Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Sealant to use where the roof and body join?

I have a 2001 Roadtrek 190 and the sealant inside the gutter where the fiberglass roof and the body meet is cracked and peeling. What type of sealant and maintenance should be done to prevent water from leaking to the inside?
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I just made a repair like this a few days ago. I'm not sure the very best sealant, but the one I used was Dynaflex 230 Clear. It goes on white, cleans up with water (and can be smoothed and shaped with a wet finger), then turns clear when it is dry.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
Silver Member

Did you remove the old stuff first, or did you just put it on top?
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
Did you remove the old stuff first, or did you just put it on top?
I like most had leaks with an 05/04 Roadtrek 190. And I had enough, so I spoke with Roadtrek with their best guesses? The caulk on the drip rail? was not very suspect, down on the list. I decided No more leaks, but no big deal concerning past leaks. Most were simple enough. Oh, per Roadtrek the caulk could be removed, Not was my experience - very difficult.

I determined that the drivers side Was leaking into the van right through the caulk, I watched, No Doubt. I have not had any leak in years, 6-7? Nope, I looked it up - 7 years ago, September. I caulked the drivers side and with the assistance of a neighbor we removed the awning, caulked that drip rail and replaced the awning.

I am Not suggesting that you use what I chose, only that you may want to consider it. It has worked, and I think, guess that it will last a very long time, long long time. But I do not have Evidence of that. I caulked right over the existing caulk, basically no choice.

Bud

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I recently spent $400 on caulking everythijg with one of my RV guys.

A few months before I added two solar panels & I thought that was the issue.

But it could have been the windshield poorly installed by an excellent guy who then went & did it again, no more problems.

But if I have one, it might be where the awning attaches.

Bottom line; had two guys on the roof checking everywhere only to be told the material the RV guy put on, it took 3 hours, was ineffective & bound to fail sooner than what they use.

My suggestion; go to a Windscreen Replacement biz & ask what they recommend, the heavy duty stuff.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I used a razor to carefully remove the old stuff down to the paint, wiped it down with alcohol to ensure a clean surface, and then applied the new stuff.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #7

I used Proflex RV flexible sealant from Geocel for the driver’s side. Now, I have to remove the awning for the right side. How did you did that?
Clodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #8

Is this sealant only suitable for handling the machine or for larger parts as well? My house needs renovation for a long time, and I don't want to overpay. My neighbor gave me the number of a local siding company, but I'm still hoping to save some money. I could pay for their services in two months, but I have no time to wait, I need to solve this problem now. I've tried a few sealants, but the consistency is more like dry glue. I doubt the sealant should look like this, so I need something more reliable.
Hatrabyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrabyn View Post
My house needs renovation for a long time, and I don't want to overpay.

In most cases on a campervan we are sealing between plastic and fiberglass or a seam between fiberglass ( such as the "cap" of a camper shell) to a steel body on the van
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If you have an awning on your Roadtrek another place that water likes to come in is on the side of the RV at the mounting holes for the mounting hardware for the awning. I also used the Dynoflex 230 except in white when i removed the AC cover to cleanout the AC area and to inspect and service the AC and install a screen to keep flying, crawling, climbing critters out of the AC area and on the awning mounting hole area.
No leaks after 2 years
Old 09-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Try using Dicor Lap Sealant self-leveling, 501LSW. This is what Winnebago uses on a lot of motor homes for roof sealing at junctions. Try to clean off the old caulk and then clean with alcohol for a good clean area.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote