Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #41
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprevill View Post
Hello GeorgeB, do you have an update on that ? Just got a new Sprinter XL Flex from Safari Condo, incredible machine. They modified it so I can drive and sleep with wife and my 3 kids. There is a bench under the motorized bed (like the one in the XL Plus) to sit/sleep 2 more people. The only thing that is missing to be perfect is an underhood generator !
you can get an aftermarket underhood generator.
(google "dual alternator kit")

What you cannot get is the Roadtrek Voltstart, it's the proprietary controller that automatically starts the engine to charge your battery when the voltage falls below a certain level.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:28 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello GeorgeB, do you have an update on that ? Just got a new Sprinter XL Flex from Safari Condo, incredible machine. They modified it so I can drive and sleep with wife and my 3 kids. There is a bench under the motorized bed (like the one in the XL Plus) to sit/sleep 2 more people. The only thing that is missing to be perfect is an underhood generator !
That sounds like a nice setup for 5. I'm curious. Does the 3rd child sleep over the cab seats? I'd love to see a picture of the back. Thanks.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Thinking about Volt Start... I think for us anyway an underhood generator (and inverter) would most likely be enough. We don't have pets that would be at risk if the van got to hot without AC running, and I could easily monitor battery levels and start the underhood when needed. Even could get remote start to start the motor from a key thob if needed. Similar to sailboats, you monitor the battery levels and use and run the engine to re-charge as needed. If I bought a RoadTrek I would most likely get it just for re-sale purposes but for us at least it's not a must have.

However, not having a typical generator really makes a lot of sense to me. Not having to run and maintain a generator would be great. Also, it frees up space for the spare tire under the rear instead of below the bed or on a swing out. Especially given that for us we would most likely use the van on weekends, maybe one week long trip a season, and would need to pay for storage (we live in a city). Most of the time (99%) we would be staying in campgrounds with at least water and electric, however using the van as a base camp at trail heads and fishing streams it would be nice to be able to run the AC without being plugged in (my wife has health issues with heat). The whole base camp usage is one of the reasons I want a B instead of a larger unit or trailer. I want to be able to get up in the morning from home and go hiking or fishing and park the van in a spot during the day (no overnight). If my wife isn't feeling well she can enjoy the drive and being out of the house and can hang out in the van with AC on (if it's too hot for open doors and windows to cool the van), call her friends, watch TV, etc.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #44
BBQ
Platinum Member

If you only want the AC, then you don't even need to be concerned with the underhood generator. You can start the engine and run the van's AC.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Thats a good point. The Flex layout has the seating area close to the cab so it might be enough for our purposes. The underhood would be after market so if we go the Safari Condo route we could see how the regular AC goes and upgrade if needed. Dont need to solve it all now.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

If you only want the AC, then you don't even need to be concerned with the underhood generator. You can start the engine and run the van's AC.
I totally agree. We hear lot about getting an engine generator to keep the pets cools while folks are gone, but it really isn't needed because of the van AC. For pets, what is really needed is the autostart based on interior temperature, unless you plan to run off the coach batteries with or without engine start.

To me engine generators are more to recover the batteries quickly or to cover a short high use time like a microwave or toaster oven. If you are just running the AC off of batteries when you are not there, with no autostart, then the engine generator is needed to recover the batteries, but if you are just starting the engine to run the coach air off the engine generator, you can do the same with the van AC and wouldn't even need the engine generator.

The only benefit of using the engine generator for the coach AC would be if you have a lot of batteries (at least 400-500ah) and autostart. Then the AC can run on batteries for quite a while, the engine will start and recharge them, and you can run on batteries again for a while. That way the engine will run more like 1/2 the time you have the AC on.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:

I hope you mean a keyless autostart system that can't be defeated by someone with intent to enter your vehicle and drive off. Also, keep in mind, it is illegal in many communities to idle an unoccupied vehicle.

Personally, I think it is rather dicey to leave pets unattended in a vehicle. An air conditioner running, even on batteries, is going to attract curious passerbys and if they see a pet they might call authorities. Then you will have an ensuing brouha.

We have a cat. We don't leave her unattended in conditions that might require air conditioning. We did so only one time but that was in a private campground on shore power with CG notification. She is such a fraidy cat she immediately goes under our beds to her hidey hole when we stop anywhere.

As for relying on an auto start system to get you through a night with air conditioning, I find it very rude in a campground to run an engine in the middle of the night in a campground. The sound is irritatingly different than air conditioners which I don't care for either. It is not the decibel levels, it is the interrupting unexpectedness. Our Advanced RV Autogen system can be programmed so it won't start during campground quiet hours.

I prefer the under hood second alternator for many reasons which I think will eventually supplant the idea of the Onan generators in Class Bs.

1. Saves weight
2. Frees up space under the van for other uses
3. Frees the requirement of propane in diesel powered vans
4. Eliminates a second combustible engine in a van requiring maintenance
5. More reliable
6. Takes away undesigned load from the engine alternator.
7. Charges faster than an Onan or engine alternator
8. Most likely necessary for high amp hour battery assemblies
9. Enhances boondocking situations, IMO

On edit. I knew I would miss one. It is always nice to round out to ten.

10. Underhood second alternators should cost less than Onans.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #48
Platinum Member

This is good discussion on the engine generator. The more I think about it the less we might need it. Especially with the Flex layout it would be fine with van AC because the seating is so close to the front (almost like a second row of seats in a regular crew van). No need for us to run the microwave when base camped for the day (nights most likely at a campground).

Now the only issue with Safari Condo is coordinating the lead times... to plan for next season I would need to start now.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #49
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Quote:

I hope you mean a keyless autostart system that can't be defeated by someone with intent to enter your vehicle and drive off. Also, keep in mind, it is illegal in many communities to idle an unoccupied vehicle.

Personally, I think it is rather dicey to leave pets unattended in a vehicle. An air conditioner running, even on batteries, is going to attract curious passerbys and if they see a pet they might call authorities. Then you will have an ensuing brouha.

::
My post was in answering to the previous poster's question that his wife wants to stay in the van by the water side when he's briefly gone fishing.

Your points are still good though.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Congratulations for your new "Family Model" XL Flex! No I haven't asked Safari Condo yet about the underhood gen. Guess it will be easier to install on the Sprinter than the ProMaster. Looking forward to see some photos of your set-up.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
That sounds like a nice setup for 5. I'm curious. Does the 3rd child sleep over the cab seats? I'd love to see a picture of the back. Thanks.
Yes 2 on the mechanical bed (the left and right side of that bed matress will be modofied to flip couple of inches in the center of the bed to make sure the plateform can go has high as possible to get more head room while driving

Two can sleep on the bench that transform into a bed

... And the last one sleeping on a thrid bed made with the two front seat and a small center table !

I'll get the van in november, i'll post an update after that with pictures. I did a lot of research finding a way to fit 2 adults and three kids in a Sprinter or a Promaster and this is the best way to do it. I did not find any van on the market that can fit our familly (with the exception of the safari condo gmc pop up van called LSX that can fit 2 kids in the roof)
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #52
Platinum Member

You might want to order the "rear heat/AC" option with your Promaster. It will allow you to install engine heat/ac in the rear (aftermarket) and drive it from the engine.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes 2 on the mechanical bed (the left and right side of that bed matress will be modofied to flip couple of inches in the center of the bed to make sure the plateform can go has high as possible to get more head room while driving

Two can sleep on the bench that transform into a bed

... And the last one sleeping on a thrid bed made with the two front seat and a small center table !

I'll get the van in november, i'll post an update after that with pictures. I did a lot of research finding a way to fit 2 adults and three kids in a Sprinter or a Promaster and this is the best way to do it. I did not find any van on the market that can fit our familly (with the exception of the safari condo gmc pop up van called LSX that can fit 2 kids in the roof)
Did you get your van yet?
Old 12-22-2016, 03:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Did you get your van yet?
Yes!

It is amazing ! There is so much room in it we dont need any additional storage for 5 ! All kids clothes fits in the cabinets. It is really well done. Safari Condo are so good to make every corner a useful space. The bathroom is also very big. It has the space to add a porta potti when the van in "winter mode". Here is two pictures of the two back beds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beds.jpg (171.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg beds2.jpg (181.5 KB, 111 views)
pprevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:03 AM   #55

Please post more picks of your van specially the bench/bed ( can't quite see the bottom bed from your photos) and the front seats that convert into a bed. Thanks
96RT190V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes!

It is amazing ! There is so much room in it we dont need any additional storage for 5 ! All kids clothes fits in the cabinets. It is really well done. Safari Condo are so good to make every corner a useful space. The bathroom is also very big. It has the space to add a porta potti when the van in "winter mode". Here is two pictures of the two back beds.
Thanks for the picture. Did they modify the bed above to give more headroom to the bench below? It looks similar to the standard XL Flex bed.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 AM   #57
Bronze Member

Any Safari Condo owners care to comment on the build quality of their vans? I've interested into the Promaster FLEX XL21.
JohnMFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #58
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMFlores View Post
Any Safari Condo owners care to comment on the build quality of their vans? I've interested into the Promaster FLEX XL21.
Georges Labrecque is the man to speak to. He has written very extensively about Safari Condo and has a Facebook page devoted to it.

Advance time is one year. I have been in contact with them. That's just too long to wait, for our purposes.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
Georges Labrecque is the man to speak to. He has written very extensively about Safari Condo and has a Facebook page devoted to it.

Advance time is one year. I have been in contact with them. That's just too long to wait, for our purposes.
Yes, I'm a Safari Condo fan because I own the first XL FLEX that was built back in 2014 and I wouldn't replace it with any other vehicle available worldwide! It fits our van lifestyle perfectly.

Like all owners of RV I've had some minor repairs, mostly due to equipment malfunction under manufacturer warranty. Replaced the fantastic fan controls, Mach 8 AC fan blade, shower faucet hose.

We also had to modify certain components due to the evolution of the design of the van. The main drain was repositioned to allow lifting the vehicle, the rear doors straps were repositioned, the front panels of the Nova Kool fridges were replaced, the panels at the back of the van were modified to make the rear lights buld easier to replace, the caulking around the windows was done with a more flexible sealant.

I've also upgraded some elements. Added a Fantastic fan cover, had a Trimetric meter installed with a master cut-off switch for the battery bank, added a new base for the table pole on the dinette floor and installed Froli bed spring system.

When you own an RV you have to realize that it's a house on wheels, it needs maintenance. I also knew that buying the "gold master" release of the build might require some adjustments, but I was surprised how few changes they made to the original design. They are a very reputable familiy owned business which explain the popularity of their products.

My facebook page KAMPERVAN FB
https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfun?ref=hl

which I use to feed my KAMPERVAN Flipboard magazine
https://flipboard.com/@gogeorges/kampervan-u5qd3sehy

The complete album of our van:
https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...docom/n-MNSpq/

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMFlores View Post
We absolutely love our Promaster XL Flex that we took delivery of last October. Over 7000 miles so far, boondocking essentially every night. No issues whatsoever. Beautiful quality finish out. Really like the Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus tankless/instant hot water heater (hot water in seconds), the toasty Webasto furnace, the spacious wet bath, the two refrigerators, 2000 watt inverter (runs microwave, Vitamix, toaster and hair dryer), side and rear screens, awning windows with built in blackout and mosquito screens, 4 solar panels, and especially the below the bed garage with room for 4 bikes inside. Top notch company.