Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #1
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 89
Default Roadtrek BBQ connection pressure?

I picked up a portable BBQ that is meant to run on 1 lb propane bottles that I would like to connect to my auxiliary BBQ connection. What "should" the BBQ pressure regulator have been when the Roadtrek left the factory? How about the System regulator?
My intention is to remove the regulator/control knob from the BBQ and use a Camco 57638 kit. I'd like to hear from somebody has done this before so that I can learn from their experience!
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM57638.html
Thanks, Steve
__________________

Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I picked up a portable BBQ that is meant to run on 1 lb propane bottles that I would like to connect to my auxiliary BBQ connection. What "should" the BBQ pressure regulator have been when the Roadtrek left the factory? How about the System regulator?
My intention is to remove the regulator/control knob from the BBQ and use a Camco 57638 kit. I'd like to hear from somebody has done this before so that I can learn from their experience!
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM57638.html
Thanks, Steve

If it is like our 07 190 is there are two regulators with the first regulating to 10psi for grille quick connect fitting behind the rear bumper. Most literature says 15psi but our original and the replacement both checked at 10psi. This is not high enough to run many of the small bottle based appliances that need high pressure and they will not get hot enough, and it is too high for low pressure units that want something like 11" of gas pressure. Our Magna grille does work on the 10 psi, but I had to get a heat control regulator that has a screw under the knob so it is adjustable for range.


The other is the rest of the system regulator and runs at the .3-.5 psi range, IIRC.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #3
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 89
Default

This is great information, you have confirmed a few things I was pondering. I think my 2004 Popular 190 has a 14 or 15 psi regulator as it was replaced due to external leakage many years ago.
It seems that I should retain the regulator on my little BBQ and use a non-regulated adapter hose. Is that what you did with your grill?
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...6-120-MBS.html

Most of the information I was able to find on this subject was related to trailers that have a single regulator attached to their replaceable DOT propane tank so it didn't seem applicable to a Class B with built-in ASME tank and multiple regulators.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:57 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
This is great information, you have confirmed a few things I was pondering. I think my 2004 Popular 190 has a 14 or 15 psi regulator as it was replaced due to external leakage many years ago.
It seems that I should retain the regulator on my little BBQ and use a non-regulated adapter hose. Is that what you did with your grill?
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...6-120-MBS.html

Most of the information I was able to find on this subject was related to trailers that have a single regulator attached to their replaceable DOT propane tank so it didn't seem applicable to a Class B with built-in ASME tank and multiple regulators.

Many of the bottle grills will not run on the lower pressure, Coleman for one unless they have changed. Our Coleman Fold-N-Go is also not suited as it comes from Coleman. I think it may be because they have a flashback mess in the orifice fitting to prevent flashback fires and that restricts the flow too much.



Your's may actually be 10 psi, as our factory one had a 15psi tag on it, but checked at 10spi, that is why I replaced it, but the new one from Roadtrek was unmarked and tested at 10psi also.


We have a long, 15' hose on ours to the sort of regulator that grills use for the heat control knob. They are a very basic design mainly to help smooth out tank pressure variations. The primary orifice was big enough, but the heat control didn't open far enough for the lower pressure. I got a regulator for one of the other, larger, Magma grilles that was adjustable for range of open with a set screw under the knob that just pushed on the diaphram. Tweaked it until we got the range we wanted for the things we cook. A grille parts store would probably have the same regulator, depending on the grille connection.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:40 AM   #5
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 89
Default

I just learned something else with this seemingly simple project. Most RV type propane quick disconnects are really low pressure like 0.5 PSI which is down in the inches of water column range.

I will have to go out to the storage lot and see if I can figure out what the Part # is on the quick disconnect on the van and see if I can match it. From there I will need a female POL fitting and a male quick connect to finish this off.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:58 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I just learned something else with this seemingly simple project. Most RV type propane quick disconnects are really low pressure like 0.5 PSI which is down in the inches of water column range.

I will have to go out to the storage lot and see if I can figure out what the Part # is on the quick disconnect on the van and see if I can match it. From there I will need a female POL fitting and a male quick connect to finish this off.

I am pretty sure the one in the Roadtrek is considered high pressure because it is above the 11", .5psi of the low pressure appliances. The gas company calls a line into the house high pressure also and it is something like 5 psi and requires a regulator for running appliances. Roadtrek always told folks to buy the high pressure appliances for the quick disconnect, but not all of them would work.


On edit--this guy shows pix and ratings of the two styles so makes it easier to tell them apart. I will look at ours tomorrow as we connect to the Roadtrek QD with it.


He says you can't use two regulators, but you can. Roadtrek uses one to get to the QD and we have a regulator on our grille with no issues, just had to adjust the setpoint which you can do on some of them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #7
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 21
Default Just connect

On our 2015 Roadtrek Agile, we just needed the right hose to connect our BBQ: one end fits the quick-connect on the van, the other matches the threads of the canister normally used. Works perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHTB9P3/
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:22 AM   #8
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 89
Default

I wish it was that easy but my van has had a few owners before me. I found a 1/2 PSI rated Hansen Gas Mate quick connect attached to my van so it has got to go. I think I am going to get "5LPN" type quick connects as they are rated for high pressure.

This would work well on the van side:
https://mbsturgis.com/products/5lpn-...ct-x-1-4-fnpt/

This would work well on the BBQ side as I have a 12 foot POL hose to connect the BBQ to a 100 lb tank.
https://mbsturgis.com/products/5lpn-fill-plug/

Never trust the previous owner of you RV for anything.
__________________

Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×