Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2020, 03:53 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek 210 Popular 2007 thru 2010

For those who have, or have had this model, how do/did you like it?

Does/did it have any major problems, either recurring or one offs?

Have you had problems exceeding the cargo capacity?

Has the Chevy chassis performed well?

I would appreciate any other comments that would be pertinent.

I'm limiting my questions to the 2007 to 2010 years because I want a full time, enclosed bathroom with at least a sit down shower. And unit younger than 2010 would be too expensive.

Thanks.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
For those who have, or have had this model, how do/did you like it?

Does/did it have any major problems, either recurring or one offs?

Have you had problems exceeding the cargo capacity?

Has the Chevy chassis performed well?

I would appreciate any other comments that would be pertinent.

I'm limiting my questions to the 2007 to 2010 years because I want a full time, enclosed bathroom with at least a sit down shower. And unit younger than 2010 would be too expensive.

Thanks.

The engine design of the 6.0 changed in about 2008 to the variable valve timing version with a bit more max power and little less low end torque so no big deal but interesting.

Transmission changed to 6 speed in 2010 which is a very big deal.

2008 had parasitic battery drain when sitting so couldn't go more than a couple of weeks without charging.

Some 2007 models of the Chevies had defective rear axles that failed fast and rebuilding failed also. I expect all of them would have been replaced by now.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My 2006 210P has the full-time enclosed bath also, so don't exclude those from your search. No major problems and we have loved it. A common problem is failure of the roof clear coat. Having mine repainted now along with some bodywork. Expect to pay $1+k just for that.

Many of us have lifted ours 2+ inches for better ground clearance.

It is easy to overload since there is so much storage.

Search this forum, the Chevy Roadtrek facebook forum. There is an old Yahoo groups forum called roadtrekkers.groups.io/g/RT
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

"The engine design of the 6.0 changed in about 2008 to the variable valve timing version with a bit more max power and little less low end torque so no big deal but interesting."

Hi booster,

I agree "interesting" but not much more. But this:

"Transmission changed to 6 speed in 2010 which is a very big deal."

My earlier model, a 4 speed with overdrive or 5 speed? Is yours a total of 6 or 7 speeds?

I'm happy with the 4 speed EXCEPT downshifting. 120,000 miles now with the brakes having never been touched! Brake linings left will make Alaska and back from New Orleans and that is with lots of mountain driving. Why? I downshift a Lot. The problem is the wide ratio between first and second gear. Creep down the mountain or warp speed in second gear. I've assumed that the 6 speed would assist with that? True?

"2008 had parasitic battery drain when sitting so couldn't go more than a couple of weeks without charging."

As I recall it was less than a week with some, or many? I don't recall any solution other than battery disconnects.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"The engine design of the 6.0 changed in about 2008 to the variable valve timing version with a bit more max power and little less low end torque so no big deal but interesting."

Hi booster,

I agree "interesting" but not much more. But this:

"Transmission changed to 6 speed in 2010 which is a very big deal."

My earlier model, a 4 speed with overdrive or 5 speed? Is yours a total of 6 or 7 speeds?

I'm happy with the 4 speed EXCEPT downshifting. 120,000 miles now with the brakes having never been touched! Brake linings left will make Alaska and back from New Orleans and that is with lots of mountain driving. Why? I downshift a Lot. The problem is the wide ratio between first and second gear. Creep down the mountain or warp speed in second gear. I've assumed that the 6 speed would assist with that? True?

"2008 had parasitic battery drain when sitting so couldn't go more than a couple of weeks without charging."

As I recall it was less than a week with some, or many? I don't recall any solution other than battery disconnects.

Bud

Bud probably is correct on the one week for some as it was a bit variable IIRC.

For me there are two big benefits to the 6 speed. The first is that they don't overheat the transmission going up long grades like the 4 speeds do, and the second is the nice to have 1-2mpg improvement most seem to report. The earlier trans was a 4 speed with the fourth gear being at .7 ratio so often called " overdrive" gear but it is really just fourth gear these days. I would think more gears would give better choices of downhill engine braking.

The original Chevy brakes did last a long time, but many also had juddering problems, too so mixed bag. The juddering is relatively easy to address.

The Chevies have shown to be very reliable over time, with few issues.

We have 2007 190P and got it new quite a while now.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a ‘14 190 with the 6-speed and still have some occasional trouble finding the right gear going downhill. Nevertheless I really like it for the fuel economy and reduced heat gain when climbing. I’m guessing that’s because it stays locked up most of the time. Lots of mountains and canyons in my home turf.

We tow a 1500# travel trailer with four on board, so combined weight is probably more than a loaded 210, but less on the rear axle because some cargo rides in the trailer. We get 18mpg highway solo, 15mpg with the trailer.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=booster;122178]Bud probably is correct on the one week for some as it was a bit variable IIRC.

For me there are two big benefits to the 6 speed. The first is that they don't overheat the transmission going up long grades like the 4 speeds do, and the second is the nice to have 1-2mpg improvement most seem to report. The earlier trans was a 4 speed with the fourth gear being at .7 ratio so often called " overdrive" gear but it is really just fourth gear these days. I would think more gears would give better choices of downhill engine braking.

The original Chevy brakes did last a long time, but many also had juddering problems, too so mixed bag. The juddering is relatively easy to address.

booster, not sure that I understand. When I accelerate from zero to cruising 70 mph, I'm using 5 distinct gears, you six gears. Right?

"The Chevies have shown to be very reliable over time, with few issues."

After 120K, that has been my experience!

Now the roadtrek is another story............., but I'm ok with it overall.

Bud
Old 12-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have a 2007 RT210 Versatile that had a bad rear end.
The Ring and Pinion gear set had not been shimmed properly. I contacted my service tech at my Chevrolet Dealer and had the Gearset, Pinion Bearing, Seal, fluid replaced at no charge.

I paid to have the wheel bearings and seals replaced also.

There is a bulletin out on the Chevrolet Express Driveshat that was redesigned.
Chevrolet replaced that also free of charge.

I just had this work completed last month. I began to notice a whining in the rear end this past summer.

210 has 31247 miles on it.

All in all it cost me alittle over $600 for my share of the parts and labor.

Has an enclosed shower as well as a outside shower connection.

The ride is very quiet now and a pleasure to drive. The 210 rides smooth. 6.0 liter engine, 4 speed tranny, getting 16mpg at 65 mph.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
I have a 2007 RT210 Versatile that had a bad rear end.
The Ring and Pinion gear set had not been shimmed properly. I contacted my service tech at my Chevrolet Dealer and had the Gearset, Pinion Bearing, Seal, fluid replaced at no charge.

I paid to have the wheel bearings and seals replaced also.

There is a bulletin out on the Chevrolet Express Driveshat that was redesigned.
Chevrolet replaced that also free of charge.

I just had this work completed lady month. I began to notice a whining in the rear end this past summer.

210 has 31247 miles on it.

All in all it cost me alittle over $600 for my share of the parts and labor.

Has an enclosed shower as well as a outside shower connection.

The ride is very quiet now and a pleasure to drive.
Other than then that the 210 rides smooth. 6.0 liter engine, 4 speed tranny, getting 16mpg at 65 mph.

Interesting information, as we also had the bad rear axle. Our first one failed at about 12K miles and Chevy put in a gearset and bearings. It failed again before 20K miles but we were just out of warranty so I replaced the whole axle with a 10.5" instead of the 9.75" it had. The 10.5 is a full floater and extremely beefy. Wheel hubs run about 40* cooler with floating axles. The issue, as far as I was able to find out, was bad housings so rebuilds would also fail. There apparently was a foundry strike that got them behind production, and the housing required an aging time before machining for the cast iron to stabilize. The skipped the stabilizing because they needed them. It was not a lot of axles and clustered in a narrow range of VIN#s. Jeep also had a bunch of axles with the same issues I read. Yours is of a mileage that I haven't heard of failures so a bit different, I hope it holds up for you. We have run in to a couple other Roadtrek owners that had failures as early as ours, and also multiple times, and GM finally would replace the entire axle. What are the last 4 digits of your VIN to see if they are close to ours.

Do you have any information on the driveshaft changes and what issues they have had? That is a new one to me.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Booster

I will get back to on the vin numbers and I am currently at my PT job playing with 200mph cars.

I was told by Chevrolet that the original driveshaft
would have vibrations at certain speeds and was prone to disconnecting from the U Joint.

FYI
My Ring and Pinion ratio is 4.10.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster

I will get back to on the vin numbers and I am currently at my PT job playing with 200mph cars.

I was told by Chevrolet that the original driveshaft
would have vibrations at certain speeds and was prone to disconnecting from the U Joint.

FYI
My Ring and Pinion ratio is 4.10.

thanks RAA357, it will be interesting. That certainly would we an issue is shaft came off the u-joint. I did a search and didn't find anything on that, just the well know spline sticking clunk stuff. 4.10 is the typical gear in all the four speed units and the 9.75" Dana Super 60 semi floater in all that don't have towing package. Those got the Dana 10.5" Super 70 full floater. I have never had a rear drive that runs as quiet as the used 10.5 I put in. I did get the pattern set by a very good shop I know of as I suck at getting them just right and it checked with a tad too much backlash when I opened it up and checked before install.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Booster

Anyway to e.sil.you direct, reference this topic.

I have a few questions and some other info I was told from Chevrolet.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
booster, not sure that I understand. When I accelerate from zero to cruising 70 mph, I'm using 5 distinct gears, you six gears. Right?

Bud
Bud,
It feels like you have 5 gears because as you accelerate you go through the 4 gears, then in 4th gear the torque converter then locks and the RPMs decrease a little so it "feels" like a 5th gear but it is not.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Bud,
It feels like you have 5 gears because as you accelerate you go through the 4 gears, then in 4th gear the torque converter then locks and the RPMs decrease a little so it "feels" like a 5th gear but it is not.
Thanks peteco and booster.

Just returned from a drive With an RPM gauge (cell phone app). First vehicle without a rpm gauge in many years. Confirmed that top speed would be in third gear, but moot since 4th gear has no problem pulling, reaching the electrically governed top speed 106 or 108, don't recall which it is.

Only used 4th gear to play with the locking stuff, but not enough time/distance to confirm anything. It does behave a little like a CVT when accelerating harder than I would 95% of the time - constant rpm, increasing speed. I was not more curious, so stopped.

Wow, 6 vs 4 speed would sure assist with downshifting scenarios. That would be nice.

Bud
Old 12-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks peteco and booster.

Just returned from a drive With an RPM gauge (cell phone app). First vehicle without a rpm gauge in many years. Confirmed that top speed would be in third gear, but moot since 4th gear has no problem pulling, reaching the electrically governed top speed 106 or 108, don't recall which it is.

Only used 4th gear to play with the locking stuff, but not enough time/distance to confirm anything. It does behave a little like a CVT when accelerating harder than I would 95% of the time - constant rpm, increasing speed. I was not more curious, so stopped.

Wow, 6 vs 4 speed would sure assist with downshifting scenarios. That would be nice.

Bud

Yep, Bud that is what you will see. The near constant rpm and gaining speed is because the torque convert slips when not in lockup and as speed increases it slowly is able to slip less. This is an intentional thing as when it is slipping it is also multiplying torque to the transmission to make it pull better and carry the gear. It does, however, also generate a lot of heat and is why the 4 speeds get too hot and because the cooling for the trans is in the radiator also makes the water get too hot. I am sure you have seen my thread on the reprogramming of the 4 speed to change the shift and lockup points which goes into intimate details of the hows and whys of doing it as well as upsides and downsides.

The 6 speed doesn't heat up much because they don't need as much torque multiplication to get it through the gears as it has more gears to choose from and it does the multiplication with the gearing and leaves the converter locked. Better mileage and less heat.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Booster

Last 4 of my vin. 9501.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #17
Platinum Member

FYI, here are the approximate engine rpm's per mph for the 4 and 6 speed Chevy transmissions. Numbers are based on standard axle ratio's of 4.10 and 3.42 respectively, 657 tire revs per mile (which I think is the right number for a standard 245/75-16 tire; may vary by tire brand/model), and the transmission ratio's I have (4 speed: 2.482, 1.482, 1.000, 0.750; 6 speed: 4.030, 2.360, 1.530, 1.150, 0.850, 0.670). This also assumes that the torque converter is locked up, otherwise the engine rpm is greater.

4 speed: 111.4, 66.5, 44.9, 33.7 engine rpm's per mph

6 speed: 150.9, 88.4, 57.3, 43.1, 31.8, 25.1 engine rpm's per mph

The data says that the 6 speed has a lower (stump puller) 1st gear, and a more leisurely top gear. 3rd & 4th on the 4 speed are quite close to 4th and 5th on the 6 speed.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster

Last 4 of my vin. 9501.

Ours is 5426 so likely a bit earlier than yours. I need to look at the manufacture date on ours and I will post it. I don't know how many per week they were building back then.

Our says 03/07 on the GM sticker, not the Roadtrek sticker. No actual day date that I could find.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
FYI, here are the approximate engine rpm's per mph for the 4 and 6 speed Chevy transmissions. Numbers are based on standard axle ratio's of 4.10 and 3.42 respectively, 657 tire revs per mile (which I think is the right number for a standard 245/75-16 tire; may vary by tire brand/model), and the transmission ratio's I have (4 speed: 2.482, 1.482, 1.000, 0.750; 6 speed: 4.030, 2.360, 1.530, 1.150, 0.850, 0.670). This also assumes that the torque converter is locked up, otherwise the engine rpm is greater.

4 speed: 111.4, 66.5, 44.9, 33.7 engine rpm's per mph

6 speed: 150.9, 88.4, 57.3, 43.1, 31.8, 25.1 engine rpm's per mph

The data says that the 6 speed has a lower (stump puller) 1st gear, and a more leisurely top gear. 3rd & 4th on the 4 speed are quite close to 4th and 5th on the 6 speed.
dicktill, looked the numbers I wrote down earlier, but I had not gotten around to compute the ratio's. They were very close to what you posted above for the 4 speed. Sure would like to add the 6 speed 2nd gear for downshifting, it would make a very noticeable difference.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I think one of the most important things if you have a 4L80E or a 6L80 / 6L90 Chevy transmission is that you use a GM licensed synthetic DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-VI atf is backward compatible to all other DEXRON atf fluids.
Check here for GM licensed DEXRON-VI fluids: https://www.drive2.com/b/501010341333828015/
Just because it is listed on the label does not mean it licenced!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote