevy V8 max 17 mpg.

Have fun!
andrewtschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #17
otr
Gold Member

here is one which showed up a craigslist search locally. I think the 170's were produced as 1 in ten relative to the 190's

https://vermont.craigslist.org/rvs/d...471293654.html
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #18
Bronze Member

In addition to the 170-190, you may want to consider a Roadtrek Ranger. I own a 2014 Roadtrek Ranger RT built on Chevy Express 2500 which is very similar to the 190. My RT Ranger came equipped with the 4.8Ltr, 6Speed Tranny and Diff 3.42. The combination is very good on MPG but I will definitely not win any race...! When "loaded" for camping (2xpassengers, Full Gas/Propane and Water) I am sitting at 8060Lbs (Max GVWR 8600LBS) and no problem pulling its weight.
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #19

Yes i would keep my eyes open for the rangers.