Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Question Roadtrek questions about electric

I am new to the rv world. I am currently in the market for a class B diesel on a Mercedes chassis. The models I am most focused on are the Pleasure Way Plateau TS and the Roadtrek Adventurous CS. The salesman vigorously pointed me towards the pleasure way, indicating that the old school technology of propane for generator, heat, etc. is far superior to Roadtrek's all electric. One main point was that if you are camping off the power grid, the air-conditioner is likely to drain all the power before the hot night is over. Can members please advise me on the Roadtrek versus the Pleasure Way? Many thanks, Rob
rob_mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mtns View Post
I am new to the rv world. I am currently in the market for a class B diesel on a Mercedes chassis. The models I am most focused on are the Pleasure Way Plateau TS and the Roadtrek Adventurous CS. The salesman vigorously pointed me towards the pleasure way, indicating that the old school technology of propane for generator, heat, etc. is far superior to Roadtrek's all electric. One main point was that if you are camping off the power grid, the air-conditioner is likely to drain all the power before the hot night is over. Can members please advise me on the Roadtrek versus the Pleasure Way? Many thanks, Rob
In established campground few will allow running a generator during night time quiet hours so it is a fallacy that you can run an air conditioner and generator all night. You might try it once and then forever think smart in what kind of camping weather you try. In a off-grid boondocking situation I think it ridiculous to seek the serenity of nature and then despoil it with air conditioners and generators.

You are right in that Roadtrek will not be able to run air conditioning all night. With an 800ah battery you may eke out 5 hours before replenishing your batteries with their under hood generator but then it is a death spiral in replenishing.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #3

Thank you very much
Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If this is a newer unit, ignoring the salesman's point on power sources, the build quality of the Pleasureway is better than the current Roadtreks. If you are looking at an older unit, build quality is more equal.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #5

Good input. Thank you
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Chart for newcomers

A while back I put this spread sheet together and just finished it. It is approximate but it could help newcomers to digest energy requirements for RV appliances.

It is clear that to power water and space heating by a battery bank would be outside of a reasonable price.

There is a good reason why most of RV still use LPG as a primary source of energy. If someone must have AC I believe that camping spot with access to shore power is the best choice, for all other power hogs LPG or diesel are unbeatable.

Recharging by solar, shore power, or alternator are not included in this chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Energy consumptions 8 2017.jpg (228.0 KB, 52 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Energy consumptions 8 2017.pdf (422.9 KB, 48 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

Thumbs up

George
Thank you for this information. I can't read the spreadsheet or download it. Could you email it to me, rmm_uf_75@hotmail.com?

Rob

Tags
pleasure-way, roadtrek