Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default Thor Sequence 20K Fllorplan - anything similar?

We are ex-Westfalia camper van owners, and my wife and I are looking for a new Class B van. We really like the Thor Sequence 20K FLoorplan. We'd like to lean on the collective wisdom here on the forum.

What do you think of this floorplan pro and con?
Arethere commercial alternatives? We're not ready for DIY.



Realizing that everything is a compromise....

What we like about this layout:
The open area as you enter the van. It would be nice to hangout with friends.
The larger galley with decent counter top area - we like to cook.
The larger refrigerator.
The rear bath. We could do without an inside shower though. Several EU manufacturers make outside rear shower enclosures.
Swiveling front seats and flip up table fro the passenger side.
lots of cabinets and drawers for storage.

What we don't like:
The bed seems small - haven't been able to confirm the size, though.
The batteries and generator are under the chassis and will be hard to service.
The black water/grey water access is low and may be subject to damage.
Overall Ram Promaster ground clearance is 6.9".

We'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Tom and Kelly
__________________

W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 930
Default

Tom and Kelly, I like the pictures........

Have you been in one? The closest to me is 500 miles or 600.

The bed size is on the website as I recall, or you can pretty much estimated it from the floorplan. Agree, too small for Ellen and me, but it might work (the combination of features of the entire B).

The onan is under with all, so a neutral. The batteries I think of as No maintenance, just replacement - hopefully?

500 miles is too far, I'll wait. Have fun shopping, and please let us hear more.......

Bud
__________________

Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Tom and Kelly, I like the pictures........

Have you been in one? The closest to me is 500 miles or 600.

The bed size is on the website as I recall, or you can pretty much estimated it from the floorplan. Agree, too small for Ellen and me, but it might work (the combination of features of the entire B).

The onan is under with all, so a neutral. The batteries I think of as No maintenance, just replacement - hopefully?

500 miles is too far, I'll wait. Have fun shopping, and please let us hear more.......

Bud
Hi Bud,
We have not been in one yet. Closest one is in Tuscon and we're in SW Colorado. We have been in the 20L, which is like the Travato and a few others.

I'm 5'9" and Kelly is a little shorter, so I think the bed maybe ok. The disadvantage i see is that one of us will have to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I would be the one getting up.

Would love to hear from somebody who has seen one of these at a show or a dealer.

Tom
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,274
Default

I'm intrigued by the layout. Seems very useful and efficient. But . . . for the bed length (I'm 6'2") and limited opening windows for cross ventilation.

The other negatives you listed are pretty standard for class b's.

I can't find any bed length listed on the Thor website. Seems odd. My guess is that it is 72" at best. If I'm wrong, and the bed is 76", it would be at the top of my list should I shop for a new "b".

I hope someone will post the bed length.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default

I have a call into the Thor sales rep I met at the Denver RV Show. I'll post his answer as soon as I hear from him.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,099
Default

That bed width looks very narrow if that is all to scale. Less than half the van width, kind of like some of the Travatos. Compared to a full width front or rear sleeper it would be very tight for two people, I think
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default Bed Size

Colin from the Factory measured the bed and it is 74" x 59" - just a bit shorter than a Queen size which is 80" x 60".
I think that will work for us.
Tom
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Colin from the Factory measured the bed and it is 74" x 59" - just a bit shorter than a Queen size which is 80" x 60".
I think that will work for us.
Tom

Interesting, as it appears they have something drawn oddly in the floorplan, as it appears to show it extended and 60" is going to be close to full width of the van. The show the seat belts way at the outside wall so the base would be too wide for sitting as shown. At 60" you would likely not have to crawl over, but would require a shimmy down the middle to get off the foot end. This is similar to a lot of rear sleepers unless you have one that you can leave a notch in the middle foot area to make it easier or use it as twins.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Interesting, as it appears they have something drawn oddly in the floorplan, as it appears to show it extended and 60" is going to be close to full width of the van. The show the seat belts way at the outside wall so the base would be too wide for sitting as shown. At 60" you would likely not have to crawl over, but would require a shimmy down the middle to get off the foot end. This is similar to a lot of rear sleepers unless you have one that you can leave a notch in the middle foot area to make it easier or use it as twins.

booster, I think that you need to take another look.

The Promaster is the widest van. The bed on the driver's side is below the window and touching the wall of the van. On the other side is Only the shallow depth cabinet with the bed below the top of the cabinet sticking out some. The cabinet appears to only be about 9-12 inches deep without the top.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
booster, I think that you need to take another look.

The Promaster is the widest van. The bed on the driver's side is below the window and touching the wall of the van. On the other side is Only the shallow depth cabinet with the bed below the top of the cabinet sticking out some. The cabinet appears to only be about 9-12 inches deep without the top.

Bud

They show the "cargo" dimension on a Promaster at 75.6" here:


https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-promaster/cargo.html


If the bed really is 59" wide, that only leaves about 16" not covered by the bed.


Usually in pix like the floorplan, I would expect that the seatbelt location would be the seatback edge to the bottom, but in this case they must not show the back cushion and they can't be showing the bed in the down position , which I kind of would expect it to be because of the dotted line.


With 16" left in width beyond the bed, it must get all the way to the cabinet line by the door.


It is very unusual, I think, to see a fold down bed drawn the way it is in the floorplan without an outline of the open size is all I am saying.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default

I agree that the floor plan is unclear on how the bed folds out.

Here is a video of the bed being assembled. Start at 6:30
https://youtu.be/aH-fEm3ESao

The bed appears to go right up to the narrower countertop on the starboard side. That countertop must be only 14" to 15" wide to make it all fit.

booster - we used to live in Chaska, MN and still have a place near Shell Lake, WI
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 82
Default

W9TR, The Thor Sequence 20K looks like an innovative floorplan. Try it on for size and let us know. It appears there are more 20Ls out there than 20Ks. Good luck.
__________________
2010 LTV Free Spirit
1989 VW Westfalia
NAZCamperVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,595
Default

Most of commercial campervans have limited road clearance.

My main concern would be nighttime ingress and egress for the window side of the bed and because of this I would opt for the L version. On K version once the bed is made there is not much room to move including accessibility of the galley, L has a good day/night galley access.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,695
Default

That floor plan is popular. This is Sue Valentine's similar plan. This is a short video of how she planned it with cardboard mockups.



This is the finished van. Sue explains her bed in that location in great detail so is worth watching.



Then there is George of Humble Road who built his first van again with a similar floor plan and devoted a lot of time on the bed in several videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...road+van+build

Cutting to the chase, on edit this is Humble Road's finished first van with the similar bed.

__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #15
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 31
Default Scott at Go small live large has a walk through

I think it's at the Tampa super show.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Colin from the Factory measured the bed and it is 74" x 59" - just a bit shorter than a Queen size which is 80" x 60".
I think that will work for us.
Tom
Thanks for the update on bed size Tom. At 74" that is a bit short for me. But, the fact your feet can hang off would work for me. Right now, my bed is 76" and is fine, however, there are head boards and foot boards that I touch if not perfectly centered. This would not happen as easily in the Sequence.

We're going to the Houston RV Expo in February and will very interested in checking them out. I hope some dealer, or better yet Thor, brings one to the show.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,695
Default

I'm taking care of the bed length question in another way. I had my annual physical monday and I lost another 1/2" in height. That's now 2" since 18 years of age.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #18
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Most of commercial campervans have limited road clearance.

My main concern would be nighttime ingress and egress for the window side of the bed and because of this I would opt for the L version. On K version once the bed is made there is not much room to move including accessibility of the galley, L has a good day/night galley access.
Thanks George - that's our concern as well. We are weighing that against a lot more cabinet space, a bigger refrigerator, and more counter space. The 20L layout seems to be an exact copy of the Travato and a few other manufacturers have copied it as well - you can't argue with success!
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:18 AM   #19
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Salida
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm taking care of the bed length question in another way. I had my annual physical monday and I lost another 1/2" in height. That's now 2" since 18 years of age.
Thanks for posting the video links. They were very helpful. I used to be 5' 10". I'm shrinking. This growing old stuff is not for sissies!
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #20
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm taking care of the bed length question in another way. I had my annual physical monday and I lost another 1/2" in height. That's now 2" since 18 years of age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Thanks for posting the video links. They were very helpful. I used to be 5' 10". I'm shrinking. This growing old stuff is not for sissies!
So true.
__________________

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×