Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 03:08 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Chevrolet Popular 190 Max Tire Size?

I had a tire tear/shift a belt last night and luckily it didn't explode but I am now in the market for 5 tires.

Has anybody figured out the max tire size that fits in the rear tire carrier and the storage area under the bed? It feels like there's only 1 finger of space between the tire and the door with a stock tire fully inflated under the bed.

I am open for ideas on tires. I'd like to have something that is mainly a highway tire but wouldn't shred to pieces in Alaska or the territories if I decided to drive to the North Pole. We typically cruise at 75 mph and like most people we run at max weight.

The tire that crapped out on me was a HiFly that was just starting to get cracks in it and about 50% worn. The tread has quite the lump in it...probably sticking up an inch on one side.
Cheers, Steve
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a 2005 210, not a 190. However the OE tires for both are 245/75x16. I upgraded to 265/75x16, they will not fit under the bed in the rear. I had to modify the carrier to accept the larger tire and the stainless ring cover does not fit either. I used a grey vinyl cover in the larger size and bolted the fiberglass to the mount upright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT Spare Tire 004.jpg (117.3 KB, 34 views)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I have a 2005 210, not a 190. However the OE tires for both are 245/75x16. I upgraded to 265/75x16, they will not fit under the bed in the rear.
It may depend on the production year because our 2017 210 accepts a 265/75x16 on a 7 inch rim under the power sofa.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I ( and others) have written our impressions of the michelin agilis

MOST of us are looking for handling, low road noise and ride comfort

if you wanna go to the north pole on shingle, then select another tire.

but for paved road use, and dirt/gravel the agilis is good.

I was tremendously impressed when I hit deep standing water at speed and had no hydroplaning problems

I have the 245/75/16 on my chev based pleasureway.

US price OTD was $760ish w/ rebates and stuff

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post

The tire that crapped out on me was a HiFly that was just starting to get cracks in it and about 50% worn. The tread has quite the lump in it...probably sticking up an inch on one side.
Cheers, Steve
I don’t know what a HiFly is but it doesn’t sound like a tire from a top tier company. Stick with a quality tire from one of the big boys: Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a 2005 210, not a 190. However the OE tires for both are 245/75x16. I upgraded to 265/75x16, they will not fit under the bed in the rear. I had to modify the carrier to accept the larger tire and the stainless ring cover does not fit either. I used a grey vinyl cover in the larger size and bolted the fiberglass to the mount upright.

That is pretty interesting, as we also have the size mismatch with the spare on our Roadtrek. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the vinyl was a very close match on the color. Was that luck or somehow matched?

A source for the cover would also be nice, as it looks like a good way around the problem.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:06 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Thank you for all of the info. I am just looking at the data for my 2004 and it looks like it has 16x6.5" wheels so they are a touch narrow for 265/75R16s which call for a 7" wide wheel. Did any installers mention this?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for all of the info. I am just looking at the data for my 2004 and it looks like it has 16x6.5" wheels so they are a touch narrow for 265/75R16s which call for a 7" wide wheel. Did any installers mention this?
IMO, no reputable installer would install a 265/75R16 on a 6.5" wheel. The minimum required rim width is 7" and are available. However, what's not easy to find are aluminum wheels with the OEM 24-28 mm offset. The alternative is to use GM Silverado steel 7" rims.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yeah, it seemed like I'd be going down a path that was going to cause me problems up front and additional later on. The bigger tires are nice because of the higher weight rating and height but not totally necessary.

Anyway, I bought Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tires in LT245/75R16. They are a rock tire with decent tread so I should be suitable for what I want to do. My experience with Cooper tires is that they get hard when they are old which makes it hard to stop on wet surfaces. Some other brands dry rot and others explode...
Old 06-25-2021, 12:07 AM   #10
Platinum Member

We have discussed the need for wider wheels many, many times on this forum as the stock wheels are not wide enough. There are Silverado wheels that are 16X7 with the right offset that work well and are what most of us went to.

I agree, no reputable shop should put the 265 tires on the stock wheels.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:37 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I think on a 190 the wider, higher load capacity, tires are not super critical, although we do here of rear blowouts fairly regularly. On 210s which most are near/at/over on rear axle weight (which is at max load for the tires also but that is only if the rear load is perfectly balanced side to side which it rarely is) I think it is much more important.

Personally, I like to have 20% extra load capacity above rated, but that is just my choice. We have found our larger tires run nice and cool, hold the road very well, and have given no issues at all.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:25 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is pretty interesting, as we also have the size mismatch with the spare on our Roadtrek. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the vinyl was a very close match on the color. Was that luck or somehow matched?
A source for the cover would also be nice, as it looks like a good way around the problem.
IIRC the cover was listed as silver grey, I was pleased it is a good match. I don't recall, but think I found it on Walmart.com. I discovered too late the need to wrap the tire with plastic, at least with a new tire. Oils from the tire show through the vinyl over a short time.

Quote:
I did not think to mention it. However, I replaced the 16x7" aluminum wheels from R/T that are the wrong offset with the correct 16x7" Chevy wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
It may depend on the production year because our 2017 210 accepts a 265/75x16 on a 7 inch rim under the power sofa.
I failed to mention mine has the twin beds. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT wheels 001.jpg (130.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Years ago I also made the change to 265 tires (07C210P Roadtrek), and steel wheels, mainly to increase the safety factor of not being so close to the top rated limit.

For the spare on the rear door, I just used an Adco black wheel cover and used the supplied elastic cord to tie it to the hitch. Also use a couple of binder clips at the bottom to take up some of the loosness. (I wanted to insert an image of the cover, but the forum asks me for the image URL instead of letting me browse for an image on the C: drive.)

However, I do like the idea of using the fiberglass cover, as shown above, which now sits in the workshop attic. If not too much trouble, how did you attach the fiberglass cover to the steel upright?
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I drilled and tapped for a 3/8" bolt, glued fender washers on both sides of the cover. I double nutted the bolt so that it stops against the upright just as the cover is firm against the tire. That also captures the bolt and keeps it from getting misplaced.
If I ever redo it, I will use a "Rod Coupling Nut" of the correct length and a shorter bolt. That way you could see through the hole in the cover to align the bolt.

If you expand the picture of mine you can clearly see the bolt head and outer washer.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I like the idea of using the fiberglass spare tire cover but am having a hard time understanding how you connected it. Hope you don’ mind more explanation to help me understand.
Quote:
I drilled and tapped for a 3/8" bolt,
The steel upright was drilled and tapped? Drilled through both sides of the upright?

Quote:
I double nutted the bolt so that it stops against the upright just as the cover is firm against the tire
I think I understand this. The double nuts are on the bolt, between the cover and the upright. The bolt is tightened until the double nut contacts the upright.

Quote:
If I ever redo it, I will use a "Rod Coupling Nut" of the correct length and a shorter bolt. That way you could see through the hole in the cover to align the bolt.
. I can’t visualize this. How is the coupling nut held in place to see through it to line up the cover hole? Now you have many more threads to screw the bolt through to get to the upright. Is it that difficult to line up the double nutted bolt?
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #16

Default 2007 190 with optional 4WD

I wonder if someone could answer a question about the optional aluminum wheels that came on my 2007 190V Roadtrek, which has 7" wide wheels? I am planning on installing LT 265 MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on my vehicle. I understand that my wheels may have a different offset than the steel Silverado steel wheels. Is there a problem and what is the problem with using this aluminum wheel? If it is required to go to a steel wheel, what year Silverado do I look for? Thanks in advance
daytonabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
I like the idea of using the fiberglass spare tire cover but am having a hard time understanding how you connected it. Hope you don’ mind more explanation to help me understand.
The steel upright was drilled and tapped? Drilled through both sides of the upright?

I just drilled through the outside surface. It is thick enough to hold the bolt.

I think I understand this. The double nuts are on the bolt, between the cover and the upright. The bolt is tightened until the double nut contacts the upright.

Correct.

. I can’t visualize this. How is the coupling nut held in place to see through it to line up the cover hole? Now you have many more threads to screw the bolt through to get to the upright. Is it that difficult to line up the double nutted bolt?
I would use a short piece of threaded rod to attach the coupling nut to the upright and a short bolt through the cover into the coupling nut. That way you can look through the hole in the cover and see the hole in the nut easily.
And no, it is not that hard to align the cover to get the bolt in the upright. It would just be easier.
On reflection, a stud or piece of threaded rod of the correct length permanently threaded into the upright and use an acorn nut to hold the cover in place might be a better solution.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonabeachbum View Post
I wonder if someone could answer a question about the optional aluminum wheels that came on my 2007 190V Roadtrek, which has 7" wide wheels? I am planning on installing LT 265 MICHELIN Agilis CrossClimate on my vehicle. I understand that my wheels may have a different offset than the steel Silverado steel wheels. Is there a problem and what is the problem with using this aluminum wheel? If it is required to go to a steel wheel, what year Silverado do I look for? Thanks in advance

Do you know if the 4 wheel drive uses the same wheels as a rear drive?
Might make a difference in recommendations.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Response to Roadtreker357 question.

I put the tire cover on backwards, so the side toward the van is covered and the upright is exposed except it is covered by the OE fiberglass cover.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #20

Yes, the 4WD does use the same wheels as a rear drive. In fact, when you ordered the optional aluminum wheels, the spare was a standard steel wheel.
daytonabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote