Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 04:12 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek e-trek macerator problem

Went to pump out for first time tonight on our new-to-us 2018 E-trek. Macerator will not turn on. No noise at all. I have the lithium batteries on, the inverter is on, even turned the engine on but nothing happens when we push the red button. Checked the yellow fuse for "waste water pump" and it looks ok but not sure if that means anything. Tried turning the manual wastewater pump knob. It turns easily counterclockwise, but hits obstruction after turning clockwise a bit. Not sure if this means there is an obstruction and if so, is that enough to make the macerator not even turn on?? It is hard to get a grip on the knob to turn it with much force, are pliers an alternative?? Thanks.
cnairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

"Typical" macerators use rubber impellers that are compressed inside making them bend slightly away from the direction of rotation. So if you try and turn them the opposite way, it could make for resistance as they try to bend "backwards".

If it turns easily in one direction it is probably not jammed. I'd pull & swap the fuse, flip all breakers fully off then back on, and look underneath for loose wires.

When I got my "b" I had the opposite problem. Macerator ran but did not pump. My rubber impellers were toast. I could have rebuilt it, but didn't want the messy job so I just replaced it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you can get to the macerator switch contacts reasonably easy, it would be a good place to start. Check for 12v to the switch with meter and also 12 back out of the switch with button pushed. If you have power there and out, you have narrowed it down to either wiring to the macerator or the motor on the macerator. Any of the Roadtrek macerators that have the manual knob are susceptible to water getting into the motor is submerged or heavily splashed as the rod goes directly into the motor with less than stellar sealing, unless they changed things on the newest models. I can't say for your model, but Roadtrek also put the macerators upside down on the Chevies, which could also be an issue if yours is similar.

Unfortunately, you may be in for a bit of work under the van or a trip to the repair shop if you do have power to the switch. Did you buy from a dealer with any kind of warranty on it?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote