Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Safari Condo Promaster MX

I just picked up my Safari Condo Promaster MX and drove it home from Quebec City, Quebec. Thought some might be interested since they are rare in the US with only one other in IL and two on order for delivery in 2016 and 2017. I delivered the diesel Promaster to Safari Condo in late Sep and it took them about 6 weeks to complete the van. It took me two long days to drive the 1350 miles back from Canada to Alabama. Below is a pic taken at the Alabama welcome center next to the Saturn I rocket.

Several more pics in my driveway.

On the way back I stopped at a truck stop and had the van weighed. With a full tank of diesel and me not in the driver seat, the weight was exactly 7000lbs. The conversion added about 1800 lbs to the van. I averaged 24.5mpg on the trip home after averaging 27mpg driving the empty van to Canada.
I am looking forward to making use of this new camper.
35603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats!

Yes, I'm sure people will be interested as I've seen the question of how to get a Safari Condo in the US asked before.

With 24.5 mpg I'm sure you'll use it as often as you can.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Safari condo family

Congratulations!

Very cute vehicle. Is it the first MX Safari Condo that will live in the US?

Saw one on the street the other day. The MX that's heading south that will star in a Go-Van film.

https://www.facebook.com/12310412785...e=3&permPage=1

We bought the first XL Flex that came out of the plant and love it. Enjoying every moments, like this fabulous boondocking we did in the Magdalen Islands.
The complete album at:
https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...docom/n-MNSpq/

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Bronze Member

GeorgeB,
Thanks! My MX is the second one in the US with 2 more on order as of the end of last month. I really like your Flex, saw one on the showroom floor in Levis. The pics you posted of your Flex on the Promaster forum influenced me to look at Safari Condo and eventually buy one. I am looking forward to taking trips like your boondocking in the Magdalen Islands.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

wow. beautiful color..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:35 AM   #6
Platinum Member

How are you diggin' the twin refrigerators?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #7
Bronze Member

I have only owned the van for a week so I haven't had a chance to use the refrigerators. I do a lot of camping with a group of friends who usually ride bikes and tent camp. We cook a lot so the 7cf refrigerators will come in handy. Also like to tailgate at Alabama games and end up cooking a lot. Really am looking forward to our first camping trip next month.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Is there any privacy when using that toilet?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Bronze Member

There is a sliding curtain between the toilet and the front cab area. Of course all the windows have sliding shades.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Yeah....pass.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Bronze Member

99% of the time I am alone so not a big deal for me....
Old 01-04-2016, 03:02 AM   #12

I am also interested in Safari Condo. I take that you are buying a US spec Promaster and have Safari Condo do the build up, is that right? Can you claim back Canadian gst, pst and do you have to pay tax and duty at the US border when you bring your RV back? Is tax only charged on the build portion by Safari Condo? Interested in your buying experience if you don't mind sharing.
mylai996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Sir,
Yes I bought a Promaster in the US and drove it to Quebec for the conversion. Safari Condo have some basic options they require on the van, but not many. My van had more options but it didn't interfere with the conversion.
When I crossed the border, driving to Quebec, the Canadian border agent asked my reason for entering Canada. I explained exactly what would happen to the van and his only concern was that I wasn't going to leave the van permanently in Canada. I dropped the van at Safari and flew home.
When the van was completed in about 6-7 weeks I flew back to Quebec and took delivery of the van. I drove the van to the border crossing at thousand Islands and told the US border agent the van was converted in Canada. His concern was did I owned the van and was it registered in the US, but didn't ask to see my registration (he could see my Alabama license plate). He did question me at length about the conversion and asked me three times why I didn't get this done in the US. He never asked about cost, required me to complete any paperwork or pay any taxes or duty.
Safari has a set price for their conversion in Canadian dollars. They did not add any taxes to that price so I didn't pay Canadian taxes unless it is built into the price. They only markup was for options and an additional charge of about $1000US which they say was to compensate for the poor exchange rate on items they purchased in the US. So after their small markup and what the bank charges to change money you can save about 20%.
I will say that the folks at Safari Condo were very easy to deal with, very friendly and accomplished what they promised on time.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
Bronze Member

These are VERY nicely done units. I'd never heard of them, being from western Canada, but saw a brand new one touring Canada in the fall. It was the one with the elevating bed. The proud couple gave me a mini tour. VERY nice as I said.
Wish I was able to buy one with US $, as us Canucks don't have that advantage going for us. Still going to consider it but for next year or later
Anyway, congrats on your new baby
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #15

Hi 35603,

Thank you for the details in your experience crossing the borders. I really liked the Safari Condo's design but there are limited videos on youtube to really show off their B vans-most of them are terribly short and not really showing off the entire van like leisure or pleasureway's video do. With that, how do you compare the fit and finish/material with other Canadian manufacturers e.g. leisure travel, pleasureway and roadtrek? Love to hear you impressions and thanks again for providing your experience!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylai996 View Post
Hi 35603,

Thank you for the details in your experience crossing the borders. I really liked the Safari Condo's design but there are limited videos on youtube to really show off their B vans-most of them are terribly short and not really showing off the entire van like leisure or pleasureway's video do. With that, how do you compare the fit and finish/material with other Canadian manufacturers e.g. leisure travel, pleasureway and roadtrek? Love to hear you impressions and thanks again for providing your experience!
If you are interested I posted a complete album of our first 2 years with our great Safari Condo XL Flex. We canceled an order for a Roadtrek when Safari Condo decided to go ahead with the build on the Promaster. Much better fit and finish and overall great design from a reputable family owned company. Of course you now have more than a year of waiting time because their models are so popular, even among US customers.

https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...docom/n-MNSpq/

More on my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #17

Thank you GerogeB. Very nice color on your flex. I am still debating between a 4x4 sprinter and a promaster. Seems like the only reason to go sprinter will be for the 4x4 system but it is a dear price to pay.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:46 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylai996 View Post
Thank you GerogeB. Very nice color on your flex. I am still debating between a 4x4 sprinter and a promaster. Seems like the only reason to go sprinter will be for the 4x4 system but it is a dear price to pay.
I understand your hesitation. I still find the Sprinter is the thoroughbred of high-top vans even if the ProMaster is a very logical option for van conversions: lower price, wider body, lower floor (and center of gravity) and for us the perfect length (21'): a compromise between being urban friendly (we like to mix nature and urban trips) and having enough space for an enclosed bathroom. The 170" WB Sprinter is too long for a standard parking space and the 144" WB presents a real challenge to have an enclosed bathroom and a decent bed if you're over 6'.

Even if we are delighted with our van, we liked the very snug fit of the layout of the Agile we almost bought. I am still interested in finding the ideal layout for the 144 Sprinter, and why not a 4x4 144! My mood board on that quest https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

The ProMaster/Ducato perfect length!

Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
Platinum Member

It's nice to see one of these in the US. I sent you a PM with a few questions. Thanks.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
It's nice to see one of these in the US. I sent you a PM with a few questions. Thanks.
Didn't get your PM.

Keep in mind it's a long shot because there's now a 12 month wait time and you have to buy a US van, leave it for a few weeks and drive the van back in the States. But it's the best B in NA! Agree!

They were saying that eventually if the demand is still strong next year they might consider buying US vans, but they need to ramp up production first.