Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 11:34 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
My van has the 70S with an open differential (GT4) and as you can see the rating is the same at 6084 which matches the tires. In theory, the tires are rated for it so they should be able to do the job as long as you put your vehicle across a scale to confirm you are within limits from time to time. I don't know what the safety margin is for tires or how much it varies by manufacturer.
I would be surprised if any of the 170s or 190s came without the trailer hitch because there is a shroud attached to it that protects parts of the propane system on the passenger side.
My van also has the KD1 transmission cooler but it is nothing more than the cooler built into the radiator. I added the Dorman 918-290 as mentioned. https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-97695-918-290.aspx
The transmission cooler hose selection on these vans is a bit nutty, you may want to buy all types of hoses available and then return the ones you don't use. The beauty of this cooler and the factory lines associated with it is that you can get nice steel hoses all of the way to the front of your vehicle without a bunch of loose rubber hose. They do make plug-in hose barb adapters that you can use to tie in an additional external cooler using this setup.

The towing package term is a carryover from the base GM vehicle that Roadtrek buys, so it has nothing to do with the hitch even though called towing package. It includes the 70s axle with Govloc locking mechanism and the small GM trans cooler. All Roadtreks got hitches, I think, but most were not tow package vehicles.

GT4 is the RPO code for a 3.73 gear ratio, so that would be the first one I have heard of without the 4.10 gears. (I just looked at the Roadtrek brochures and 2004 190 was 3.73 like the 170, by 2005 they moved to the 4.10 for the 190) This would be odd on a towing package, normally, as they usually come with the deeper gears. The GT4 does not determine if it is an open differential or not AFAIK. That would be controlled by the RPO code G80. If it has a G80 RPO code it has a locker in it and if it doesn't have that code, it would be open. It might also carry a Z82 code which is listed as trailering HD but it may be different or not there.

It is always a good idea to take a pic of the RPO code sticker and look them all up. Sometimes you get some surprises on how the vehicle is equipped.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote