Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
dicktill, looked the numbers I wrote down earlier, but I had not gotten around to compute the ratio's. They were very close to what you posted above for the 4 speed. Sure would like to add the 6 speed 2nd gear for downshifting, it would make a very noticeable difference.

IIRC, when I looked at the programming on both transmissions, I think both lock up all the gears except first gear so the lower second gear would be very handy.

Stock programming on the 4 speed requires something like 50mph in second gear to get it to lock. We experimented with dropping that lockup and went as low as 25mph, but on steep climbs it was not able to pull the load unlocked. I think I have it at 28 or 30mph right now and it has been OK, but will test further when we get in mountains again.

I think the gearing in the six speed would probably allow locking down to around 20mph which would be really nice as lots of steep climbs are also slow curvy roads. The stock 6 speed lockup speeds are listed in one of the threads on the reprogramming of our 4 speed.

This thread has tables that show all the shift points and lockup points for upshifts, downshifts, lockup, release lockup.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...icks-7158.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #22
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
IIRC, when I looked at the programming on both transmissions, I think both lock up all the gears except first gear so the lower second gear would be very handy.

Stock programming on the 4 speed requires something like 50mph in second gear to get it to lock. We experimented with dropping that lockup and went as low as 25mph, but on steep climbs it was not able to pull the load unlocked. I think I have it at 28 or 30mph right now and it has been OK, but will test further when we get in mountains again.

I think the gearing in the six speed would probably allow locking down to around 20mph which would be really nice as lots of steep climbs are also slow curvy roads. The stock 6 speed lockup speeds are listed in one of the threads on the reprogramming of our 4 speed.

This thread has tables that show all the shift points and lockup points for upshifts, downshifts, lockup, release lockup.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...icks-7158.html

You guessed right earlier, I did recall those posts. Enjoyed them again. I can't imagine me taking that on. Yet, you're the one having all the fun, well a lot of it.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post

I'm limiting my questions to the 2007 to 2010 years because I want a full time, enclosed bathroom with at least a sit down shower. And unit younger than 2010 would be too expensive.

Thanks.
Since this topic took a technical, but interesting turn, I'm quoting the OP. You may want to also consider a 2011 or later 190P and 190V. The private, "full" bath were available on these models (190P: optional, 190V: standard?). They come with the good items, previously mentioned: 6L engine and 6 speed transmission. RT also changed to AGM batteries during this time. I don't think that you can physically overload a 190 model. Mine (12C190P) weighs under 9,000 lbs out of 9,600 with full fuel, propane, and both fresh water tanks. It also has 2 people on board and every nook and cranny filled. A 190 is also a few feet shorter than a 210.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #24
Bronze Member

Thanks. I'm glad you added this info. However, I'm guessing they will be above my price range, but I will go look now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Since this topic took a technical, but interesting turn, I'm quoting the OP. You may want to also consider a 2011 or later 190P and 190V. The private, "full" bath were available on these models (190P: optional, 190V: standard?). They come with the good items, previously mentioned: 6L engine and 6 speed transmission. RT also changed to AGM batteries during this time. I don't think that you can physically overload a 190 model. Mine (12C190P) weighs under 9,000 lbs out of 9,600 with full fuel, propane, and both fresh water tanks. It also has 2 people on board and every nook and cranny filled. A 190 is also a few feet shorter than a 210.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm glad you added this info. However, I'm guessing they will be above my price range, but I will go look now.

If you can get along with smaller size of the 190, they also got the 6 speed in 2010 and most have the fully enclosed bathroom. Some of the earlier 190s with the 4 speeds also have the full time bath so might be an option.

Used prices on all class bs are crazy high right now, so affordability is a tough requirement to meet, I fear.

I agree on the load capacity issues with 210s as many are running around overweight I think as they don't have a lot load capacity. 190s can be made overweight, but it is much more difficult. Our 190 now has 4 AGMs no generator and we normally run in 9300-9500# when fully loaded, two smallish people and tanks at about 1/2 overall full.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #26
Bronze Member

We began RV life with a Roadtrek. It was a 1994/5 Roady 190 Independent built on the Dodge chassis. I really like that floor plan. It had 4 seats up front like a Versatile (but we had the removable wardrobe we could put in place of one seat), but had a permanent tiny tub. We could take showers standing in that tub, and the floor didn't get wet. The tub also was a place to put wet/muddy boots/shoes. It stuck out in the aisle a little so I guess that's why it didn't last Long in production. We lost this one due to a fire.

We had a couple more Class B's, then went to trailers. I'm older now and didn't want to deal with portable generators any longer, so we recently bought a 2018 Class C. It solved the problem of generators, but created a new one. it can't be used in places like Yellowstone. unless I pull a dingy.

Now I either have to replace my car with a flat towable one, tow my pickup, which is very large, (not counting the 4K needed to make them ready for towing), go back to a trailer, which re introduces the generator problem, or find a suitable Class B. Suitable Class B definitely includes at a minimum a permanent enclosed sit down shower. I will also need a generator, since a big use of our RV is tailgate weekends at football games.

Quote:
If you can get along with smaller size of the 190, they also got the 6 speed in 2010 and most have the fully enclosed bathroom. Some of the earlier 190s with the 4 speeds also have the full time bath so might be an option.

Used prices on all class bs are crazy high right now, so affordability is a tough requirement to meet, I fear.

I agree on the load capacity issues with 210s as many are running around overweight I think as they don't have a lot load capacity. 190s can be made overweight, but it is much more difficult. Our 190 now has 4 AGMs no generator and we normally run in 9300-9500# when fully loaded, two smallish people and tanks at about 1/2 overall full.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #27
Platinum Member

The enclosed wet bath in the 190 is really constricting because of the curved sidewall and large bump where the van body ends. Definitely for smaller people only. I’m 5’7” and 160#, and I can barely sit on the toilet and close the door. Haven’t seen it in person, but the one in the 210 appears to be more usable.

How would the closet toilet on many older RT’s work at a football weekend? Not much privacy in a group setting.

The 190 works better for us because we sometimes tow a trailer and mostly use campground bathrooms, but now that I hear the OP’s specific needs, the 210 does appear to make sense.

If you sometimes carry passengers, the optional rear jackknife sofa is a useful feature, eliminating the need for storage-robbing middle seats. Not great for conversing with your passengers, of course. Ours are teens, so the separation is a plus!

I’m surprised you can’t find a trailer with an onboard generator, but perhaps you’re restricted by size and towing capacity.

No perfect solution, especially on a limited budget. Best wishes finding the right compromise for your future travels.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #28
Bronze Member

I guess I would definitely need to take a look at a 190's permanent bathroom. I'm a wee bit taller, and unfortunately many pounds heavier than you,

Both the semi-permanent or permanent toilet works fine at tailgates. Everyone uses their own RV's facilities. Most of our activities are outside, and we have a central cooking area outside under tents.

Regular travel trailers never come with generators. Large 5th wheels can come with generators, and some "toy hauler" trailers may come with a generator. My friend just bought a 28-30 foot TH and it came with a generator plus a 30 gallon gas tank. However if I could afford a new one of them, it's so heavy, I have move up a class in trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The enclosed wet bath in the 190 is really constricting because of the curved sidewall and large bump where the van body ends. Definitely for smaller people only. I’m 5’7” and 160#, and I can barely sit on the toilet and close the door. Haven’t seen it in person, but the one in the 210 appears to be more usable.

How would the closet toilet on many older RT’s work at a football weekend? Not much privacy in a group setting.

The 190 works better for us because we sometimes tow a trailer and mostly use campground bathrooms, but now that I hear the OP’s specific needs, the 210 does appear to make sense.

If you sometimes carry passengers, the optional rear jackknife sofa is a useful feature, eliminating the need for storage-robbing middle seats. Not great for conversing with your passengers, of course. Ours are teens, so the separation is a plus!

I’m surprised you can’t find a trailer with an onboard generator, but perhaps you’re restricted by size and towing capacity.

No perfect solution, especially on a limited budget. Best wishes finding the right compromise for your future travels.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #29
Platinum Member

There may be other ways around the problems you currently have without wholesale changes or huge cost if it is mostly the generator use in the trailer.

The simplest thing that comes to mind would be to build a generator into the the pickup with cord for the shore power connection on the trailer. Of course this doesn't cover the situation where you want to be gone and have power to the trailer, but many people don't need that capability.

A decade or more ago a person I was working with had similar issues, although most of his were based on the portable generator theft issue fears as he had one stolen. He also liked to leave the trailer parked for longer periods of time and hated dragging it to the dump station once a week and having to set up again.

I laid out the beginnings of a system for his pickup that consisted of a generator and a set of 2 tanks, one for fresh water with a pump and one waste with a macerator transfer pump. It would have plumbed to the diesel tank of the van for the generator on a quick disconnect. He wanted to be able to remove it so it would have had truck camper drive under jacks built in. He eventually decided to go big and got a class A instead, but I think this was very doable a project that would solve many of the issues folks have with trailers and would be inexpensive compared to the alternatives of replacing with a motorhome. It would also not need to be changed if a different trailer was gotten.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I can speak on the Chevy. I have an 08 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS built on the 3500. Great chassis. I bought used with just over 100,000 miles on it. Only major job over my 35k miles was the brakes. No history on the maintenance, one owner, but recently I had the engine light come on, my guy replaced the spark plugs and wires. Amazed that they were the originals. 130k+!!! I read about the MB issues that are beyond ridiculous, as is the maintenance intervals and cost! Very happy with the Chevy. BTW, I have an isle bathroom in mine. I wasn't looking for that, but after getting it, I can't imagine not having that setup. I can stand in the isle and shower, about the size of a half bath shower in a basement. (Originally from Chicago) and the bathroom is as big a my residential powder room here in So Cali. The pocket doors also come in handy, privacy at night, no need to bother with the PIA front windshield curtains. When it's hot I keep the front pocket door open and the back roof AC keeps it about 10 degrees cooler. Same with the furnace keeping it warmer, although not all models have the furnace towards the rear. Good luck!
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I can speak on the Chevy. I have an 08 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS built on the 3500. Great chassis. I bought used with just over 100,000 miles on it. Only major job over my 35k miles was the brakes. No history on the maintenance, one owner, but recently I had the engine light come on, my guy replaced the spark plugs and wires. Amazed that they were the originals. 130k+!!! I read about the MB issues that are beyond ridiculous, as is the maintenance intervals and cost! Very happy with the Chevy. BTW, I have an isle bathroom in mine. I wasn't looking for that, but after getting it, I can't imagine not having that setup. I can stand in the isle and shower, about the size of a half bath shower in a basement. (Originally from Chicago) and the bathroom is as big a my residential powder room here in So Cali. The pocket doors also come in handy, privacy at night, no need to bother with the PIA front windshield curtains. When it's hot I keep the front pocket door open and the back roof AC keeps it about 10 degrees cooler. Same with the furnace keeping it warmer, although not all models have the furnace towards the rear. Good luck!
Agree the P-W Lexor is worth including in your search. By many accounts better coach build quality. Harder to find.

P-W also made a wide-body (the Excel), but it's on a Ford chassis. The Fords aren't terrible, but I prefer the Chevy (especially with the 6-speed).
Old 01-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #32
Bronze Member

Where are the 4 AGM's stored? How many amp hrs are available? With no generator, you can't run your A/C unless you are at a RV Park, correct?

At least for one more year, I plan on doing all my school's football games. It is strictly boondocking and it gets hot in the early September games.

Quote:

190s can be made overweight, but it is much more difficult. Our 190 now has 4 AGMs no generator and we normally run in 9300-9500# when fully loaded, two smallish people and tanks at about 1/2 overall full.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Where are the 4 AGM's stored? How many amp hrs are available? With no generator, you can't run your A/C unless you are at a RV Park, correct?

At least for one more year, I plan on doing all my school's football games. It is strictly boondocking and it gets hot in the early September games.

The batteries are under the van in the area where the generator used to be before we removed it. 440ah of Lifeline AGM at 12v. They could probably run the AC for a couple of hours without issue, but we never have run the AC, except for a short test, off them.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #34
Platinum Member

The driver's side storage in a Popular 190 is good for 150 pounds so you could put a pair of 200 Ah lithium batteries in there and have capacity for electrical equipment. That storage bin has the sewage hose in it so we never use it for anything. Roadtrek should have made the dump door larger and put the hose in there. I hope to make a sealed divider and put in more drain holes this summer.
I have never used the AC for more than an hour but at some point somebody put 200 hours on the generator. I have to assume they drove around Florida with the generator running the AC as that is where our Roadtrek came from.
I'm not really aware of the 210 storage situation but I think they do take a pair of real deep cycle batteries side by side. Our 2004 190P only holds a single marine battery which is kind of sad as they aren't even deep cycle. This definitely changed over the years so look carefully when van shopping.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote